SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Temporary SN Changes Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/temporary-sn-changes-forum/)
-   -   Sailnet Changes Poll 1 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/temporary-sn-changes-forum/100817-sailnet-changes-poll-1-a.html)

Cruisingdad 06-26-2013 11:21 AM

Sailnet Changes Poll 1

Ok, here we go. We are going to do this democratically (I hope). Understand that it is possible ownership may vote some of this down as they do have veto power. However, here goes the poll to decide what changes we will make. Majority wins, so any of you who are losers in this, just take it like a man (or woman) and don't get all huffy for Gawds sakes or I won't make it demicratic again (ever!!!).

First of all, I am not making ANY changes to OT. Don't go there.

This poll will run for a week or so, such that others who are absent can get their say in. If we need to add other polls into it, we will do so and likely let it run longer.

This is your chance to make the sight better. So if you don't vote, then just deal with the changes.

One last note: I cannot do ANYTHING that requires real programming. I am an idiot at computers, and am happy to say so. You may comment on this poll but but PLEASE only vote once. I can fix it so that you can only vote once via programming but there are some flaws in that and it would prevent us from adding polls in later and allowing you to vote on them. In essence, don't cheat!!

So the debateable topics I see at this point are as follows...

PBzeer 06-26-2013 12:22 PM

Re: Sailnet Changes Poll 1

While some may feel inconvenienced by having to scroll through more posts than they want to, as long as a sub-forum is active, I see no purpose in closing it.

FSMike 06-26-2013 01:15 PM

Why are we even having these polls?
Sailnet works just fine for me as is.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

andrewoliv 06-26-2013 01:45 PM

Sailnet Changes Poll 1

SailNet as matured into more of a knowledge base. Almost every subject there is as been discussed from Anchors to Zincs.

There is so much information it is becoming difficult to find what subject you are looking for:

For example recently I wanted to know opinions concerning the different types of Anchors. Search for anchors and 47 discussions or more come up. Doesn't make any sense to start a new thread because I am sure this topic as been discussed repeatedly.

Most new threads of are of a subject that has been discussed.

My suggestion would be to change the format to more of a wiki/knowledge base AND discussion forum.

SailNet is filled with valuable content that should be easier accessible.

MarkofSeaLife 06-26-2013 02:44 PM

Forums are dynamic. They change and need to keep up with change.

Instead of keeping old threads about a subjevt eg Anchors. I would delete the after twoi years and let the discussion occur again.

I doubt a Wki will work. Theres one on Cruisers Forum that has tried and tried and always died before its started.

No discussion = no forum. imho

BentSailor 06-26-2013 09:44 PM

I'll qualify my answer by stating that I don't think the majority of the top-level subforums are visited by most people or would be. Boat Builders Row comes to mind - it could easily be a subforum of it's own (with each build underneath being a subforum of that). You'd halve the front page right there.

Minnewaska 06-26-2013 09:48 PM

I voted, but caution this approach.

It has twisted shorts before to be asked for a democratic opinion and then "ownership" may vote it down.

paulk 06-27-2013 12:00 AM

I have always been a fan of having more action on forums. The reason to have a forum is to group people together to share what they know, creating a critical mass that draws more in to it because of the excitement it generates. Subforums dilute the action and detract from the critical mass. People might be interested in discussing an engine problem, but if it's posted on the A4 subforum, only the people with Atomic 4's will answer - though the problem may apply to any engine, and many people might have bee able to help.

tdw 06-27-2013 02:43 AM

Hey CD .... why so specific ? Surely you are an idiot at more than just computers ?

Run and hide, run and hide.

Yes, btw, i reckon we have too many. Forums not idiots.

BentSailor 06-27-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 1050490)
Yes, btw, i reckon we have too many. Forums not idiots.

Well, of course not... one can never have too many idiots on the Internet :p