Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
canal fees on the rise again...

could be of interest to some of us....from cruising compass...

Toll Increase for Panama Canal Announced
Posted on April 25, 2012 by sarah
This is not great news for many cruisers, but be sure to take it into account if you have plans to head through the Panama Canal after July 1.

The board of the Panama Canal Authority (ACP) has approved a toll increase of 15% in two years on seven types of large ships and from 60% to 113% for small vessels passing through the Panama Canal as of July 1. The proposed change approved last Wednesday also increases tolls on eight to eleven distinct types of ships passing through the waterway, which “seeks to approximate the amount of toll to the value offered by the interoceanic route to their users,” detailed the ACP in a statement.

The segments will be defined as: container, general cargo, container / bulk cargo, refrigerated cargo, bulk dry, tankers, gas carriers, car carriers, ro-ro and passenger and others. Those with recorded increases of 15% (7.5% in 2012 and the same percentage in 2013) are general cargo, containers/breakbulk, bulk dry, tankers, chemical tankers and others (those not covered by any of categories). Car carriers and ro-ro (roll-on/roll off, equipped with ramps) will increase by only 1.6 to 1.7% in the toll from July 1, said the statement of the proposal. The rate for each segment is calculated on a table that gives a price for the first 10,000 tons, one for the next 10,000 and a third rate for the rest.

For smaller vessels, which have suffered an increase since 1998, proposed increases in four price levels on the basis of the length of the vessel, ranging between 60% and 113%, so the new tolls would be $500 to $800 dollars for smaller boats (50-feet) and $1,500 to $3,200 to the largest (100-feet).

Furthermore, the rate per ton of displacement, now $3.02, also will increase 15.5% to $3.25 as of July 1, and to $3.49 in the the same month next year.

About the increases, the ACP administrator Alberto Aleman, said the proposal brings the tolls closer to the value and quality advantages offered by the route through the Panama Canal, while maintaining the competitiveness of the route.

“The ACP reaffirms its interest in maintaining a dialogue with the industry to enable us to structure a system of tolls according to the needs of our users which results in benefits for themselves and for Panama,” Aleman said.

For the complete story, go to Panama Guide - Thousands of Articles in English.

Panama Guide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: canal fees on the rise again...

Wow 115% increase for small boats. I see an oportunity for a small trucking firm with a 40ton lift.
zeehag likes this.
Old 04-29-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

A whooping $500 to $800 for most recreational boats? That still sounds cheap, compared to the alternative.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-29-2012

mine goes from 850 to 1850 or more...

Old 04-29-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mine goes from 850 to 1850 or more...
Still sounds cheap, compared to the alternative.

BTW:
Looking at the canal fees, I don't see how you get $1850 for a 41' boat. Its $550 now, and will presumably go up to $800 or so. There is an additional "buffer" fee. But that is supposed to be refunded if your transit goes as planned. Or am I missing something?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 04-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post

BTW:
Looking at the canal fees, I don't see how you get $1850 for a 41' boat. Its $550 now, and will presumably go up to $800 or so. There is an additional "buffer" fee. But that is supposed to be refunded if your transit goes as planned. Or am I missing something?
You're missing something, line handlers, tires rental for bumpers, agent fees, adviser fees, etc... It adds up to about double the canal transit fee.
Old 04-29-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
You're missing something, line handlers, tires rental for bumpers, agent fees, adviser fees, etc... It adds up to about double the canal transit fee.
OK. So, how is it not a bargain compared to the alternative?
Old 05-08-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough

About the increases, the ACP administrator Alberto Aleman, said the proposal brings the tolls closer to the value and quality advantages offered by the route through the Panama Canal, while maintaining the competitiveness of the route.

"Competitiveness of the route" ????

From what?

Where is the competition?

Presumably Cape Horn is the competition?
Old 05-08-2012

next they will set up a concession and a toll at the horn.......then t hey will have their competition...LOL

Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post

BTW:

funny--when i looked it up on the panama canal website, the price for under 50 ft --my boat--was 850, in print, PLUS handlers and advisor and lines and handlers et alii and et cetera.....where do folks get these lower rates??? isnt what is posted in panama canal site.
i figured i need 5000 for transit and foods

Last edited by zeehag; 05-08-2012 at 09:31 AM.