Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > Temporary SN Changes Forum
 Not a Member? 

Temporary SN Changes Forum This forum will only be up until we decide on the SN changes.

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Feedback and questions please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Hey Brian

Good idea

I never visit the piracy thread

I recon we should clean up some stickies that were posted many years ago and haven't been posted on for two years - I wonder how many people still visit them? I don't know how to tell.
I will look into it.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
The newsfeed also eats up space on my android.
The choices available on 'new posts' (off topic) are not there on android
I cant fix that E. Sorry.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Add a dedicated section on Navigation. Subsections for electronic, paper, Max C, C Map, Celestial etc.

Maybe a section of tutorials by the experienced navigators to help the upcoming corinthian sailors.
I will run a poll on this and a few other things.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If I understand the question, I think you're asking about the number of forums and sub-forums. I think of threads as the original post and all its replies on a specific subject line.

I like the idea of a Nav Forum. Fine with combining Seamanship into General.

However, this entire Forum has too many sub-forums by multiples. There are so many, I think it dilutes their usefulness. Don't most just go to General and Gear, as they are the most clearly understood?

The Welcome Forum section has four subsections

General Interest section, I think has 14.

I agree, major cleanup and consolidation would make sense.
Will put this into the poll, Minne.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
Bring introductions into the General Discussion, that way we can welcome new-comers without having to search around.
I will poll it.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Seems to me Seamanship/Navigation makes a good combo so you could just add Navigation to the title.

I know you said no mention of "off topic" but I will interject it here anyway. How about making it an optional forum that you have to sign up for to participate in and is semi private. To me it seems it has become so divisive and nasty that I would rather not even see it. Unfortunately either the app or Tapatalk if you choose "latest topics" you get mostly off topic. This might also keep it out of the reach of Google search bots as we seem to get new members that only hang out in the off topic and do not contribute any sailing worthy posts. I understand the desire for off topic, but some don't want to see it and it seems to be chasing away some good posters and attracting some not so. I also understand that it is becoming a major draw so I imagine it is not in the admins interests to do away with it entirely.
A decision (not necessarily ours) was made to keep OT as it is for right now. If you click on Today's Posts you can choose no OT.

Tying to balance between everyone's wishes here and make everyone kinda happy.

Brian
chef2sail likes this.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
The only way I can normally find a post is to do a web search that includes my query and "sailnet.com". Please fix the search function on the forum.
I suspect if we remove a lot of the sub forums this will change.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
My $0.02 worth... Make it easy to post a new thread. I always seem to have difficulty finding the button to click to do a new post. (Yeah... I'm old and not too bright!)
Cannot change that. It is a software (VB) thing.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I don't know how you would do this, but I would like to see a "bookshelf" containing fiction and nonfiction books about sailing in addition to the articles. A netflix type review, quality review (***s) and an ebook source after title and author would add to usefulness. Wading through the good reading thread is tedious and not very informative when looking for something new to read.
Often, as mentioned above, when asking a question in one of the sub forums, very few people see it and consequently even fewer answers are provided. I guess the way to solve this problem is to daily bump it so it gets into the new posts.
Donna turned me on to using google search with sailnet in the search criteria and that works, but it would be nice to be able to search within a topic and find other/older posts on the topic.
For a while I was reading the piracy reports, but that is just satisfying my purient interests. So I stopped. I rarely look at off topic because it is impolite.
Last, but not least, include a spell check in the quick reply panel that runs automatically, like on an iPad. Some posts are almost unintelligible because of spelling.
We have added an apps and authors section. We may split the Authors (ir, books) into two separate forums. Hopefully this would help.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
My problem is that there are 4 implementations of "New Posts", all different. The one that appears to be most used ("New Posts (no OT/politics)") disappears depending on where you are in the site.

Home shows new posts from a select set of forums.

New Posts shows everything. This one is highlight and has two buttons on the forum at all times for logged in users.

New Posts (2 variations of Off Topic/Political) show a subset that is larger than the homepage, but not everything.

Today's Posts is yet another view that is like New Posts, but with a time bound.

I'd argue that the homepage view (you get there by clicking "Home") should match "New Posts (no OT/Political)". The "New Posts" quick link should also take you there, or be configurable.

Cleaning this up would make the forum experience a lot better.
That is a programming thing. I cannot do that, only the full admin (jeff J)

Sorry.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: