SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   There's This Place... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/theres-place/)
-   -   (Not so) Secret Spot in Hawaii (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/theres-place/82901-not-so-secret-spot-hawaii.html)

vega1860 01-19-2012 06:40 PM

(Not so) Secret Spot in Hawaii

There hasn't been a new post here in a while so I thought I would drop something in. Hint: It is between the Big Island and Oahu, near Molokai and Kaho'olawe. It is not Maui.:cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J3i_UwxiK3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AdamLein 01-19-2012 08:40 PM

You've got to admit it's a pretty unusually shaped and laid out harbor. I can practically see you in that park on Google Maps :)

I've been keeping up to date on your channel so I'd like to say, thanks for all the posts! It feels a little bit sunnier every time I watch one.

Oh and by the way, great sound track selection. My 1.5-yr-old daughter starts dancing whenever the two familiar pieces come on :)

Amazing Grace 02-21-2012 03:15 AM

This would be Manele Bay, Lanai.

miatapaul 04-05-2012 06:21 PM

Re: (Not so) Secret Spot in Hawaii

I almost did a college ex-tern program in Lanai, but I choose Bear Mountain in New York because it paid twice as much. And my brother lives on Maui, never understood why I did that! But I fell in love with New York. I actually wanted to go someplace I thought I would not like because I had plans on going to France and becoming a big chef, funny how life takes you on a long strange trip! I work on computers now and have not been in a commercial kitchen in over 15 years! I did have 2 classmates that went and I believe they are both still in the business.

Famoffour 08-16-2012 03:19 PM

You are the first person I have found in HI. I keep getting allot of negative info conceding HI. I hear it is liveaboad unfriendly and there are no slips. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about boat life there. We have our son living in Maui and we been thinking on moving there in a boat,due to the hi cost of rent. However it's sees like east coast is more boat friendly. Any info will be most appreciate.
Thank you,Gina

ParadiseParrot 08-16-2012 05:17 PM

They say Cruising is drinking happy hour beer in exotic places.

DRFerron 08-16-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famoffour (Post 910472)
You are the first person I have found in HI. ...Any info will be most appreciate.
Thank you,Gina

Gina,

Vega's original post was from January and he only comes onto the forum sporadically. You might try clicking the link in his signature and going to their blog to contact them that way. Otherwise you might have a long wait for a response.

Good luck.

Enigma0 01-05-2013 06:06 PM

That bragging may get the place closed down. This forum is seen all over the world.

Ah, well. It's far away...

vega1860 01-06-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma0 (Post 971385)
That bragging may get the place closed down. This forum is seen all over the world.

I don't think so. It's a state run harbor with a control depth of six feet and a total of 24 slips.

vega1860 01-06-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famoffour (Post 910472)
You are the first person I have found in HI. I keep getting allot of negative info conceding HI. I hear it is liveaboad unfriendly and there are no slips. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about boat life there. We have our son living in Maui and we been thinking on moving there in a boat,due to the hi cost of rent. However it's sees like east coast is more boat friendly. Any info will be most appreciate.
Thank you,Gina

Sorry we missed your post back in August. We were in an isolated cove on Baranof Island in Alaska.

The short answer is, your info is correct. There is no place to legally live aboard in Maui and slips are all but non existent but some people do find a way.