Solomon Islands a must - Page 5 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 08-24-2013
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,328
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Certainly somewhere I'd to sail. Spent a bit of time on Guadalcanal in the late 70s early 80s. Friends of mine were involved in a resort outside of Honiara, near Tambea and later on went to Tivanipupu Island. I would dearly love to anchor in the lagoon off Tivanipupu.

In reading through the thread I notice Chall mentions spending cyclone season in the Solomons. Yes its true that they are outside the belt but its also true that during the season it is very hot, very humid and there is bugger all breeze to cool you off.

Andrew B
__________________
Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #42  
Old 08-24-2013
OziDude's Avatar
Future Catamaran Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
OziDude is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey Ozi! Good to see back round!

Glad to hear you made it over to Savo. It is quite a place.
Hi ya Smack,

Thanks. Savo was indeed a beautiful place. It was pretty much a time out for me away from the hussle and bussle of Honiara. I spent most of my time lazing in the hammocks, swimming and going for a few walks. I will be making sure I get to spend longer there next time when time is of really no importance.

Towards the end of next year I will be moving to Cairns and its not a very big jump from there to the Sollies

OziDude
Attached Thumbnails
Solomon Islands a must-p9040424.jpg  
__________________
If you can dream it you can live it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #43  
Old 08-24-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,950
Thanks: 80
Thanked 72 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 8
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by OziDude View Post
Hi ya Smack,

Thanks. Savo was indeed a beautiful place. It was pretty much a time out for me away from the hussle and bussle of Honiara. I spent most of my time lazing in the hammocks, swimming and going for a few walks. I will be making sure I get to spend longer there next time when time is of really no importance.

Towards the end of next year I will be moving to Cairns and its not a very big jump from there to the Sollies

OziDude
If you get back to Savo. Hire a guide to take you up to the dome of the volcano. One of the spookiest things I've ever experienced happened up there. We were standing on the lava dome - if you stamp your foot you can feel the hollow vibration like a drum. That was spooky, but not nearly as spooky as the "breath".

Our guide lit some palm fronds on fire and set them by a steam vent. After about 10 seconds, smoke started pouring from the vent. The guide said the volcano could "sense the flame" and would "breathe" with it. When the fire went out, the smoke stopped.

Lots of strange things in the Solis.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-24-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #44  
Old 08-24-2013
OziDude's Avatar
Future Catamaran Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
OziDude is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If you get back to Savo. Hire a guide to take you up to the dome of the volcano. One of the spookiest things I've ever experienced happened up there. We were standing on the lava dome - if you stamp your foot you can feel the hollow vibration like a drum. That was spooky, but not nearly as spooky as the "breath".

Our guide lit some palm fronds on fire and set them by a steam vent. After about 10 seconds, smoke started pouring from the vent. The guide said the volcano could "sense the flame" and would "breathe" with it. When the fire went out, the smoke stopped.

Lots of strange things in the Solis.
That sounds great. It will be a definite must do when I'm there. There are indeed a lot of strange things in the Sollies. The amount of UFO sitings and tales of the 7' Giants living in the jungle. The list goes on...a truly amazing place. No wonder it calls me back there

Ozi
__________________
If you can dream it you can live it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #45  
Old 08-25-2013
Rib sawyer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
SawyerJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by OziDude View Post
That sounds great. It will be a definite must do when I'm there. There are indeed a lot of strange things in the Sollies. The amount of UFO sitings and tales of the 7' Giants living in the jungle. The list goes on...a truly amazing place. No wonder it calls me back there
Ozi
And some people claim that some of the UFO's are pteradactyls. . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #46  
Old 08-25-2013
chall03's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,509
Thanks: 14
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 12
chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
In reading through the thread I notice Chall mentions spending cyclone season in the Solomons. Yes its true that they are outside the belt but its also true that during the season it is very hot, very humid and there is bugger all breeze to cool you off.
That was 4 years ago Andrew, I was young, silly and impressionable back then

Sitting in the Marina at Port Bundaberg in November was bad enough. In the Solomons at that time of year I would now want to be on a 50ft Hunter with aircon and icemaker.
__________________
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #47  
Old 08-25-2013
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,328
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
That was 4 years ago Andrew, I was young, silly and impressionable back then

Sitting in the Marina at Port Bundaberg in November was bad enough. In the Solomons at that time of year I would now want to be on a 50ft Hunter with aircon and icemaker.
Yea verily brother ! One of my favourite cruising books is Hal Roth's "Two on a Big Ocean", which tells of the Roths's circling of the Pacific. Me I'd love to do a cruise up to Japan from Oz, something of the road less travelled in that idea but sitting it out below 10 degrees during the cyclone/typhoon season(s) is not something I'd look forward to.

Andrew B
__________________
Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #48  
Old 04-12-2014
OziDude's Avatar
Future Catamaran Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
OziDude is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomon Islands a must

My yearly check in No longer having the opportunity to travel back over to the Sollies for work, my retirement at the end of the year will set me free. This time next year I hope to be living aboard and commencing preparations to sail back over. My time in the Solomons is still fresh in my mind. It has left ever lasting foot prints. I hope you have all been well. To those of you that were heading to the Solomons I hope you have finally made it
smackdaddy likes this.
__________________
If you can dream it you can live it

Last edited by OziDude; 04-12-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #49  
Old 04-12-2014
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,950
Thanks: 80
Thanked 72 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 8
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Hey O'Dude! Hao nao?

Good to see you back around. Keep us up-to-date as your sailing adventure starts. Love to see some pics!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailing- Diving Solomon Islands seagoon Crew Wanted/Available 5 06-09-2010 04:15 AM
Sail-Dive PNG and Solomon Islands seagoon Crew Wanted/Available 5 11-09-2009 04:20 PM
Sail-Dive PNG and Solomon Islands seagoon Crew Wanted/Available 0 12-15-2005 06:55 PM
SAIL - DIVE SOLOMON ISLANDS seagoon Crew Wanted/Available 4 03-16-2004 05:04 PM
First Leg of an Atlantic Crossing Michael Carr Seamanship Articles 0 01-31-1998 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012