Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011

SameBoat is on a distinguished road
Stay out of Georgia

I feel the need to clarify. DNR came by while we were ashore and left a written noticed tied to the lifeline. This is 40' Beneteau which in no way looks like a derelict boat. They later came by and explained the law to us. The officers were very polite at all times and did not board the boat. As for being "kicked out" of Georgia, in reality we could have remained if we wished to pay a fine, I suppose. The problem was that our insurance required us to be out of Florida by June 1, and a crew member was waiting for a crown to come in to Jacksonville. So it was between a rock and a hard spot. We anchored in the north (Georgia) side of the St Marys river and drove back and forth. And we dropped a pretty big coin in St Marys, so they should reconsider what this law is doing to their tourism business. There are much better ways to get rid of derelict boats, which give the rest of us a bad reputation.
Be careful out there!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"a crew member was waiting for a crown"
You had Elizabeth onboard? See that's the problem, the Georgians are anti-monarchist. :-)
Old 05-29-2011

SAMUELBURNS is on a distinguished road
Speed traps in So. Georgia

..........back in the day, snowbirds would be "caught speeding" in their autos by the Georgia Patrol, fined and told that they could motel thru the week-end and contest the fine on Monday morning in court, but few waited, most paid up and planned their next trip south thru the "Peach State" more carefully............[ I hail from Louisville, GA]
Old 06-28-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
Like any organization, they're full of induhviduals who're all different from each other. I had relatives from NY state stop for gas at a full service station (seriously) on the way to my house with their NY license plates and waited while the station attendant was speaking with a local sheriff. After 5 minutes they gave a quick honk on the horn to say "we're here" and he didn't look up, just waved as if to say "be right there" and then he didn't move. They eventually left the service station, stopped at another down the road a ways and had great service and smiles.

It all depends on who you're dealing with, pretty much anywhere.

Customs officials for example...
Old 07-09-2011

ready to go is on a distinguished road
st.marys is a military town and a very special one at that,... at least we know they are on the ball...might keep some undesirables out or make them think twice.DVC
Old 07-10-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
Looking at the law as provided by macattackga, I'm willing to bet that the section about liveaboards was tacked on by someone with an axe to grind. The state or county may be able to place standards on boats that are being used as dwellings (just like a house, apartment or trailer home) but this seems shaky to me. It is too bad there is no LPA (Liveaboard Protection Association) to defend our liveaboard rights.
Old 07-07-2012

windnrock is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay out of Georgia

If you choose to debate this with an officer of any state, that is your decision. Personally I would.
As US citizens we are governed by The Constitution of the United States of America. It is our supreme law and states in the 14th Amendment, Article 4,Clause 1, Section 2 ;

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Clause One of Section 2 requires interstate protection of "privileges and immunities". The seeming ambiguity of the clause has given rise to a number of different interpretations. Some contend that the clause requires Congress to treat all citizens equally. Others suggest that citizens of states carry the rights accorded by their home states while traveling in other states.
The Supreme Court has held that the clause means a state may not discriminate against citizens of other states in favor of its own citizens. The federal circuit court held that privileges and immunities in respect of which discrimination is barred include protection by the Government;
• the enjoyment of life and liberty
• the right of a citizen of one State to pass through, or to reside in any other State, for purposes of trade, agriculture, professional pursuits, or otherwise
• to claim the benefits of the writ of habeas corpus
• to institute and maintain actions of any kind in the courts of the State
• to take, hold and dispose of property, either real or personal; and an exemption from higher taxes or impositions than are paid by the other citizens of the State.
Old 07-07-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
anchored in the estuarine waters of the state
An estuary is a partly enclosed coastal body of water with one or more rivers or streams flowing into it, and with a free connection to the open sea.[1]

Law appears to be about marshland.
A documented vessel in transit.......

Even if I got a fine i wouldn't pay it. They have no basis

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 07-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Not marshland, estuaries. NY harbor is a (flooded) estuary.
Old 07-07-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

and an anchorage.