Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > Temporary SN Changes Forum
 Not a Member? 

Temporary SN Changes Forum This forum will only be up until we decide on the SN changes.

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Feedback and questions please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Not just spelling, but using incorrect words (then/than, to/too/two) and using the infernal crap that some call "texting" (more correctly a lack of text) in posts: IIRC..ROTDLFMFFAO...IMHO.... I don't know what that means usually, and it distracts from an otherwise intelligible post, and abbreviations for places instead of just telling us what places you are talking about (thinking of sailing from VBF to SNK), Oh... well, yes I've sailed to Seoul, North Korea.
I don't mind real typos and such... aw, I'll just shut TF up.
I get a spell check... not sure why you guys don't. But anyways, that again is programming and VB stuff. Not something I can (or know how) to do.

Brian
Seaduction likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Spell check is now standard with IE 10.

While you're in the mood to make changes, would you consider adding an owner's group for Allmand's? I may be the only participant, but...
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Spell check is now standard with IE 10.

While you're in the mood to make changes, would you consider adding an owner's group for Allmand's? I may be the only participant, but...
Done...

B

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-26-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I emailed the admins with my list of suggestions. That often seems to fall on deaf ears, but hopefully I get a response this time.
Old 06-26-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Just to give you an idea of how a wiki can be implemented into a forum (not a sailing forum, but shaving forum):

Main Page - Badger & Blade

Strange there seems to be forums out there for everything! I happen to be into traditional safety razor/straight razor shaving.
Old 06-26-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I have more of a question about the site in general..I click on the boat search thingy and get a more or less blank page every time. It is a very nice blue color, but nothing on it...is that part of the site not working yet or something?
Old 06-26-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I have more of a question about the site in general..I click on the boat search thingy and get a more or less blank page every time. It is a very nice blue color, but nothing on it...is that part of the site not working yet or something?
It eventually loads for me (takes several minutes to load) but you have to have adblockers turned off. Your not missing much there was not even one sailboat featured, or even sailboat companies. It is a link to Boating Magazine inside a "sailnet" frame. Actually there is a sailboat in the background of the last photo.

You know I love this forum, but I just don't understand the management of the parent site's store. This is the largest community of sailors there is. I don't think they really put much emphasis on web business, half the time there is a "featured product" it is out of stock and no longer available or not found. I would love to have sailnet as a good source to buy boating things, but I don't even see people here talking about buying from them. When you go to the "home page" it lists latest articles and the top one (and logically that should be the most recent) is from 03-02-2010, if your not updating them then take it off the page. Here is an example this is listed as a daily special - KWIK TEK AIRHEAD G-FORCE W/ TOP SIDE STABILIZER it is a tow-able toy. How many sailboats can go fast enough to get a tow-able toy to plane? of the 10 items listed there are 4 tow-able tubes, and a trolling motor and some sort of "nextbook" that is item not found when you click on it. In fact of the 10 items only 5 are found when you click on them. This worries me as this is the site that sponsors the forum. If they don't stay in business then the site disappears. So we all have a stake in the parent company staying in business. Just seems to be such a lost opportunity.

I work in technology and find this totally unacceptable. By the way I am open to offers by the way, though I am not a web designer, and have not done a website since doing one in HTML in notepad, but could not do any worse. I would not shop here just because I would be afraid of how my credit card info was treated. I do work in POS and understand PCI compliance and how few companies actually meet it.

Last edited by miatapaul; 06-26-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2013

mdidomenico is on a distinguished road

I think the photo gallery could use an overhaul. Being fairly new here, the gallery is pretty overwhelming with information that's fairly useless (ie properties about the photos), it's also fairly slow given that each page needs to load dozens of thumbnails about where i might want to go.

it would also be nice if the galleries explained why i would want to look at one, right now when click on 'members galleries' it randomly chooses ones, it would be nice if it said like 'here's bob, look at the nifty things he did to his boat (with hi-res pictures)'

it would also be nice to stop all the animatey things, ie smiley's, the thing in the titlebar, the drop down menus that explode rather then just appear (i find things that move on the screen distracting when i read)
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-27-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
It eventually loads for me (takes several minutes to load) but you have to have adblockers turned off. Your not missing much there was not even one sailboat featured, or even sailboat companies. It is a link to Boating Magazine inside a "sailnet" frame. Actually there is a sailboat in the background of the last photo.

You know I love this forum, but I just don't understand the management of the parent site's store. This is the largest community of sailors there is. I don't think they really put much emphasis on web business, half the time there is a "featured product" it is out of stock and no longer available or not found. I would love to have sailnet as a good source to buy boating things, but I don't even see people here talking about buying from them. When you go to the "home page" it lists latest articles and the top one (and logically that should be the most recent) is from 03-02-2010, if your not updating them then take it off the page. Here is an example this is listed as a daily special - KWIK TEK AIRHEAD G-FORCE W/ TOP SIDE STABILIZER it is a tow-able toy. How many sailboats can go fast enough to get a tow-able toy to plane? of the 10 items listed there are 4 tow-able tubes, and a trolling motor and some sort of "nextbook" that is item not found when you click on it. In fact of the 10 items only 5 are found when you click on them. This worries me as this is the site that sponsors the forum. If they don't stay in business then the site disappears. So we all have a stake in the parent company staying in business. Just seems to be such a lost opportunity.

I work in technology and find this totally unacceptable. By the way I am open to offers by the way, though I am not a web designer, and have not done a website since doing one in HTML in notepad, but could not do any worse. I would not shop here just because I would be afraid of how my credit card info was treated. I do work in POS and understand PCI compliance and how few companies actually meet it.
Well I guess I will never see it because I do not turn off the anti-malware, ad blocker, pop up blocker, virus protection and firewall stuff on my computer. Once some of that garbage gets on a laptop it is hard to scrub it off.
The Ol Man likes this.