Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > Temporary SN Changes Forum
 Not a Member? 

Temporary SN Changes Forum This forum will only be up until we decide on the SN changes.

Like Tree17Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Changes

I can understand not wanting to see the off topic posts or the looking for a date section, but crew wanted/available is at least sailing related.

This time of year there are a lot of people who want to become part of a sailing crew. Where better to post than on a sailing forum? It will die down as the kids return to college and/or the others figure out it's not that easy to find available crew spots during hurricane season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySiegel View Post
I just think it's remarkable that members here would like industry involvement but don't realize the slaps and hits-for-money that result when it actually happens.
Actually I realy dont want industry involvement here at all in the postings. If I have a technical industry question I will contact the specific purveyor. To me its better if their contained in a specific area.

What I dont need is competing anchor companies, software companies, cluttering up the site. A few times some of them or their proxies have snuck on giving advice, siggestions, endorsements and the average or new poster doesnt realizie they are responding from a purely commercial company point of view.

Even with your posts I have to take them with a discriminating eye sometimes because you own Active Captain and I have found some of your opinions may be based on that. (BTW- I Like AC and use it frequently).

Having commercial posters is a trickly issue. I certainly am not a proponent either of the currect policy of allowing only the commercial interests who support Sailnet financially to be the only ones who can post one here. At least segregating them to a specific area would be somewhat better.

As a specific example Mantus is a financial supporter of SN. This is not about whether they have a superior or good product or not. There are many other anchors out there like Rocna/ Manson etc. Mantus very cleverly either start a thread or respond to a current anchor thread keeping their name in the forefront in the regular threads. Very smart marketing technique. I dont begrudge them for doing it, its just that they are the only ones allowed to "advertise" because they pay the freight.

Dave
miatapaul likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-29-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Actually I realy dont want industry involvement here at all in the postings. If I have a technical industry question I will contact the specific purveyor. To me its better if their contained in a specific area.

What I dont need is competing anchor companies, software companies, cluttering up the site. A few times some of them or their proxies have snuck on giving advice, siggestions, endorsements and the average or new poster doesnt realizie they are responding from a purely commercial company point of view.

Even with your posts I have to take them with a discriminating eye sometimes because you own Active Captain and I have found some of your opinions may be based on that. (BTW- I Like AC and use it frequently).

Having commercial posters is a trickly issue. I certainly am not a proponent either of the currect policy of allowing only the commercial interests who support Sailnet financially to be the only ones who can post one here. At least segregating them to a specific area would be somewhat better.

As a specific example Mantus is a financial supporter of SN. This is not about whether they have a superior or good product or not. There are many other anchors out there like Rocna/ Manson etc. Mantus very cleverly either start a thread or respond to a current anchor thread keeping their name in the forefront in the regular threads. Very smart marketing technique. I dont begrudge them for doing it, its just that they are the only ones allowed to "advertise" because they pay the freight.

Dave
I agree, all you have to do is look at some of the anchor threads, especially the big one over at Anything-Sailing, where there were agents and or interested parties posting and stating they "had no interest" and what not but were obviously from Ronca. A check on IP address usually ferrets them out, though it gets pretty obvious when all there posts are about one thing, and always in the favor of one company.

And there was the recent bit of personal attacking between a couple of vendors that got censored. Vendors posting on forums rarely turns out good for the product they are trying to sell. I have always thought the Mantus postings were a bit odd, as they seem to be the only one allowed to do it, and posting like it is news is almost like the ads in magazines that make themselves look like news articles. I have to say Mantus does do a good job but it is always seems to be teetering on disingenuous to me.

Oh and having two log-ins would violate the terms of service anyway.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-15-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Bob Bitchin's new magazine/site is called Cruising Outpost. He started it after someone bought L&A but then shut it down.
Cruising Outpost

Vector X + Y
Old 12-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

With the sale of SailNet, this thread is no longer needed. Leaving it visible for reference.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Closed Thread