Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
This little piggy went to the market...West Coast of Palawan, Philippines.
Attached Thumbnails
Cultural Aspects of Off Shore Cruising-p4111142.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Cruisers Wet t Shirt contest, Musket Cove Rally Week, Fiji.
BOOOOOYYYYAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Now them's some cultural aspects we can all appreciate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Native dancers, Vanuatu.

I spent 2 years in the Solomon Islands (relatively close to Vanuatu and very much the same cultures and people). It was there that the female breast lost some of its appeal, becoming much more utilitarian objects.

(I realize the last two posts were contradictory. But that's how I roll.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-04-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
BOOOOOYYYYAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Now them's some cultural aspects we can all appreciate.
Yeah, but whose???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-04-2012

Men's dance in Vanuatu. The kept asking us if we had the Australian "budgie smugglers", seems those leaves were a bit scratchy. What's a budgie smuggler?
Attached Thumbnails
Cultural Aspects of Off Shore Cruising-mat-041.jpg  

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-04-2012
Last Man Standing

When I'm 70, I'm definitely going with the sheath. That's just too damn cool.

Of course that dude's throwin' a thumbs up. Life is good when you're sheathed.

Old 02-05-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Meeting people

We really enjoy meeting the people in various places and finding out something how they live. I guess in terms of a different kind of place to live, Pitcairn Island would certainly qualify. So long as you can deal with the isolation it seems quite idyllic. The weather is great (out of the tropical storm belt). You can grow most of your food, the houses are quite pleasant. Helps if your hobby is HAM radio since lots of people would want to talk to you.

Here is my wife (2nd from left) and some of the local people. You can see the mixed English and Polynesian background. Brenda Christian is the woman on the left. She is the immigration officer and drives the sea boat that comes out to bring you ashore.

Since my wife is of Chinese ancestry she finds it interesting to talk to Chinese people who have moved to various spots in the world to hear their stories. Here she is with some of the Chinese people who live in American Samoa. Chinese people run most of the stores in AS and work incredibly hard. The lady on the left owns two stores and works 6 1/2 days a week (takes Sunday afternoons off - but still runs to the local version of a Costco to buy stock during that time. We talked to another storekeeper and he works from 7 am to 10 pm 7 days a week - either he is the store or his wife is. We found out that immigration 'agents' (crooks) in Fujian province China convince people that when they migrate to American Samoa they are going to the United States - when they get there they find out that it is not the United States and that residents of AS do not have the automatic right to move to the US proper.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 02-05-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2012

Remember the little piggy that went to the market?Best pork we've ever eaten, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo.
Attached Thumbnails
Cultural Aspects of Off Shore Cruising-borneo-lidam-longhouse-7-23-2010-9-42-18-am-3264x2448.jpg  

Old 02-06-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Remember the little piggy that went to the market?Best pork we've ever eaten, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo.
I was in Sarawak on business a few years ago (I flew in, how pedestrian! ) did you get a chance to try Sarawak Laksa? I had some at the hotel restaurant and it was awesome!

I was only on the island for 2-3 days; I never got to explore.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962

Last edited by CarbonSink62; 02-06-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling; being stoopid;
Old 02-06-2012

Yes. Lots of interesting food in Borneo. Now trying the Penang Curry...