Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012

cherokeelullabyII is on a distinguished road
Marinas or anchorages in Nassau

We have just started cruising in the Bahamas and are planning on going to Nassau (briefly) and then on down to the Exumas. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good transient marina for a sailboat (29 ft), definitely NOT a megayacht? If not, what about anchorages? We've used the guidebooks, but are still in a quandry.

Last edited by cherokeelullabyII; 03-28-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: no poll
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Marinas or anchorages in Nassau

There is a designated yacht anchorage between the cruise ship docks and the bridge. It is not very big, has lousy holding, there is a considerable current, and lots of boat wakes. Other than that, just fine for a brief visit. There is a secure place to leave your dinghy at a restaurant (can't remember if they charge). We were there for one night when dropping people off for the plane. There is a very nice anchorage a few miles east of Nassau (forget the name), but it is not a place that you could dinghy in from unless you had a very large, fast dink.
Old 03-29-2012

captden is on a distinguished road

We were there back in November, to anchor in the harbor is doable but I wouldn't the current is real strong and the holding is poor. We stayed at Nassau Yacht Haven Club and had a nice time and your close to everything. Enjoy your trip we loved the Exumas, we are now in the Turks making our way south
Captden
Old 03-30-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

If you use the designated anchorage you do need a Bahamian moor. That is two anchors at 180 degrees aligned along the channel. The current is fairly strong and reverses with the tide. Put your better anchor out to the east. I have stayed there for weeks in total and once the anchors were set had no problems.

EXCEPT there may be some clown who arrives, anchors on a single anchor and 200 feet of rope rode then goes ashore before the current swaps. At the time I had a heavily built and not pristine steel ketch. 'What me worry'. But I have seen some frantic fendering going on.
Old 03-30-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Nassau Yacht Haven Club is a good place ... I routinely stay there anytime when Im in Nassau.
Old 03-30-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

We stayed at Harbour Central Marina (where the Texaco fuel dock is) for a week in order to fly back for my father's funeral. We got lucky and only paid $1/ft.

We also anchored in the anchorage outside of the Green Parrot bar. We used a single Bruce on all chain rode without any issues for a couple of days. Look for a sandy spot (hard to find).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2012

toolowd is on a distinguished road
Marinas or anchorages in Nassau

I have anchored there on one anchor very successfully. I have a 45 lb anchor on 3/8ths chain on a heavy 32 foot boat. Look for sandy spots and dive in the hook at slack tide and make sure it is buried.

Try not to anchor too close to shore, as, once in a while, people try to swim out to your boat to liberate things. Only the very close to shore boats have been boarded though. Just don't leave your ladder out.
Old 03-30-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We anchored in the yacht anchorage with a single anchor (Manson) and all chain without a problem. Did not see any boats there with two anchors out. Takes some trying to find halfway decent holding.