Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
i can vouch for rickenbacker marina - i stayed there for 5 years - there are great sailors there along with some general great people and one of the best hurricane holes in miami - and that does not even get to the view
the sailing is great year round as biscayne bay is right there and a couple of day sails and you are in key west or a nice day sail and you are bimini - we stop and spend a couple of weeks in rickenbacker each year as we reprovision before heading to the bahamas -
the only reason we left is we became full time cruisers -
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in cape may nj waiting on a weather window
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
As already mentionned St Augustine is a nice place. In Florida, mine favorite place is Fort Pierce. Small town, lovely, good restaurants, plenty of marinas from 1$ a foot down to .5$ a foot (5 years ago).

In Fort Pierce you might be in touch with Rudy Sanchez at 772 475-3233. Rudy performs repairs and maintenance and deliveries as well. He is a very nice man.

Best of luck.
Old 10-01-2009

llsitton is on a distinguished road
We just bought a Seawind 1000 in Brunswick, Ga. Our plan was to sail her back to Kemah, Texas to outfit her for a 6-9 month cruise starting in January. However, my husband was called back to work so we are having her ferried back to Texas. We looked for captains and found them ranging from 250.00 a day to 400.00 a day plus expenses and transportation. We ended up paying the 400.00 a day but only because he was the only one that anyone we knew had knowledge of. The other captains may have been great but we felt they were an unknown. For us it was important to have references we trusted. We will be able to track her the entire way. She leaves October 7th. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-01-2009
stpetersburgsailor

gee, I would have done it for half that!

& I used to live in Savannah, & have a friend in Houston
Old 10-01-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are interested in the best sailing grounds in FL for November to April.
Frankly, the West Coast of Florida is probably the best place to be at that time of the year. We started out in Ft. Lauderdale and then moved over the to south Tampa Bay area and have found it much preferable although getting to the Bahamas does take somewhat more effort.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-03-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I'd like to know where in St. Augustine your getting dockage for $8.50 a foot per month. I called around a couple months ago and everyone was tlking 14 and up ! plus this and plus that + + +.
Old 10-03-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Best East Coast sailing areas are probably as previously stated St. Augustine, Fort Pierce and Biscayne Bay. However areas missed that are also great areas are from Titusville through Melbourne and around the Palm Beach Lake Worth area. The Indian River / ICW is very sailable in many areas and you can drop a hook in thousands of places for a night or week. Wide range of dock space but typically not very cheap for transit boats but still reasonable. Weather get better as you move South. Keys are great but generally more expensive and you need to watch where you are if in Florida Bay or near shore.

These places offer more than just distant views of the shore line as you sail.

I miss this area since I'm now on the West Coast. Best West Coast places are in the very southern end or at the top end in the panhandle. Around Tampa Bay you will find interesting places but North and South are generally rather dull until you reach one of the mentioned places.

It really depends on what type sailing your interested in and what near dock/ anchorage accommodations you find of interest.
Old 10-04-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Joethecobbler,call Tony at Intercoastal Marina [904-824-0138] if you are still looking for $8.50 a foot dockage. Others lower their dockage late spring through early fall and then raise it when the cruisers come through . I think Tony's rates stay the same.
Old 09-25-2010

Hoya97 is on a distinguished road
Hi
Although I'm a 'power' guy, I enjoy cruising as much as you sailboat types. Anyway, we have a slip at Dinner Key Marina, which is on the western side of Biscayne Bay, just south of greater Miami in Coconut Grove.
It really is a great location - Head due east and you're in Biscayne channel, on a direct line to the Bahamas; head south and you have an easy shot at both the Keys and West Coast of FL; north, you have a wonderful dinner/wine cruise of Miami and Ft Lauderdale.
They have plenty of slips available so it may be worth someone's while to give 'em a call.
Rickenbacker Marina is nice too - although a bit noisy with the causeway right there - We pick up fuel there and have gone to the Rusty Pelican for dinner. Killer view!

Best of Luck in whatever you decide. Keep us posted!
Old 12-27-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Sarasota Bay Tampa Bay and Charlotte harbor are all in a line...all are about two hours apart by car. Charlotte harbor to Tampa bay is my cruising grounds... Charlotte and Tampa bays are relatively large..and Sarasota bay is about half the size of those two...a bit smaller really... interesting areas to sail and explore... many slips are 10.00/foot over here..I have found several private docks for $ 8.50 recently, Fair winds....

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-27-2010 at 08:04 PM.