Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2015

mbianka is on a distinguished road
Boot Key Harbor question.

I'm staring at a foot and a half of snow. A possible Ice storm arriving tomorrow. Freelance work has dried up so I may actually be fully "retired". Thinking about heading south for winters. Stopping along the Keys before heading out to the Dry Tortuga s in my own boat. Probably stopping at Boot Key Harbor if there is space. I've been there a few times being picked up or dropped off. But, did not spend much time there. Do people normally swim in the harbor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Boot Key Harbor question.

Not in the harbor itself, but there is a public beach at the mouth of Sister Creek that is popular, and what we in the Harbor refer to as Gilligan's Island, which is also located near the mouth of Sister Creek.

The harbor's waters are relatively clean and swimming would not be a problem if it were not for the occasional bull shark that tends to lurk among the boats on mooring balls. A couple guys dive in the harbor and clean boat bottoms, and it's rare for them to see a shark.

One of the great things about Marathon is this particular key is not one that the spring breakers head to - it's nothing like Key West and has lots of activities for folks that fit into the retirement category. Just off the beach at Sombrero Light there are mooring balls for snorkeling and the underwater visibility averages about 30 to 40 feet.

On days when the weather cooperates, I day sail on the gulf side of the key and enjoy the pristine waters.

Many good to excellent restaurants in town, plays nearly every night, lots of nite-life locations, and something going on nearly every night at the Marathon City Marina's Tiki Hut, including Saturday night jam sessions of which I'm a part of from January through mid March this year, and November through March this coming winter if I can manage to keep healthy enough for the trip down.

Get the Hell out of the snow belt, C'mon down to Paradise - Boot Key Harbor is a nice place to spend the winters.

All the best,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 02-07-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2015

Thanks Gary. I was thinking more about swimming from a pollution/sanitation issue. Never thought about a Bull shark roaming around. I just sometimes would like to jump over the side for a quick cool down swim. Might have to rethink that in Boot Key. I've snorkeled on Sombrero a number of times and was really surprised how good it was. These brutal back to back winters are not fun. Might feel differently when spring rolls around but, right now even heading to the boatyard to check on the boat seems like a pain with a foot and half of snow on the ground. Wintering in the Keys sounds pretty good right now. Starting to seriously think about it.

Old 02-07-2015
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Wintering in the Keys sounds pretty good right now.
Same here. Even Texas has proven to be uncomfortable for me. The v-berth cushions are on the deck (in the sun today) drying out from the condensation that has soaked into them.

I'm never going to spend another winter north of Miami. My wife went for a swim in Boot Key Harbor with no ill effects, but it could be risky. I prefer the Bahamas in the winter myself...

I hope you get some place warmer in the future.

Ralph
Group9 and mbianka like this.

Last edited by RTB; 02-07-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2015

cthoops is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't even hesitate to escape the winters if I were in your position. This simply blows. Life is too short to spend several months a year freezing my ass off and waiting for warm weather.

I'm counting down the years until we are out of here, and we definitely will not return.
mbianka likes this.

Old 02-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Same here. Even Texas has proven to be uncomfortable for me. The v-berth cushions are on the deck (in the sun today) drying out from the condensation that has soaked into them.

I'm never going to spend another winter north of Miami. My wife went for a swim in Boot Key Harbor with no ill effects, but it could be risky. I prefer the Bahamas in the winter myself...

I hope you get some place warmer in the future.

Ralph
One of the reason I'm thinking about the Keys first is a bucket list item to cruise on out to the Dry Tortugas with my own boat. Been out there by seaplane, tourist boat and on 70 foot schooner. Want to take my own boat and have my own schedule next time I visit.

Old 02-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
I wouldn't even hesitate to escape the winters if I were in your position. This simply blows. Life is too short to spend several months a year freezing my ass off and waiting for warm weather.

I'm counting down the years until we are out of here, and we definitely will not return.
Winters have not usually been too bad except for this year and last year. Usually I can get some boat projects done on the warm days. Just has not been happening lately. Another concern is what to do about the house while I am away. Another complication for me is my semi landlubber companion. She loves a winter vacation charter on a chartered Catamaran but, not really into long term cruising and teaches during the winter so finding a place close were we can easily connect up is a factor. On the other hand she is also talking about maybe renting on some island for a month or two. Some place where she might be able to teach English and brush up on her Spanish. I might be able to compromise on that. So I'm thinking about both scenarios. She would like to do some teaching and not just sit around. I on the other hand am perfectly happy just hanging out on the boat. So Boot Key sounds like a good base for awhile.

Old 02-08-2015

dave22q is on a distinguished road

live aboard here sure! swim at the boat? not me, we get a fair amount of pollution in the bay. it does not flush very well.
go outside the bay or to ocean end of sister creek water is fine.
Old 02-08-2015
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Yeah, pretty much what others have already said -- yes, you can swim in the Harbor, but a short dinghy run will take you to much better spots.

The only times I (intentionally) went into the water inside the Harbor was to do maintenance or to recover items that went over the side. If all we were doing was swimming for recreation, then Sombrero Beach was the preferred spot.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 02-16-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The Tortugas is about 120 miles from Boot Key Harbor, 75 miles from Key West. Right now, the weather is such that you would be stuck out there for several days before you could make the trip back to Key West. High winds have dominated the region this winter and temperatures are well below normal. Right now, though, it's 75 outside and I'm going fishing from my dock.

Good luck,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.