Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010

SameBoat is on a distinguished road
Stay out of Georgia

Georgia has many beautiful anchorages and historical areas. We anchored off St. Marys - a beautiful town with nice people. Then the state DNR came by and told us that as liveaboards we could only remain in the state for 30 days per calendar year. We felt like trolls living under a bridge somewhere! So we were kicked out of the state. Plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd be curious as to know the reason for that... Last I checked, boats in transit did not have a time limit to cross a given piece of coastline according to federal laws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
"Thank you very much for the information Mr. Officer. I have documented receipts in my possession that I have been outside of Georgia and only entered your state on XXX/xxxx/XXXX, today is yyy/YYYY/YYYY which means that IU have ZZZ days left to stay in your fair state; however, I plan to leave your state as absolutely as soon as possible and patronize those businesses in those other states that are more friendly to maritime travelers. Have an nice day and Good By".
.... and then send a copy of those discussion to the Georgia governors office with a cc to "vacation in Georgia" office responsible for marketing Georgia as a friendly vacation destination.

Better to bypass Georgia altogether than travel through all the oxbows on the ICW there anyway.

Last edited by RichH; 06-28-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Georgia's probably not the only state with such restrictions. The secret is never never tell anybody you are a "liveaboard". You are a cruiser passing through, you are in transit, you are a transient yachter, but you are NOT a liveaboard. In some areas liveaboards are boaters that don't move, and they are treated differently from cruisers/yachts in transit, etc.
Having said that, Georgia has become an unfriendly state to boaters. I hate saying it because I grew up there and loved the years I spent on the coast.
Pearson796 likes this.
Old 06-28-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
I was there several yrs. ago when the law was passed,30.days/yr.Will skip next timeThink 1/2 river fl.
Old 06-28-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd be curious as to know the reason for that... Last I checked, boats in transit did not have a time limit to cross a given piece of coastline according to federal laws.
Just about all states have such laws for how long you can remain within their sovereign borders ---- without having to PAY the differential of sales taxes, etc. between what you actually paid in your 'home' state and what they demand from the citizen of that state. Same for automobiles, trucks, etc. too. BoatUS.com: Government Affairs

as for cruising sailors, Florida HAS to be the MOST UNFRIENDLY state for visiting boaters .... not only do the 'revenuers' come after you, but the FWC will be visiting you often to make sure that when swimming if you momentarily duck under the water you will get a fine if you dont have a 'divers flag', the potty police have become legal thugs (especially Volusia County), and no matter that FL has tried to make sense of the inane 'anchoring laws' the local govts. seem to enjoy ignoring such state laws and relish employing gestapo tactics including armed intimidation to board you and threaten at any time.
Old 07-19-2010

Dolby is on a distinguished road
Had no problems in any of those states....just glad we're out of the US now...with very little intention of ever returning....
capn_dave and capta like this.
Old 07-20-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Had no problems in any of those states....just glad we're out of the US now...with very little intention of ever returning....
If you feel that way about our country we're glad you're gone too.
Old 07-20-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameBoat View Post
Georgia has many beautiful anchorages and historical areas. We anchored off St. Marys - a beautiful town with nice people. Then the state DNR came by and told us that as liveaboards we could only remain in the state for 30 days per calendar year. We felt like trolls living under a bridge somewhere! So we were kicked out of the state. Plan accordingly.
While I don't doubt it was an unplesant experience, I don't think that's exactly what they told you. In this country they can't throw anyone out of a State, no matter how much the person might deserve it. What States can do, is make you WISH you had left. I believe what you were told was that if you stayed more than 30 days, you'd be considered a resident and subject to the same taxes as every other resident. They weren't throwing you out, they were giving you friendly advice.

These are the same laws you'd face if you rented an apartment, pitched a tent, or set up your RV for more than 30 days so they don't discriminate against boaters, this just happens to be a boating forum. Go to aviation forums and find out about the rude suprises airplane owners have had sprung on them for taking an airplane into a State for more that 30 days.
Old 07-20-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Have anchored off Cumberland Island, GA. many times, never been visited by DNR. Also many cruisers go to St. Marys for their Thanksgiving get together. I've never been but have been told it's very friendly and everyone has a great time.