SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Florida sailing

12K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  burnhad 
#1 ·
We have an 08 Beneteau 40 and we are thinking of moving the boat to FL for the winter season. We are interested in the best sailing grounds in FL for November to April. I know the Ft. Lauderdale area offers cheap dockage $1 a foot but have not sailed in that area. We'd be interested in knowing what areas, east and westcoast are good for sailing and what the dock rates, are, we definitely want to be on a dock.

We also are interested if anyone knows a captain who would sail the boat down to the east coast of FL and what the cost would be, to the jupiter to FtLauderdale area.

#2 ·
Depends on what you are looking for.

Hubby and I are transitioning from lake sailors to coastal cruisers. We planned to spend a good part of the winter (might not happen - family issues) on the St. Johns. Protected river sailing with ICW access, bridges, ships traffic, etc. to expand our experience. Not to mention plenty of area to explore.

Jax has a large airport and mass transit, available rental cars if needed, and other city amenities.

And I have family there. For us it is a good destination.

#7 ·
Depends on what you are looking for.

Hubby and I are transitioning from lake sailors to coastal cruisers. We planned to spend a good part of the winter (might not happen - family issues) on the St. Johns. Protected river sailing with ICW access, bridges, ships traffic, etc. to expand our experience. Not to mention plenty of area to explore.

Jax has a large airport and mass transit, available rental cars if needed, and other city amenities.

And I have family there. For us it is a good destination.
I've been checking around and although it is cooler than we'd like it Looks like JAX maybe the best place for us. My husband is looking to open a FL office and already has an employee there. It's also less costly to have our boat captained there and back. I am curious about the sailing in that area. What are the NOV to APR winds like and is it sunny or overcast kind of weather. I lived in North Palm Beach and Jupiter for 7 years so I am familiar with that area but not so far north.

ALSO does anyone know how many miles to JAX it is from Montauk? I see captains are getting $250-$300 a day. we are trying to figure out the whole cost.

#3 ·
Jax

I just was looking at Marinas in Jacksonville when I saw your post to my question. I guess my only concern with the area is that it gets a little cool. Averages in the 60s. Your post got me thinking though that we could start off in Jacksonville and then take the boat down the coast to Palm Beach or Ft.Lauderdale over the winter by doing long weekend trips.

Have you spent time in Jacksonville? Can you sail in the Intracoastal, is it wide enough and deep enough? We have a 5'3" draft on our boat.

#4 ·
We have only motored in the ICW. Its very narrow in places and you have to watch your depth. But you can sail on the river down as far as Green Cove. I was born and raised in Jax., left town in '75 :). But we have always wanted to sail on the river. I don't know what your experience level is, but as lake sailors we have a lot of new skills to practice and they are all available here. Check out this forum

Living Aboard Forums

Several of the folks are in Jax. There is a marinas thread but I understand that prices are down since they were last posted. If you drive around, you always see folks anchored out. And the city has some low or no cost (except during "events") facilities available for limited use.

As for cold - it snowed when I was in the 2nd grade!

#5 · (Edited)
Sailing on the river isn't much fun unless it's what you know. I hardly take the boat for this reason, and the water is not attractive. I would give Biscayne Bay Miami some serious thought. Lots of anvhorages, and great sailing all year in fairly sheltered waters. Then Bimini is 7 hours away, and a whole new life.......i2f

#6 · (Edited)
I live in Fort Lauderdale. Our sailing is all ocean. You get a bit tired of just seeing the beach up and down the SE Coast of Florida...not many anchorages along the ICW either because its all built up. That being said, its a great place to launch an expedition to the Bahamas/Bimini. Plus there IS cheap(er) dockage especially at private docks up and down the canals. Bridges are a bit of a pain, but the New River is all on-demand...the current tends to rip through there and watch out for Jungle Queen...she takes those riverbends at full throttle. Ever seen a 2 story dinner cruise throw up rooster tails? I have :)

If you can get away with it, I'd keep the boat in Miami. Biscayane Bay has more traditional "cruising" grounds, but for your Beneteau 40 (assuming a standard keel of 6 ft) you're going to face draft issues as well as air draft issues as there are fixed 55' bridges to deal with.

That being said, Miami has a ton more in terms of anchorages, is just as convenient to the Bahamas as many people track as far south as possible before heading east for a Gulfstream crossing. Also, the Key's are a weekend trip...whereas in Fort Lauderdale its more of a long weekend/vacation type excursion.

Miami will be more pricey for dockage and you're more likely to deal with little annoyances like petty theft/bad attitudes, but...it has its perks. Hell of a skyline to watch a sunset over in front of Rusty Pelican with a drink in one's hands.

#9 · (Edited)
If you will be working in Jax, You will find sailing out of St. Augustine to be much more pleasant. Dockage ranges from $8.50 per foot on older fixed docks on up to $14.00 per foot on new floating docks on a monthly basis. I dock at Oyster Creek marina on a floating dock for $10.00 per foot during the off season and $13.00 during peak. It is very protected, has a great restaurant, is 2 minutes from groceries and West Marine, and less than an hour from the ocean if you catch a timely bridge opening.The drive from most anywhere in Jax. down to St. Aug. is inside of 1 hour. Most marinas in Jax will eat up at least half a day transiting to the ocean and back. As far as the trip south from Montauk, I have delivered numerous yachts over that stretch of water and usually take 7-10 days to do so . Mileage is roughly 365 to Norfolk, 205 Norfolk to Beaufort[in the ditch], 425 Beaufort to St. Augustine, and 300 St. Augustine to Miami. Feel free to contact me for local information or if you are looking for a captain, Scott 904-540-2291

#10 · (Edited)
Miami will be more pricey for dockage and you're more likely to deal with little annoyances like petty theft/bad attitudes, but...it has its perks. Hell of a skyline to watch a sunset over in front of Rusty Pelican with a drink in one's hands.

Since my boat sits next to the Rusty Pelican I cannot agree more. My million dollar view is priceless. What is so funny is those multi million dollar condos in downtown Miami buy their condo to look at me and my (low cost compare to them) slip is looking at them. Ironic.
In my area I have not experience any theft or bad attitudes. I love my dockmates and the staff at my marina. It is under guard 24/7 with security cameras. I can even plug into the those cameras at home to watch my baby and wish I was there.
In the Miami area you will pay about $18.0-$20.0 a foot a month ($700-800) for a slip. Like others have said the cruising area here is very diverse. Your 6' draft will keep you out of the ICW south of Elliot Island except for high tides. Key Biscayne Bay is a great area for dayand overnight sails. You don't have to contend with the big swells and waves compare to the ocean when the wind pips up. But the ocean is only 1/2 hour away which provides endless opportunities from South Beach to Key West and the Bahamas. I know that my marina, Rickenbacker Marina has a few opening as we speak. Call Jay at 305-361-1900. Tell him the crazy woman Melissa sent you.

#11 ·
i can vouch for rickenbacker marina - i stayed there for 5 years - there are great sailors there along with some general great people and one of the best hurricane holes in miami - and that does not even get to the view
the sailing is great year round as biscayne bay is right there and a couple of day sails and you are in key west or a nice day sail and you are bimini - we stop and spend a couple of weeks in rickenbacker each year as we reprovision before heading to the bahamas -
the only reason we left is we became full time cruisers -
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in cape may nj waiting on a weather window

#12 ·
As already mentionned St Augustine is a nice place. In Florida, mine favorite place is Fort Pierce. Small town, lovely, good restaurants, plenty of marinas from 1$ a foot down to .5$ a foot (5 years ago).

In Fort Pierce you might be in touch with Rudy Sanchez at 772 475-3233. Rudy performs repairs and maintenance and deliveries as well. He is a very nice man.

Best of luck.

#13 ·
We just bought a Seawind 1000 in Brunswick, Ga. Our plan was to sail her back to Kemah, Texas to outfit her for a 6-9 month cruise starting in January. However, my husband was called back to work so we are having her ferried back to Texas. We looked for captains and found them ranging from 250.00 a day to 400.00 a day plus expenses and transportation. We ended up paying the 400.00 a day but only because he was the only one that anyone we knew had knowledge of. The other captains may have been great but we felt they were an unknown. For us it was important to have references we trusted. We will be able to track her the entire way. She leaves October 7th. I'll let you know how it goes.

#15 ·
We are interested in the best sailing grounds in FL for November to April.
Frankly, the West Coast of Florida is probably the best place to be at that time of the year. We started out in Ft. Lauderdale and then moved over the to south Tampa Bay area and have found it much preferable although getting to the Bahamas does take somewhat more effort.

FWIW...

#17 ·
Best East Coast sailing areas are probably as previously stated St. Augustine, Fort Pierce and Biscayne Bay. However areas missed that are also great areas are from Titusville through Melbourne and around the Palm Beach Lake Worth area. The Indian River / ICW is very sailable in many areas and you can drop a hook in thousands of places for a night or week. Wide range of dock space but typically not very cheap for transit boats but still reasonable. Weather get better as you move South. Keys are great but generally more expensive and you need to watch where you are if in Florida Bay or near shore.

These places offer more than just distant views of the shore line as you sail.

I miss this area since I'm now on the West Coast. Best West Coast places are in the very southern end or at the top end in the panhandle. Around Tampa Bay you will find interesting places but North and South are generally rather dull until you reach one of the mentioned places.

It really depends on what type sailing your interested in and what near dock/ anchorage accommodations you find of interest.

#18 ·
Joethecobbler,call Tony at Intercoastal Marina [904-824-0138] if you are still looking for $8.50 a foot dockage. Others lower their dockage late spring through early fall and then raise it when the cruisers come through . I think Tony's rates stay the same.

#19 ·
Hi
Although I'm a 'power' guy, I enjoy cruising as much as you sailboat types. Anyway, we have a slip at Dinner Key Marina, which is on the western side of Biscayne Bay, just south of greater Miami in Coconut Grove.
It really is a great location - Head due east and you're in Biscayne channel, on a direct line to the Bahamas; head south and you have an easy shot at both the Keys and West Coast of FL; north, you have a wonderful dinner/wine cruise of Miami and Ft Lauderdale.
They have plenty of slips available so it may be worth someone's while to give 'em a call.
Rickenbacker Marina is nice too - although a bit noisy with the causeway right there - We pick up fuel there and have gone to the Rusty Pelican for dinner. Killer view!

Best of Luck in whatever you decide. Keep us posted!

#20 · (Edited)
Sarasota Bay Tampa Bay and Charlotte harbor are all in a line...all are about two hours apart by car. Charlotte harbor to Tampa bay is my cruising grounds... Charlotte and Tampa bays are relatively large..and Sarasota bay is about half the size of those two...a bit smaller really... interesting areas to sail and explore... many slips are 10.00/foot over here..I have found several private docks for $ 8.50 recently, Fair winds....

#21 ·
The cheapest docks are going to be found on craigslist. Someone who owns a waterfront home with a dock, but doesn't have a boat of their own, and wants to make a little money renting out their dock. The only problem is that few of these will allow you to liveaboard more than the rare overnighter.

#23 ·
Fort Lauderdale anchorage at $1,00/foot? It must be by the day. It will be hard to find an anchorage less than $8.00/ foot/month. Then you have to contend with bridges and lots of traffic. Miami, South of the Rickenbacker causeway is your best bet, but as NightOwl said, you may face draft issues with a keel longer than 5 feet. There is lot of traffic in Miami, but then, there is also a lot of space. Biscayne bay is great with many sights, anchorages and good protection. I suggest you give the Coconut Grove Sailing Club a call. They are inexpensive, right on Biscayne Bay,have a great restaurant, close to everything, but no liveaboards. Their # is 305-444-4571. By the way, all they have is a mooring field with 24/7 security

#24 ·
I've not seen any mentions of West-coast Florida in this thread. Placida is a nice place to visit; saw white pelicans there.

The ICW is unsuitable for any vessel with a draft over 4'. It is ill-maintained and rarely dredged nowadays. Plus ill-mannered power-boaters speed through it. A big displacement-hulled power-boater can push you right up on the mud. SeaTow membership needed...

There are a very few live-aboard marinas along the Caloosahatchie and in other nooks and crannies of West Florida, but they seem to try to stay hidden and unnoticed by the state.

Condo owner folks may resent you enjoying the environment without having to pay real-estate prices and taxes to do so. But they also like to look down at 'all the pretty boats", so they are often torn between envy and enjoyment.

#27 ·
Enigma,

There are several ICW openings to Tampa Bay, not sure which one you had trouble with. The Pass-A-Grille channel is the main one on the north side of the Tampa channel. It leads you into Boca Ciega Bay. Six foot draft is not an issue, but the channel is VERY narrow. Coming in during heavy weather can be a harrowing experience in a small sailboat. Ask me how I know... But usually it's very placid.

There is a secondary ICW inlet on the north side of Tampa channel that also takes you to Boca Ciega Bay the long way. Or you can transit the Tampa channel to get to St. Petersburg municipal marina and draft is no issue here.

Or were you talking about going south toward Bradenton and Sarasota?

#29 ·
Enigma, ... There is a secondary ICW inlet on the north side of Tampa channel that also takes you to Boca Ciega Bay the long way. Or you can transit the Tampa channel to get to St. Petersburg municipal marina and draft is no issue here.

Or were you talking about going south toward Bradenton and Sarasota?
Yeah, my question was unclear. South; ordinarily, one doesn't head North in Winter...

Channels that are often used by commerce are usually maintained. Something about paying big in taxes, and lobbyist clout...

Boca Ceiga was once a relaxed place to be. Plus, remember the old Isla del Sol?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.