Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Step 1: Determine how many months you want to cruise.
Step 2: Take the amount of cash you've got, can raise, or will have when you leave, add in whatever total monthly income you expect to have, (pensions or annuities or investment income) subtract the cost of whatever boat you plan to buy, add 25% of boat purchase price for refit and add-on costs, then divide the total by the number of months you want to cruise.

Now you have your monthly budget. How you spend that budget is up to you. You can spend it in marinas and eat ramen noodles and canned beer, or you can anchor out and drink good rum and eat conch and crab.
mdi likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011

Skippyman is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your site. It will keep me busy for a good while.
Old 05-01-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
there is a book named cruising on a small budget....might wanna find and read it too... gooodluck---smooth sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-01-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We're full time liveaboard coastal cruisers who find it easy to stay within $700/month for all the costs associated with the boat maintenance, refits, docks, utility fees, moorings, diesel, custom fees, etc. If you can add your home costs, lawn care, utilities, property taxes, car ownership, maintenance, auto insurance, etc. and have a similar sum; then, it should be easy. All other costs are likely to be equivalent wether you're in a house or a boat. I'm just making a guess since I haven't lived in a house since I moved out of my parent's house in 1964. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-02-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
easiest things for me were ridding myself of car-- lol and i didnt have a house to worry about---only thing i find prohibitive is rent in a marina..... i prefer anchoring, as does my cat--he doesnt like the tether situation he needs on a dock--he knows is needed and is part of him, and loves me for the safety, but he doesnt like the restriction......
no9t owning a house makes the cost overall of cruising much lower....

.home is where the boat is...

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 03-29-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: $ Cruising ??

This thread is a month old I know, but forgive me for bumping it as I think this is one of those topics that Cruisers-to-be stress about. We certainly did.

I believe that cruising is not that dissimilar to life on land. It essentially costs as much as you are willing or able to pay for it...you can live in a apartment, ride a bike and eat what is fresh/seasonal and cheap, or you can live in a mansion with every conceivable gadget, drive a BMW and eat and drink yourself silly.

Having said that it pays to be realistic about expectations as well and what cruising is about for you. If you enjoy eating out at home chances are you probably will enjoy it cruising. If you are into gadgets, you will probably want a boat full of them. If your wife needs certain comforts then sailing off into the blue yonder in a boat with no refridgeration and a cramped cabin might end your cruise prematurely.

Our mistakes????
We underestimated the amount of time we would spend in Marinas, that's not to say that we have spent huge amounts of time in them necessarily, but it added up quickly. Bad weather leading to a decision to stay put in a Marina for a few days would blow that month's budget to shatters....we are now careful about Marina's but they for us are still sometimes a necessary evil.

I didn't know enough about boat stuff. While we were preparing the boat it became very obvious that 'calling a man'( my wife's catchphrase for when I couldn't fix something) would bankrupt us before we even left the dock. Professionals also sometimes have different priorities to you( why should they try to fix your old windlass when they are a dealer for Muir??) I have been on a steep learning curve ever since, and saved myself thousands in the process.
jrd22 likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 03-30-2012
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

$1,063.44/mo for the boat, add money for food, entertainment, clothing, drink, fees, travel etc
Old 03-30-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

It depends so incredibly much on how you like to live, as others have already stated. Here's ours: Cost of Living ... Afloat | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)
utchuckd likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-30-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Here is a report by several different types of cruising boats

SV Estrellita - Cost of Cruising

Old 03-30-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Ask the locals in the Carribean what they eat. They are experts in low cost living in the area. They certainly don't need $1,000 a month