Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012

SameBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay out of Georgia

Thanks for your many responses. The law we are discussing is a state law. At the time I was there, it was illegal for people to live aboard their boats even in a marina. I believe they have since changed that. Marinas have money and influence.
As I said, the police were very respectful, but as a retired cop, I can tell you their response to any argument: tell it to the judge. I don't remember if this particular law allows confiscation of your boat if you don't pay a fine; I know some states do. We need a national organization to fight for people to be able to abide anywhere in the U.S. If I had rented an apartment there for a few weeks, no problem. Anchor my boat? Problem. And the sales tax issue mentioned is a huge money-grubbing farce. All of this should be tested in federal courts, but I quite surely do not have the resources or connections to do so!
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameBoat View Post
We need a national organization to fight for people to be able to abide anywhere in the U.S.
You do. Seven Seas Cruising Association ( http://ssca.org ) worked hard to get that law changed. Boat/US has a Government Affairs arm as well, but they only work on really high profile issues. Georgia didn't meet their standard.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

I had hoped that sooner or later I would come across a discussion like this. Every day there are laws and ordinances created by our elected officials and others. Some use excuses like taxes, others blame it on the drug war, now is the terrorists. It seems that our elected officials have forgotten the Constitution of this country and the Bill of Rights. The only reason our elected officials are able to do this is because we allow them to. These rules are causing people to lose their jobs not be able to find work not enjoy the freedoms that are promised to us in the bill of rights. I have been told by the state of Florida that the land under the water is owned by them???this whole thing is getting to be too much to bear, and as long as people do nothing about it is going to get worse. I am not suggesting violent acts as we already fought a war in the 1800s over the same subject. As some people say if you don't like it then leave, we didn't do that back then what we did was chase them back to England. I own land in Nicaragua and I have never had any such problems as this there, but I will not allow elected officials to chase me out of my home country. When I first started my career on the water it was nothing like this. I suggest that everyone find a legal way to get rid of these people and send them back to their country where ever that is. If they want to live under repression there's no reason we should allow them to make us live by ridiculous rules that have no legal foundation. I really wish more people would read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and then do something about it legally if that is possible. CaptG ps: what a great time for this discussion just around the corner from Independence Day!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2012

windnrock is on a distinguished road

If we do not use our rights, we will lose them. Having to go to court to prove you have certain rights as a citizen is not what I want but if we continually cave, it gets harder. The police, local and state officials, Parks and Rec, USCG and all the other agencies need to understand what those rights are and abide by them. It may not be as "easy" for them, but that is not the point. I will stand for my rights and everyone else's, don't let anyone talk you out of yours! It's much like the "private" moorings in public waterways, if they are allowed to persist, they get bolder.
Old 07-07-2012

windnrock is on a distinguished road

A state law or state constitutional article can not violate The Constitution of the United States and just because a public employee tells me, "its the law" does not necessarily make it so. Often police (and of course others)are as ignorant of actual statutes as anyone. I found on one occasion the "law" was actually just a department policy. It was in fact in violation of state law! Ask politely, ask questions, get names, but ask. It is really so very important to know your rights, no one will just tell you what they are, you need to ask.
Old 07-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" I really wish more people would read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights,"
It wouldn't help, Gary. Around 1970 a group at Harvard went around reading those papers to folks they met on the streets, and asking them what the papers were from.
A number thought it was the Communist Manifesto. Not a lot recognized it, at all.
Old 07-07-2012
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-07-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I give the US a complete miss when heading south, and have no intention of ever setting foot there again. European tourism to the US has dropped 40% in the last few years, for exactly this reason.They are coming to Canada in increasing numbers, telling us this is the main reason.
The US has the highest percentage of it's population of any country in history, in prison.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2012

the OATH that peace officers take is the same as our military unless you are a officer in that OATH is a little different. But they are sworn to defend the Constitution of this country as well as their state constitutions. If I remember correctly it' states (all) enemys foreign or domestic. (it is a shame that so many soldiers have died to defend the Constitution) just to have it shredded by local officials...........CaptG
Old 07-07-2012

I hope this comes out I'm sending you a link that may help some people to realize what is going on here.