Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay out of Georgia

My, you're both nasty and presumptuous. Such a tale of woe isn't necessarily about me, nor when boaters sit down to share stories do they always get into specifics.

When anchored out in a side cove along the ICW, folk might just go to sleep after a long day. A power-boater may speed along in near darkness, perhaps trying to make it to some dock for an 'emergency libation', say at the restaurant near that lift-bridge.

I've no problem with SeaTow whatever; in the three incidents I've witnessed with their personnel they were uniformly polite, helpful, and extricated folk from their predicament. In any case, I've been a member since its inception. BoatUS I don't know anything solid about, but I've never read anything in any fori alleging bad conduct there either.

But speaking of bad conduct: When I reread your response, it just gets nastier. What are you, some sort of forum troll?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma0 View Post
My, you're both nasty and presumptuous....

But speaking of bad conduct: When I reread your response, it just gets nastier. What are you, some sort of forum troll?
Now there's the pot calling the kettle black.

You are the one casting allusions of nastiness and bad intent and hiding with no specifics etc.. your persona of enigma would be comical if wasn't just silly.
sailortjk1 likes this.
Old 01-08-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

First you tell me to stay away from Georgia, than somebody comes along and tells me to avoid Florida as well. I don't get it.
Hell I was planning a trip on the ICW through both states just for the Free Docking!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-08-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Um, no. Getting fed up with anonymous, generalized attacks on entire areas and people while purposefully providing no specifics? Yeah, I guess I am.

If I understand your response correctly, you are making your recommendation to avoid Manatee County based on a second-hand story of woe that was related over sundowners. By the same measure, vacationers should avoid North Florida highways because of the notorious speed trap along Hwy 301 in the tiny town of Waldo.

Forgive me if my hand immediately went for the BS flag.

I find it objectionable that you have basically labeled the waterways of Manatee County as a kill zone for passing boaters. That has simply not been my experience. Are there a$$hole boaters in Manatee County? Of course there are, but Manatee County's a long, long way from having cornered that market. You can find them everywhere, and all too often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 01-08-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Enigma0 -

If you are going to post a negative comment about a particular area it does nobody any good if you can't get into specifics.
Nebulous language about people that "might just" do something, or boats that "may speed along", or somebody "perhaps trying" something are not informative or helpful in any way.
I don't know what you intended with your original post but to me at least you come across as repeating some booze fueled barroom gossip without anything factual to say.
It just further exacerbates the situation when you respond to a criticism by attacking the poster rather than better defining your own posts.
My 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

What nasty trolls infest this place. Must reflect the operators of this venue? That's one very good reason why nobody with any sense would supply personal details whatever. Trolls are always looking for grist for their ad hominem mills.

A 75-year-old couple who have had bad treatment in Manatee County are not usually floating-eyed drunk while they relate their trip down the ICW at a restaurant during the appetizers.

But trolls would immediately assume they were... Because that's exactly how trolls behave, drunk and always ugly.

I'm sure there's still good folk in Manatee County, if those like these last three posters haven't driven them from their homes and boats. Nor do passing power-boaters always live in the places through which they roar, but they may frequent those environs. Rarely is a place and a folk entirely all one thing or another. Most just have their heads down, actually or metaphorically, hoping to not be more oppressed.

There are even some upstanding power-boaters, but you won't notice them because they behave with courtesy.

Pot's always smaller than that big dirty black kettle with the giant encrustations in the bottom... Take those two cents and buy some of that mandatory mental health care.

Meanwhile, back to the real question implied by the topic. Be careful out there; just as in this forum, there are predators waiting to pounce.

tjk1: Free docking - funny one.

Last edited by Enigma0; 01-09-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I remember I got banned back in 2008 for calling someone a troll.

Funny this smuck calls everyone trolls yet he/she is still posting
Old 01-09-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What nasty trolls infest this place. Must reflect the operators of this venue? That's one very good reason why nobody with any sense would supply personal details whatever. Trolls are always looking for grist for their ad hominem mills.

A 75-year-old couple who have had bad treatment in Manatee County are not usually floating-eyed drunk while they relate their trip down the ICW at a restaurant during the appetizers.

But trolls would immediately assume they were... Because that's exactly how trolls behave, drunk and always ugly.

I'm sure there's still good folk in Manatee County, if those like these last three posters haven't driven them from their homes and boats. Nor do passing power-boaters always live in the places through which they roar, but they may frequent those environs. Rarely is a place and a folk entirely all one thing or another. Most just have their heads down, actually or metaphorically, hoping to not be more oppressed.

There are even some upstanding power-boaters, but you won't notice them because they behave with courtesy.

Pot's always smaller than that big dirty black kettle with the giant encrustations in the bottom... Take those two cents and buy some of that mandatory mental health care.

Meanwhile, back to the real question implied by the topic. Be careful out there; just as in this forum, there are predators waiting to pounce.

tjk1: Free docking - funny one.
Well your OP was very vague, and you said you could not be more specific so I think legal action is a common assumption. I don't think anyone was trolling, just trying to get more details about why you were condemning the entire county. I will say your posts are kind of stream of conscious, so they are very hard for anyone but yourself to understand. As above, I read it three times and still don't understand half of it. And I was a philosophy major, so I am experienced in pulling out obscure details. This may explain some of the reaction.

Now I have heard stories of Tow BoatUS claiming salvage when pulling off of sandbars even for those who had coverage, not sure if you are talking about one of these cases? It does seem there may have been a rouge franchisee, but not enough to damn an entire county for bad practices.
Old 01-09-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I remember I got banned back in 2008 for calling someone a troll.

Funny this smuck calls everyone trolls yet he/she is still posting
Likely because your posts were clear and concise and it could be clearly determined that you were calling someone a troll and not talking about some guy under an actual physical bridge someplace in story land.

Oh and I am sure you deserved it ;-)

In his defense I believe he was called a troll first, likely what set him off.

Last edited by miatapaul; 01-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"It does seem there may have been a rouge franchisee, "

Darling, I have the rouge franchise for the Bunny Ranch, and let me tell you we do salvage work every day, but that's what the girls come in for. Rouge & Repairs, no more, no less.

(VBG)
miatapaul likes this.