Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > Temporary SN Changes Forum
 Not a Member? 

Temporary SN Changes Forum This forum will only be up until we decide on the SN changes.

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Feedback and questions please...

CD and Admin,

Xort started a thread regarding info from members about various anchorages/marinas, etc. from specific cruising areas in terms of how they rate for provisioning, transportation, accommodations, etc. It's a great idea.

How would we implement this kind of thing on SN? We have tons of members here that would be willing to provide the information, so the gathering shouldn't be too hard - but what is a good mechanism for that gathering, and more importantly, the presentation of it?

Would it be its own sub-forum broken down by areas, etc.? What do you guys think?
chef2sail and The Ol Man like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Would be a great idea. We have a database on restaurants and eateries on the Chesapeake which is kept by SV Auspicious. It is in he Chesapeake section of Destinations. Maybe each of those sections could have a subsection for anchorages, restaurants and eateries with personal comments. Active Captain of course already does this.

The only question would be the accuracy for navigational directions being accurate.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-22-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Dave, I haven't seen anything like this on AC; did I miss it? I know I can click on an individual marina/point of interest and read about it, but I don't see any way of looking at other places nearby. I like hte list method, because there may well be a place that I'd like to try that either doesn't show up in AC, or that I skipped reading about for any of a number of reasons.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Looks like we're gaining a little traction on this. I'll pm the admin to make sure he's sees this thread.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Dave, I haven't seen anything like this on AC; did I miss it? I know I can click on an individual marina/point of interest and read about it, but I don't see any way of looking at other places nearby. I like hte list method, because there may well be a place that I'd like to try that either doesn't show up in AC, or that I skipped reading about for any of a number of reasons.
In AC you can click on marinas nearby. Look in the comments for restaurants.

If you are looking fr restaurants...use yelp...much more extensive list.

Having some sort of subset. Under either the current destinations category may be the answer. For instance under Chesapeake...have a sub thread for restaurants, one for anchorages, one for stores, one for marine supplies/ services. The structure is somewhat set up already. Each of the Destinations areas can have exact same sub threads for continuity.

Ed ( Xort) and LRC may need different types of stores, marine needs than say some of s who live in the area, but could also dra from the data base wed post within out areas. I go to Long Iland every summer and rely upon SN friends I have or recommendations on repairs, restaurants, stores, anchorages etc.
it woud be nice to ave it better organized.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-11-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Still WAY too many sub forums.
Look at all the sub forums in destinations that are pretty dead. You could shrink that by 2/3 or more.

East coast NA
West coast NA
Great lakes and inland NA
Europe
Pacific isl
Carib

Ditto with most other forums
Old 08-19-2013
Wanderer

Wandersome is on a distinguished road

I miss chat on my iPad.... Can't use it during the day on my laptop and I don't open my laptop at night when I have the time to visit the forum.... ... Jmo
Old 08-22-2013

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Obsolete I.D.'s. I have an obsolete I.D. in addition to my current one. When I came back to SN I found I could not use my old I.D. So I got a new one. I think there are obsolete I.D.'s like my old one that for some obsolete reason can no longer sign on. I think I might be a good thing to clean them up.
Old 08-22-2013

0verdrive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luck66 View Post
Obsolete I.D.'s. I have an obsolete I.D. in addition to my current one. When I came back to SN I found I could not use my old I.D. So I got a new one. I think there are obsolete I.D.'s like my old one that for some obsolete reason can no longer sign on. I think I might be a good thing to clean them up.
I guess that depends on how old the IDs have to be to be considered "obsolete." I joined 5 years ago, and was fairly active for a couple years. Then I had a daughter, and as a result, I haven't been sailing in 2 summers now. (We have a small scow that wouldn't be safe for my daughter, and I haven't been able to justify leaving my wife and daughter at home while I go to the lake for the day.) That said, my daughter is getting old enough that within a few years I should be able to get a boat that I can take her and my wife on, and things are looking up - so I started checking out sailnet again a few days ago. And I was glad to find my account still here!

(In short, two years' absence does not necessarily mean we won't be back. 5? Maybe...)
Old 08-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verdrive View Post
I guess that depends on how old the IDs have to be to be considered "obsolete." I joined 5 years ago, and was fairly active for a couple years. Then I had a daughter, and as a result, I haven't been sailing in 2 summers now. (We have a small scow that wouldn't be safe for my daughter, and I haven't been able to justify leaving my wife and daughter at home while I go to the lake for the day.) That said, my daughter is getting old enough that within a few years I should be able to get a boat that I can take her and my wife on, and things are looking up - so I started checking out sailnet again a few days ago. And I was glad to find my account still here!

(In short, two years' absence does not necessarily mean we won't be back. 5? Maybe...)
yea, there could be emails sent out asking if they wanted to keep them active, but I imagine they will be kept as it pumps up the stats. (Bigger # of registered users is attractive to advertizes)

How about getting rid of the Contributing Publishers as none seem to be used much. Especially Lats and Atts, as it does not even exist anymore. Cruising World has not had a post since 2012 and Practical Sailor since 2011.