Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay out of Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameBoat View Post
...At the time I was there, it was illegal for people to live aboard their boats even in a marina. I believe they have since changed that. Marinas have money and influence....
Well, they did change the law, but you have to write them in advance if you want to spend more than 30 days in Georgia as a live aboard. Does this mean that the good State of Georgia has installed "toll booths" on all waterways entering the State of Georgia? Just wondering how they start their 'clock'..

I'd suggest that every cruiser who reads this immediately write the State of Georgia requesting their free "cruising permit" Maybe if they receive a few thousand of these requests they'll fix this law permanently.

Ultimately, it's not just the waste discharge they are concerned about. They are also concerned about the 'boat people' with little money to contribute to local economies taxing the State's resources. I can sympathize but we all know police can't imprison an entire community with the intent of preventing 1/2% of them from committing a crime.
inshallamiami likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Great idea about writing them for a permit. My guess is they will send you a form letter to fill out requiring money before processing which might stem the tide of letters but it might take awhile for them to make a counter move.
Old 07-08-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

I truly hope that no one finds this video objectionable in any way, it was not posted for that reason. I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that if you are in Port or offshore please remember not to argue with law enforcement. Always agree with them and be courteous and comply with them even if you know you are right. This video depicts extreme violence please consider that before watching it.........CaptG
Old 07-08-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

All I can say is ....WoW!
Pa is a mean state.
Old 07-08-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

i have had and seen some mean things happen to me in Fl. and have seen it happen to others, in many states. since 911 law enforcement has taken it to the next step......CaptG
Old 07-08-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Passed through Ga four times now, never had any problems. Love Savannah, St Mary's and Cumberland. St Simons is also nice. Did notice the "30 day law" signs in marinas. My understanding is, as stated above, if you call yourself a cruiser/yacht in transit they usually dont hassle.
Old 07-09-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Sad, when you think of how many were sent to war to fight against this kind of thing happening elsewhere, and how many died in the effort, while the govenments who sent them, are allowing this to creep into their own countries. Lots of similar stories happening here in Canada. Our current prime minister, the last vestige of the Bush regime, is determined to follow the Bush example. Our mounties have gone from national symbol to international embarassement, for the same reasons, in a very short time

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-10-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Sad, when you think of how many were sent to war to fight against this kind of thing happening elsewhere, and how many died in the effort, while the govenments who sent them, are allowing this to creep into their own countries. Lots of similar stories happening here in Canada. Our current prime minister, the last vestige oif the Bush regime , is determined to follow the Bush example. Our mounties have gone from national symbol to international embarassement, for the same reasons, in a very short time
Brent, please don't lower yourself by blaming our Conservative government for the RCMP situation.

Remember Zacardali? What a piece of work he was as commissioner. A Liberal appointment. It looks like this new commissioner will finally get things right... it took a long time for the force to be torn down, it won't get turned around in an hurry.

I would suggest that Harper has done a pretty good job managing Canada through all the pitfalls in the last 6-7 years. Bush didn't, and your new BFF, Obama didn't.either. Neither are shining lights.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 07-10-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Harper has been having guys trained in the US, to learn how to act like the police goons down there, something he greatly admires.. He is doing everything possible to bring their ways of goonsmanship to Canada.

The new commissioner has been saying he wants the power to fire bad mounties, while several have been fired for misbehavior in the past. So he was obviously lying. He was in a position to do something about the Picton murder victims, but did nothing, because of the colour of their skin. He has an abysmal track record.

Harper wants to build more prisons ,in an effort to emulate failed policies that even Republicans in the US have been warning him, have been a complete failure in the US. He canceled the court challenges program, eliminating the possibility of anyone but the rich making charter challenges.
He is pushing the Northern Gateway pipeline, and twinning of the Southern pipeline, against the wishes of 75% of the people on the west coast, and almost all coastal first nations people, which will inevitably oil coat one of the most pristine cruising grounds on the planet, all in an effort to get rid of our most valuable resource, quickly , before the price goes up.
He is refusing to allow a Canadian child soldier , and torture victim, imprisoned since the age of 15 , back into Canada, in violation of all international law, and Canadian law. He is enforcing US law on Canadian soil. He is enforcing Chinese law , passed by the Communist party politbureau ,in Bejing, on Canadian soil. He has kept people imprisoned, without trial or evidence. Harper has overseen gross human rights abuses, and violations of constitutional rights.
Harper is an obedient tool of the new " Corporate Feudalism."

Harper is behind the NDP in all recent opinion polls, and is going nowhere but down, all for good reason. He runs the country like a dictator, silencing scientists who don't support blind allegiance to corporate feudalism, with threats and firings.
He is the worst, most treasonist prime minister Canada has ever had .Too bad we are stuck with him, for a while yet.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

It is clear you don't like Harper or any Conservative. I couldn't stand Chretien or any Liberal. BUT, I do give credit where credit is due, and Chretien did a lot fiscally that Harper is benefiting from. Actually, if truth be known, Chretien executed on Mulroney's foundation, NAFTA and the GST. But he did execute on it, so I do give credit for that.

I hated his social policies, especially the gun registry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Harper has been having guys trained in the US, to learn how to act like the police goons down there, something he greatly admires.. He is doing everything possible to bring their ways of goonsmanship to Canada.
Well, that is your opinion. I have no problem with our security forces learning from others. Although there are issues I have with individual police forces in the States, let's not call all of them goons, because they are not.

Quote:
The new commissioner has been saying he wants the power to fire bad mounties, while several have been fired for misbehavior in the past. So he was obviously lying. He was in a position to do something about the Picton murder victims, but did nothing, because of the colour of their skin. He has an abysmal track record.
Actually, the RCMP Act currently severely restricts the commissioner, and he is lobbying for changes. I see that as a positive.

Quote:
Harper wants to build more prisons ,in an effort to emulate failed policies that even Republicans in the US have been warning him, have been a complete failure in the US.
It's about time we stopped the catch and release program we have had in Canada. That will require prison space. Our hug a thug feel good program clearly has not worked, and I don't want those miscreants out in our general population.

Quote:
He canceled the court challenges program, eliminating the possibility of anyone but the rich making charter challenges.
I truly stand up and applaud that move. Any small time 'activist' group with a fly up their butt could and did avail themselves of the court challenges program. It was misused and abused by those 'social activist' and borderline environmental groups. What a waste of taxpayers money! If a situation is important to a group, it can find the money.

How do I know? Because I was involved in such a court case that ended up in the Supreme Court... the gun registration bill. We lost, but we also raised the funds from firearm owners because it was a cause they could get behind. It was important to them.

So, waaa, waaaa, waaa for those groups crying about the cancellation. If it is important, people will support you. If not, sucks to be you.

Quote:
He is pushing the Northern Gateway pipeline, and twinning of the Southern pipeline, against the wishes of 75% of the people on the west coast, and almost all coastal first nations people, which will inevitably oil coat one of the most pristine cruising grounds on the planet, all in an effort to get rid of our most valuable resource, quickly , before the price goes up.
I am still mixed on the Northern Gateway. I believe Enbridge has clearly done a good job on mitigation of any potential problems with shipping in the Douglas channel.

I have concerns about stream crossings, and they have not convinced me on that yet.

Your projection of the 'inevitable oil coat etc' is not valid in my opinion, based on what I know the mitigation efforts are. Don't forget, there are currently ships transporting volatile fluids that go there, and have for decades. As far as I am aware, there has never been a problem, and for most of the time those were single hull vessels. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
He is refusing to allow a Canadian child soldier , and torture victim, imprisoned since the age of 15 , back into Canada, in violation of all international law, and Canadian law.
Oh, you mean Omar Khadr, whose terrorist family includes a father who was Bin Laden's bag man, and a mother and sister who praised Omar's terrorist activities on TV? May Omar rot in Gitmo until he is an old man. I knew right from wrong at 15, so don't give me the BS Omar the Terrorist didn't.

That poor baby! Sorry, but I can not understand how anyone can find sympathy for that creep. You seem to forget that many Canadian boys lied about their age to join the army in WWI and WWII. Lots joined at 15. And served their country.

Now Omar the Terrorist is an innocent child? Please, give it a break!

Quote:
He is enforcing US law on Canadian soil.
And the US is enforcing Canadian law on US soil by the same agreement. Come on Brent, it is an issue of that arises only in the name of 'hot pursuit'.

That same agreement resulted in the capture of the murderer of the three armored car employees here in Edmonton that occurred last month. No extradition required. I kind of like that effect.

Quote:
He is enforcing Chinese law , passed by the Communist party politbureau ,in Bejing, on Canadian soil.
Sorry, you will have to advise what you are referring to, as I don't know.

Quote:
He has kept people imprisoned, without trial or evidence.
You mean he is enforcing the anti-terrorist laws passed by the Liberal governments? Don't like them? Lobby to have them removed. I did on the gun registry. I appeared before the Justice Committee twice, I lobbied both Liberal and Conservative cabinet ministers and I was heavily involved with the Supreme Court challenge. It took 15 years to overturn that law. What are YOU doing about opposing the anti-terrorist law if you don't like it?

Quote:
Harper is behind the NDP in all recent opinion polls, and is going nowhere but down, all for good reason. He runs the country like a dictator, silencing scientists who don't support blind allegiance to corporate feudalism, with threats and firings.
He is the worst, most treasonist prime minister Canada has ever had .Too bad we are stuck with him, for a while yet.
We are probably 'stuck' l Harper for at least another 6.5 years. The NDP will not win the next election, and the Liberals don't have a hope in hell.

After that, all bets are off. Inevitably, some scandal will hit the Conservatives, they will get complacent, or they will invoke 'entitlement' like the Liberals did. My guess is the NDP will fade back into third place, and commonsense Liberals will rise, and perhaps have a legitimate crack at government.

But not next election.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?