Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012

autoteachersonny is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Stay out of Georgia

This is no longer true! We are legal Georgia live a boards and you can transit with out hassle.... If you dump overboard you can be fined. Which is true anywhere. If you obey the laws and behave you are very welcome. I know many cruisers that have been in Georgia and on the ICW for a year or more with out any problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay out of Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteachersonny View Post
This is no longer true! We are legal Georgia live a boards and you can transit with out hassle.... If you dump overboard you can be fined. Which is true anywhere. If you obey the laws and behave you are very welcome. I know many cruisers that have been in Georgia and on the ICW for a year or more with out any problem.
Sonny,

I take it from your note that GA has changed the statutes? If so, please tell everyone where to look for actual, official hard-copy data.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. I know that GA has been very lax on actual enforcement of the (previous?) statutes, basically using the provisions as a lever to dislodge eye-sore and/or nuisance vessels. That said, just because they don't enforce doesn't mean that it's legally permissible...
Old 12-16-2012

autoteachersonny is on a distinguished road

Here is the link for live a board application, Of course transients may stay as long as they can prove, They are navigable with the vessel, have a holding tank and no overboard discharge. Fix the url

.coastalgadnr. org/msp/ap/Liveab]Live-Aboard Extensions | Coastal Resources Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources[/url]

HTH,
S
Old 01-01-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

When operating a marina in Marco Is. Fla some years back, I purchased a 72' shrimp boat at a customs auction and moved it to the marina. To the residents of Marco Is. it was an "eye sore" (as were pick up trucks and vans, which you could not park in your driveway or on the street overnight), and a state official (I don't remember the division) was sent to have it removed. When he found I was dockmaster, he immediately left saying he had no further interest in the situation.
Pressure was put on the marina and I was grudgingly asked to remove the boat by the owners. After some research, I found that no state has jurisdiction over the waters of the ICW and I found a spot in the ICW that would not interfere with vessel traffic, but was in plain view from the MI bridge (I was younger and didn't mind a bit of a fight). Though huge pressure was put on the FMP, DNR and the sheriff, none ever bothered me again, being in federal waters.
I'm not saying to cause a ruckus or flaunt the laws, but should there be a need, this is one way to circumvent unreasonable local or state laws. A similar tactic worked for me in Essex, Ct. when I ran afoul of their idiotic (and illegal, according to the ACLU) anchoring laws.
Old 01-02-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Apparently this has been overcome by events

Georgia Liveaboard Laws Change Effective January 2012!

Of course that's a) you have to ask for an extension and b) only if you are at a marina

So really, it's still the same. Keep on transiting, don't stop - or get hit with property taxes if you unwittingly become a resident in those states that have property taxes on boats.
Old 01-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Even more interesting, Georgia defines all vessels as "liveaboard" if there is someone "in abode" or 'habitating" onboard. I guess that would make the USS Iowa and a batch of other big gray boats "liveaboard" vessels too. Glad they got that all cleared up.

Good thing the Mayan Calendar expired last month, because the law only applies by calendar year, and if the calendar stopped...that's right, they forgot to define "calendar year" in the definitions! Can't start a new year without cutting out someone's heart on this here altar, just need one volunteer and some chicken feathers.
Old 01-05-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

A good URL:

Public Notice | Coastal Resources Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources

Florida is hostile, not only to live-aboards but to marina owners/operators. Probably down to greed. Those waterfront locations don't pay nearly as much in taxes as condo and housing developments with canals.

I almost forgot: Stay away from the Manatee County ICW. There are those there who lurk looking for opportunities to 'legally' loot passing boaters.

Last edited by Enigma0; 01-05-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma0 View Post
---

I almost forgot: Stay away from the Manatee County ICW. There are those there who lurk looking for opportunities to 'legally' loot passing boaters.
OK I'll bite - what do you mean by that?
Old 01-07-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

A visiting boater who suddenly needs to be gotten off the mud, perhaps rudely flung there by a displacement hull speeding by, who hasn't already a SeaTow membership, may get yet another very nasty surprise.

There's been quite a few rather naive elderly folk who launch upon a retirement dream only to find a gauntlet of grasping and greedy hands attached to sneering attitudes must be run. I must not be more specific, so you may travel that stretch of the ICW in search of as much adventure as you like.
Old 01-07-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma0 View Post
A visiting boater who suddenly needs to be gotten off the mud, perhaps rudely flung there by a displacement hull speeding by, who hasn't already a SeaTow membership, may get yet another very nasty surprise.

There's been quite a few rather naive elderly folk who launch upon a retirement dream only to find a gauntlet of grasping and greedy hands attached to sneering attitudes must be run. I must not be more specific, so you may travel that stretch of the ICW in search of as much adventure as you like.
Meh --

Sounds like you had a bad afternoon, and want to place the blame entirely on others...

If you've spent any amount of time in close quarters around powerboats (like maybe a day), you know to anticipate the worst and plan accordingly.

You seem to feel the the SeaTow franchisee in Manatee County charged you excessively. I can tell you that it probably wouldn't have been any cheaper in another location, and that BoatUS probably would have been just as much.

"Must not be more specific?" -- is there a court order against you, or are you worried about someone filing one? Really?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39