Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

OziDude is on a distinguished road
Solomon Islands a must

Having worked in the Solomon Islands earlier this year and going again in January 2010 the waters and islands are worth seeing.

The Solomon Islands consist of 992 islands but about 130 are inhabited. If you dont spend to much time in Honiara you can explore and get to experience the real Solomon Islands.

Fantastic sunsets...sunrises...and World War 2 history.

OziDude
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Where abouts in the Solomons were you? I was on Guadalcanal for a couple of years - in Honiara.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-22-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Where abouts in the Solomons were you? I was on Guadalcanal for a couple of years - in Honiara.
Mainly in Honiara but also went to a few places on the Weather Coast whilst I was there.
Old 12-22-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
The Solomons are definitely on our list. The diving is supposed to be amazing there, and the place is still fairly remote and untouched as far as tropical cruising grounds go....

Any info you guys can add here would be very much appreciated...Noonsite paints a confusing picture on the situation for cruisers in the Solomons in regards to safety particularly, it is either the safest place on earth or the ten times worse than Baghdad depending on interpretation!

Alan Lucas, an aussie cruising legend did a cruising guide for the Solomons some years back. I wonder whether it would be of any great use now....

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 12-22-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

I cant speak from a Sailing/Cruising perspective as I have not sailed in the Solomons. I have snorkelled a few of the wrecks (Bonegi 1 and 2) as they were easily reached from the beach.

I dont have my dive ticket but hope to get it on my next trip (January 2010). I spent 4 months staying in the Solomons (Honiara) this year and have heard of no incidents against cruisers during that time.This trip I will be there for longer than 4 months so hope to get some sailing experience around the islands.

If you are in Honiara keep your wits about you as like any other city/town there is crime. It appears to be opportunistic and not targeted.

The Villages west or east of Honiara are friendly and very traditional. The outer islands are also full of natural beauty and sea life is abundant.

Ozi

Last edited by OziDude; 12-22-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-22-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chall - the diving is, without question, incredible. If you go, get up to Gizo. Go to this website:

Dive Gizo - Exotic diving in and around the Solomon Islands

Danny is a very cool guy and runs a good outfit. Tell him the Smackster sent you and he'll punch you in the nose.

The Toa Maru is really incredible. One of the best wreck dives I've ever done.

As for safety, the political situation has really deteriorated over the last 10-15 years. But much of that seems to be centered around Guadalcanal and Malaita. Ozi - will have a more current picture on that than I.

We had a few cruisers going through when I was there - and never heard any serious complaints, apart from minor theft, etc. if you left stuff hanging around.

Even so, the Western province was always the more peaceful and easy going area. And that's where the great diving is anyway.

Ozi - I lived on Gnossi Ridge when I was there. Killer view of Iron Bottom Sound and Savo (where I lived for a couple of months for training). You should visit Savo if you get a chance. Incredible place. Just a huge volcano - but great people.

Old 12-22-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Thanks a million guys. Like I said it is hopefully very much a part of our cruising plans. One reason being that the northern part of the Solomons also place you outside of the cyclone belt....

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 12-22-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
The Solomons are on our list, and then onto Palau.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 12-22-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Thanks a million guys. Like I said it is hopefully very much a part of our cruising plans. One reason being that the northern part of the Solomons also place you outside of the cyclone belt....
Chall, the only other thing I'd say is check into the political climate of Bouganville (PNG). It has always been a little crazy due to the FM gold mine there - and that sometimes bled down into Choiseul. Nothing major that I know of, but something to be aware of.

Old 12-23-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

A few of my friends have spent time at Savo. I have heard so much about it and seen a lot of the pictures that they have taken. It will be a must see for me during my time there.

Smackdaddy - I think I remember where Gnossi Ridge is (so many ridges) between Panatina Ridge and above White River. I use to love getting in the 4WD and getting myself lost only to find my way out again. I use go up past Borderline, past the Japanese War Memorial until I had a great view out over Henderson Airfield to Iron Bottom Sound.

I have a bit of an interest in World War 2 history in particular the falling of Singapore and battles in the Pacific. I had no shortage of things to do when I wasnt working.

As for the current political situation, it does change from time to time. It mainly affects Honiara but if you avoid large gatherings that can pop up from time to time you are less likely to be involved in anything. I cant see that many people would be staying in Honiara because the Solomons have so much more to offer.

There is so much to see and do and as Smackdaddy has said the Western Province is a pretty good place to start.

The weather is great, the water warm, and if you get to the outer islands, crystal clear.

OziDude