Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > Temporary SN Changes Forum
 Not a Member? 

Temporary SN Changes Forum This forum will only be up until we decide on the SN changes.

Like Tree17Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Sailnet Changes

We are implementing a number of Sailnet changes and forum changes. As of now, these are:

1) Lattitiudes and Attitudes will be removed. The company/magazine has gone under. All thread will be moved to general discussion. Sorry, but there really isn't a better way to handle this.

2) Crew Wanted. We are going to alter the name of Crew Wanted to Crew Wanted and Available. Little thing, but, logical.

3) Apps and Books. We are going to implement a new forum which will allow members and vendors to present their SAILING RELATED apps and books. We hope this will help the general membership see what is available out there and even let the developers/writers talk about them. I think its going to be kinda cool if it does not get taken advantage of.

We have quite a few other changes I have discussed in the past which we are working on. Be patient.

Brian
Silvio, JulieMor, jimgo and 3 others like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-09-2013), JulieMor (06-19-2013)
Old 06-07-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Changes

Bob Bitchin's new magazine/site is called Cruising Outpost. He started it after someone bought L&A but then shut it down.

Last edited by dvuyxx; 06-07-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

WHat is latitudes and attitudes and cruising outpost? must less a bob bitchin?!?!?!?! does he beech a lot about things?!?!?

Marty
dvuyxx likes this.
Old 06-08-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Latitudes & Attitudes was a cruising lifestyle magazine. Bob Bitchin (a nickname given to him by Cheech and Chong) founded that magazine in the 1990s. He founded Biker and Tattoo magazines in the 60's.
Old 06-11-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

2) Crew Wanted. We are going to alter the name of Crew Wanted to Crew Wanted and Available. Little thing, but, logical.

Brian
"Crew Wanted and Available" is not parallel in English structure. Either change to "Crew Wanted / Crew Available" or "Crew Wanted/Available".

But what do I know. Nothing goes out without my secretary proof reading at work.
jimgo likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Ok everyone, here we go:

We are going to start implementing a lot of changes. Some may work, some may not. I expect some of you will like a lot of the changes, some will hate them. We may come to keep everything we do, or we may go back to teh way it was or some combination of things. In essence, we are trying to be open minded and try out new things, understanding that many may not work.

So, here goes the beginning:

Lats and Atts forum is gone. I may reach back out to Bob and see if we want to do another joint venture... but that will be a bit before I get that going (I suspect). It requires a LOT of time from me to implement the stories into the system.

I am changing the Crew wanted to Crew Wanted/Available. Reason is obvious.

We are adding a Apps and Authors section. We will allow producers of apps and writers of books (even for profit) to post and chat about their stuff there. We will have to come up with some rules though, and don't be surprised if they keep changing until we get something that works. But the way we (mods) see it, it is not in competition to SN or anything they do there and can be a big plus for the members.

Significant Other Forum. We are still mulling exactly what we are going to call this, but basically it is where men/women can post for others to come join them in a more personal way - Match.com kinda thing for sailors. Look, I know many of you don't want this to turn into a dating site. I have absolutely no interest in it either. But I am also sensitive to those who have a passion for the sea and are looking for someone to come share it with. If I was single and looking for a SO/GF/Wife, I would sure want to make sure she had an interest in cruising. If she didn't, that could be a long term issue. And the truth is, even if I don't put up this forum, people are going to continue to post for SO's to sail with them. SO let's give it a try ans see what happens.

We are going to start trying to hand out discount coupons for extraordinary posts and great members. THey will be for use with the SN store.

We are considering a Vendor section. It too is something where we need to work out the kinks. But effectively, it would allow Gerry DOuglas of Catalina to post and chat about a new boat launch or their philosophy, A yanmar rep to chat about their engines, Bob Perry (if he was so interested) to discuss a design and philosophy, Beneteau, Hunter, PSC, Jabsco, Lewmar, etc, etc, etc. This is a real stretch for us because it crosses into the advertising thing. But if there is a way to do it so that it is a great benefit to the membership without it screwing up income for SN or becoming a glorified advertisement, then we will do it.

So there's a start. We may have some other things to add as time goes by too. Cut us a little slack as we try to make these things work for everyone.
canucksailorguy and LoboPops like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I really like the idea of the vendor section. It would be nice to have the vendors be more interactive, and to be able to share that with the others here. Keeping it compartmentalized is also a good idea. Good luck with cutting the rules; I know that will be tough.
oysterman23 and LoboPops like this.
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Cruisingdad (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I really like the idea of the vendor section. It would be nice to have the vendors be more interactive, and to be able to share that with the others here. Keeping it compartmentalized is also a good idea. Good luck with cutting the rules; I know that will be tough.
Well, we are going to try. Fingers crossed.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-19-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

I'm with Jim. Looking forward to the changes, and best of luck.
Old 06-20-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

How about adding a c27 forum under your Catalina forum? I think there are quite a few c27 owners who would welcome such a forum. I know, I would. TIA for considering my request.
Closed Thread