SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is Florida all its cracked up to be?

31K views 181 replies 51 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Is Florida all its cracked up to be?

I live in southern Oregon on the west cost. Sailing here is not easy by any means. Weather is on the cooler side and seas are choppy. But we do it.
I would like to spend more time on the water than I can here. I would love to try living aboard, but for now I am only able to devote about month a year to the sea.
So I believe for a budget minded person, Florida offers an incredible amount of opportunity. It would be great to have a boat in the 30 footer range and they seem to be affordable there. But I am thinking the upper 20s (27) with a retraceable keel maybe the bees knees for us. I own a northwest 21 now and love it.
:boat :

#4 ·
Florida is an expensive place to keep a boat and the local governments are working hard to restrict freedoms of navigation including anchoring. As noted above the Bahamas are much nicer. If you want to stay in the US there are a lot of great places to sail on the East Coast outside of Florida.

#6 ·
A few years ago I had the option to move (back) to Florida with a new company. Career wise it would have been a lateral move with promises of advancement.

I was torn. The sailing year round was beckoning me but the Florida traffic and cost of living increases made it an easy decision once I made a long list of pluses and minus (lifestyle and expenses). I stayed in New England and have not regretted it.

It really depends on what part of Florida you end up in. It's a big state and the costs and lifestyle can be polar opposites from one place to another. Spend a month in Live Oak, then a month in Miami :)

#14 ·
Hey,

I'm surprised that Florida could be more expense and have more traffic than CT (or really anywhere in New England).

The west cost of Florida (Punta Gorda) is on my short list of retirement places (hopefully in 10 years). I expect that will be MUCH cheaper than where I am on NY. My property taxes are over $10K a year. The Long Island sound sailing is great but the sailing season is too short. Traffic is bad and everything is expensive.

Barry

The sailing year round was beckoning me but the Florida traffic and cost of living increases made it an easy decision once I made a long list of pluses and minus (lifestyle and expenses). I stayed in New England and have not regretted it.

#7 ·
That would be awesome …..But I can drive to Florida and I don’t know much about the Bahamas. But part of the goal is to get there. I was figuring on a year or 2 on a smaller boat and then work my way up in boat size and out into deeper waters as I gain some experience.

#18 ·
That would be awesome …..But I can drive to Florida and I don't know much about the Bahamas. But part of the goal is to get there. I was figuring on a year or 2 on a smaller boat and then work my way up in boat size and out into deeper waters as I gain some experience.
Sure you can drive there from Oregon, but it is a long commute! I think you are close to one of the best sailing locations in the world. Other than warmth, you have destinations that Floridians would dream of having. Unless you are into flat and featureless landscape then you are already in a better place. One overbuilt cove in Florida is going to look exactly like all others, how many boring big houses can you look at? Sure cost of living is low, but so are wages and opportunities. You might be better off keeping the boat up in the Seattle/Bellingham/Everett area as they have more protected waters and all the islands to go out and explore. Way better than Florida in my opinion. If I had to be someplace else(other than North East) in the Continental US as far as sailing goes the North West woudl be next choice, then Chesapeake Bay, then Florida. Florida just holds little appeal to me. Sure the winters are warmer, but the summers are unbearable. I would rather suffer through a snowy winter than a Florida summer. Especially on a small boat with no AC in a marina!

#8 ·
With a trailerable boat it would lower the cost of storage considerably. To be honest I am a jump in all at once type of guy, but I have a wife that is a little more reserved. I guess the ideal is the mobility of the trailerable and if we don’t like it in one place we can cheaply move it to another.

#9 ·
My experience has only been week ends on a boat and I loved it. I am not sure I am into spending the next 5 years living aboard, 18 months on the other hand is real feasible. Unless living aboard means a chance to live a life of travel. We are addicted to traveling. A lot of it depends on how much my wife enjoys long term sailing. That is why I am thinking of doing it this way. If I get her hooked … I am in.

#11 ·
My wife and I are natives from Florida, she was born and raised there, I arrived as a teenager, we both went to schools there (FSU and FAU) so we know Florida well.

That said we're from West Palm Beach (WPB) and used to sail boats on Lake Worth all through Singer Island and Palm Beach. Her parents still lives there (Palm Beach Pointe) and we visit all the time and have seen Palm Beach County change dramatically... very expensive to live and keep a home/boat (cost and taxes). I'm sure living aboard a boat there would be astronomical in cost but sure you could anchor within the ICW but WPB and other cities there would may have their own ordinances... I would love to go back but not now... waiting for the right time...

As others have mentioned I would get a townhouse/apartment/condo and get a trailerable boat and enjoy Florida this way unless you are in the $3000-8000/mth club because that is what it would take to live in South Florida. There may be less expensive areas such as Port St. Lucie, Palm Bay, or the west coast like New Port Richey, Fort Myers, etc. Many great places and sure you'll find the right locale... great place and you can't beat the sun and waters.

#12 ·
Depends on where you need to be. Florida is a large and diverse state.

Very distinct differences between SE FL, the west coast and the pan handle. Not to mention the landlocked areas.

Where you choose to live will shape your opinion and experience.

#13 ·
We bought our first and only boat, A Jeanneau DS40, while we lived in Miami and yes the traffic is terrible. But that was where we both worked. We were not very good sailors in fact pretty bad (and still are). But we were able to sail Biscayne Bay 3 out of 4 weekends a year. It could be blowing 30+ and we could go out as the reef keeps the seas a bay. I sold my house and lived aboard for a short time while I got ready to leave.

The Bahamas are only what 90nm away so a week vacation at time and you can explore them a lot, they are a bit expensive through.

As for your boat size. Well we had a friend buy a 30 something live aboard and lived on it for a few years and then wanted to sell it and upgrade to go cruising. They really kept the boat in primo condition and just could not sell it. You will take a huge hit on trying to sell a small boat when you want to upgrade. One reason our first and only boat is a 40'. So from our perspective get what you want in the end and not worry about selling it later.

#15 · (Edited)
We relocated to Florida from Southern California due to work requirements in early 1992. We spent our first year in the Ft. Lauderdale area, keeping our boat behind a private home adjacent to the Lauderdale Yacht Club. Between the traffic (which rivaled that of SoCal, enhanced by the unpredictability of so many elderly drivers) and the difficulty of getting the boat to the sea and the traffic on the water itself, inshore, we hated it and couldn't wait to get back to California. After the first year, we moved to the southwest coast, in the vicinity of Sarasota which made a world of difference. The people are by and large very agreeable, these was/is, relatively little traffic (by California standards), the sailing is great with many interesting places to visit within easy reach, the cost of living very reasonable; and, the sea is on the "right" side (to port going north!). At this point, one couldn't pay me/us enough to go back to California.

Try the southwest coast of Florida. You'll like it.

Reactions: joebeach
#16 ·
I could keep my 35' boat in a slip in Florida for the entire year, for less than what I pay for the summer season (May - November) in RI. While I would preform a short haul every 6 months, it would be cheaper than paying to haul and store my boat for the winter (November - May). And I am not even including the cost to shrink wrap.

#17 ·
That may be correct for paying less in Florida for the year compared to what you pay in the summer season up north but you're still paying plenty compared to what the OP would afford.

Example I was looking at keeping a boat in NewPort Beach marina in Southern Caly... very expensive for a 30 foot costing $600-800/mth (electric extra)... this is way more expensive than here where I live where it is $11-12/ft... but still for a budget minded cruiser that too is expensive... Florida on the Southeast coast would be astronomical unless you have a well paying job. West coast no so much.

Punta Gorda is a lovely place and we have been there... Gasparilla Island, Marco Island, etc,.. are all great places to visit, homes are reasonable as well as apartment/condos... only problem would be employment and not much going on there unless you provide services to the seniors/elderly...

Have to agree I would prefer the West coast of Florida over South Florida... I like the sailing in West Palm Beach and it's vicinity.... can't beat it.

#29 ·
I don't know I enjoyed walking down the dock with snow up to my waste Saturday night! Do wish I could go out sailing though, but the off season makes you enjoy the season all the more. If I were to snowbird I would use Florida to jump off to the islands. And if I did not have to work, would continue around the Caribbean for a while. But the north west seems to have the best of both worlds, serious seasons, and great sailing destinations that are not too far apart and year round sailing and lack of hurricanes. Seems awesome to me.

#20 ·
I'm in Tampa at the moment. It was 38 F this morning. There is no wind. Around the west coast its shoal. There are few fish and nothing like the reef life seen in the eastern carribean. Between Q tips and racer boys driving is scary. The place is a cultural wasteland.
Yup Florida is great.
Actually cow country is nice as are the keys. ( it's race week down there). The rest not so much imho.

#21 ·
Don, I've lived aboard in the Florida Keys and boated in ever state from CT to south Florida for more than 60 years. For me, there is nothing better than the Florida Keys, however, it is expensive to be a live aboard there, but in reality, no more expensive than living in a home in Oregon, or Maryland, which is where I currently reside. The cost of slip rent for my 33 Morgan Out Island was $753 a month during the winter, which is the height of tourist season. It's a couple hundred less during the summer months and this includes water and electricity. I have a friend who lives in Boston that pays more than that for his real estate taxes in a modest home.

The weather during the winter is usually very dry, and you'll usually find good sailing nearly every day, either on the ocean side, or gulf side, depending upon the wind speed and direction. The waters are beautiful, turquoise color until you get about 5 miles offshore in the Atlantic, where they become azure blue. Temperatures during the winter range 75 to 85 degrees most years, but the past two years have been somewhat cooler, often in the mid to upper 60s.

Recreational fishing in the keys is beyond your wildest dreams. If you cannot catch fish here, you should take up golf or basket weaving - it's that good!

All other commodities seen to cost about the same as they do in Maryland or Oregon. Groceries were no more expensive in the Keys than they were at home. Haircuts were cheaper at the local barber shop, and there is a small hospital in Marathon and a few connected clinics nearby.

I have a friend that lives aboard in Punta Gorda, FL aboard a 38 Morgan, his slip rent is about $550 a month including electric and water. The marina provides them with lots of great things, including access to their swimming pool, restaurants, shopping is withing walking distance, and the live aboard community consists of folks mainly in the 45 to 65 year old category. Every evening just before sunset, they have a dockside happy hour and everyone usually brings some snacks as well.

Having lived in Spokane, WA for three years, it was absolutely beautiful there, but I really missed being near the ocean and boating. When I moved back to Maryland, the very first thing I did after building a new home was to purchase a boat big enough for navigating Chesapeake Bay. Now, some folks will tell you the Chesapeake offers the best sailing in the world - I beg to differ. The bay is a substantial body of water, but you can only sail about six months of the year, and most of the summer the winds are 5 to 10 from the southwest. Summers are hot, humid and sticky. Florida summers are hot, not nearly as humid in the keys, and in reality no warmer than it is in Maryland.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

#25 ·
Lived on the S.E coast for about a year now. Slip fees are roughly $700 a month. Insurance (full coverage) on a 30’ sailboat is $1600 a year + $180 for “Sea Tow”. You’ll see extreme rich right next to extreme pour within the same 1 mile radius. Very diverse culture. Last few night have been in the 50’s, days are typically in the 70’s this time of year. Summer days were in the low to mid 90’s with nights in the low to mid 80’s.

It’s a great location if you plan on hopping over to the Bahamas or down to the Keys. Also, with the ICW you have protected waters all the way up (and down) the coast.

The water clarity and diving is much better on the East side compared to the Gulf.

If all you want to do is day sail, the West coast may be better due to the shallow waters and larger bays. Lots of liveaboard marinas and a good racing culture too. It definitely has better beaches…. (some exceptions noted).

#27 ·
I was born and raised in St Augustine, FL. Love it there and it is a different mindset for boaters than much of the rest of the state. That said, so many restrictions are now trying to be imposed on anchorages it is doing the same thing as having a house near the beach: pricing the working folks out of the market. We left our house of 34 years 1500' from the ocean and 700' from the river when homeowners insurance and flood insurance became almost $15K/year. I love going back and plan to be a liveaboard one day in that area. The two coasts of FL are almost as unique as the two coasts of the US; both desirable in their own way.

#31 ·
I think there are a number of factors: sailing, seasons, services, and governance (you thought I was going for alliteration didn't you?).

In my opinion estuaries and archipelagos offer the best sailing. In the US that means Maine, Long Island Sound, Chesapeake Bay, the Florida Keys, and the straits of the Pacific Northwest. The Bahamas are wonderful as is the Eastern Caribbean. The Solent is grand. I can't speak to the South Pacific but the stories are wonderful. I have had the good fortune to sail in some other wonderful places although a disturbing number of them have been cold. *grin*

Sometimes seasons and sailing seem to be at odds. If you bundle up just a bit you can sail year round in the PNW. LIS and the Chesapeake really need heat to sail year round but anyone can get 3+ seasons. Both have the odd benefit for those so inclined of four or five months per year with no competition for some glorious anchorages. Maine is a two-and-a-half season sailing ground for all but the hardiest souls. The rest of my list are year round sailing.

You always have to watch out for cyclonic weather in choosing your sailing grounds.

Services are in direct conflict with privacy and isolation. You can get what you want anywhere but time and cost go up. The Florida Keys are a good example of that. So are the Bahamas.

Governance is important, at least to me. The Florida legislature continues to be responsive to homeowners who don't want boats in "their" view. Personally I don't want to spend money I don't have to in that State. Other states (Maryland, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and California come to mind) do silly things but none have gotten so personal (to me) as Florida.

There is no yard stick for these matters. Some people may like "out and back" sailing. Average temperature may mean more to some than others, or be weighted more or less heavily than sailing. We all have to make our own choices. We should not apply our own criteria to the choices other people make.

By way of example, Gary and I look at the same facts, weigh them according to what is important to us, and come to different conclusions. He thinks the Florida Keys can't be beat. You would have to pry me away from the Chesapeake with a crowbar (except for crossing oceans - I love that). Same data, different results. We aren't talking about science here - it is sociology. Gary is still my friend and I respect him and his choices, preferably from my cockpit at anchor in an unnamed creek on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

#32 ·
Avoid Miami like the plague.... Im a naitive...I grew up in Miami..It's gotten to crowded. Its very culturally diverse and thats a sword that cuts both ways... In some respects its great..the food, the music, the culture... and others not so great... The middle to lower Keys are great...Plenty of places to anchor out... good fishing, nice people...gets a bit busy in tourist season.. I live in Ft. Lauderdale now. The sailing in this city is limited to the Ocean as we have no large bays here and dockage can be expensive.

Florida's west coast is really nice...we are considering relocating to the Punta Gorda area. However, Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, and Port Charlotte are all fantastic..the weather is a bit cooler in winter than in South Florida...there's no Gulf Stream to regulate the temperatures.. AND dont forget..Florida has no state income tax.

#33 ·
To put things in perspective - would you rather be doing this:

Or this:

No question in my mind at all. ;) The top video was me blowing the first day's snow from my driveway, which took three hours. The bottom photo was typical of any day of the week sitting in the cockpit in the shade of the Bimini and enjoying a cold brewski.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.