Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Tartan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011

Steveoe is on a distinguished road
Tartan 37 Propellor

I have owned my '77 Tartan 37 for 13 years and everytime I come out of the water I always tell myself to put on a new propeller. This time, I really mean it it. I have good running original Westerbeke 40, with the original 2 bladed prop, One inch prop shaft, 16" diameter, and don't believe thier is more than 1-2 inches of clearance from the hull. In flat water, no current, best I have ever been able to do is 5.2 - 5.4 knots. Motoring to windward in Galveston Bay chop and a 25 knot breeze is a no go, but hey, I like to sail anyway.
I have never really had any reverse control with this boat either. I am coming out of the water for a 30 year overhaul, new paint, topsides and deck, major $'s, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this new prop, but I sure would like to get another 1.5 to 2 knots out of it. What are experiences out their? I am not opposed to a 3 blade fixed prop, but would like to stay away from it for the drag. Will a 2 or 3 blade folding prop give me better performance and control?
One of the reasons I haven't done this on past haulouts is that the issue just befuddles me to no end. Looking for true answers. T-37, #28, "Lagnaippe", Galveston Bay

Last edited by Steveoe; 08-08-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling, grammer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I am running a 3-bladed Autostream on our T37http://www.westbynorth.com/AutostreamShaftDrive.aspx

I cant recall off the top of my head what size it is but if you contact them West by North Enterprises - Contact Us they will assist you in finding the proper size and will preset the gearing for you.

I cant say how it compares to running the original two bladed prop since we purchased the boat with the Autostream, but I can easily do better than 7 knots SOG at about 2800 rpm, and 6.5 at 2200. I also cant comment on the fuel consumption as my W50 is not running well

I would add, many I know have had wonderful results with their Campbell Sailor fixed prop. West by North Enterprises - Campbell Sailer Member Mainesail has some very good data about it on his website and here I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-26-2012

wkinsey is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan 37 Propellor

I bought a 3blade 16" autostream feathering prop to replace my folding martec on my 1977 T37. Very significant improvement as I can easily do 6kt in calm water at about 2200 rpm and up to 7kt if I push it. The major imporvement was against a heavy chop and in reverse where I have much better power and contol. Rejoice
Old 08-30-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

I put a 16 X 11 two blade folding from Varifold and it makes about 6.2 knots at around 2200 RPM's and approaching hull speed at 3000 RPM's. I went from an old Martec two blade folding that was a 16 X 12 with similar forward speed but the difference in reverse is amazing. There is a few discussions over on the Tartan37.com website on the topic if you're interested.
Old 11-12-2012

MHRitter is on a distinguished road

click here for a 3 blade vs two blade comparison.
[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/FONT]show you how[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'].[/FONT]