Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bigdogandy
  • 1 Post By Capt.aaron

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013
Landlocked

moskalm is on a distinguished road
Florida keys: outside or inside?

The title tells it all. Those who have sailed to the keys please give me your opinions. Single handing hunter 28. 4' draft. As of now I'm going inside. Just seems better for anchorages. Feel free to persuade, dissuade, encourage and advise.
Greatly appreciate the guidance.
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida keys: outside or inside?

It all depends on what experience you're looking for, what time of year you're there, and what the weather's doing.

If you want the experience of sailing, and sailing on big water, with the ability to duck inside the reef to catch a mooring buoy at one of the reefs or sail in the more protected waters of ther Hawk Channel, then you'll want to be on the outside. If you're OK with a lot of motoring, but enjoy the ability to find secluded anchorages amongst the mangroves, then go on the inside.

If you want to go snorkeling, stay on the outside.

If you like fly fishing, stay on the inside.

If the weather is nice and you have a nice breeze from anywhere but south, stay on the outside.

If the weather is nasty and blowing hard out of the east or south, stay on the inside.

Either way, make sure you have a Seatow or TowBoat membership in good standing (cheap insurance in case something breaks), current charts and at least a decent handheld GPS, and a VHF that works.

If you stay on the outside, and you like snorkeling or diving, don't miss tying up to the mooring buoys at the reefs.....get a Top Spot chart and it will show you where they are. Carysfort Reef at the north end of Key Largo has a big reef area for snorkeling and a steep drop off on the ocean side...lots of sea life there. Also there's a cool old lighthouse built on the reef. Dry Rocks has the Christ of the Abyss statue. Cannon Patch is a good sized patch reef and is far enough inside the main reef line that it can be a great fairly protected place to overnight if the wind is out of the east or south. Molasses Reef and French Reef have lots of nice coral and usually lots of sea life to check out. Good anchorages are scarce on the ocean side....Rodriguez Key in Key Largo is usually good unless the wind is from the north. You can get a mooring ball in Largo Sound at Pennekamp state park, also. You can also duck into Florida Bay to find an anchorage just south of Tavernier at Snake Creek or a bit farther south at Channel 5 below lower Matecumbe. Don't try to sail Hawk Channel at night.

If you stay on the inside - there is a nice anchorage at North Nest Key on the inside just north of Key Largo. It's a couple of miles off the ICW but it's a great place to get away....during the week. On the weekend there's usually at least a few boats there. I used to go there with my Irwin 25 that drew 3 feet with no problem, and if you are careful to watch your depths you'll be OK with 4. The anchorage at Sunset Cove is nice also but exposed if the wind's from the west. From there you have access to the Publix grocery store (about a mile walk). Go to Calypsos for fish tacos and sangria if you stop at Sunset Cove. Seriously. If you miss that look for, find, and go to the Lorelei in Islamorada for good live music and coldbeer. Farther down there's a nice anchorage just west of Lignumvitae Key also, and while you're there go check out Lignumvitae Key itself. IIRC It has the last remaining stand of native mahagoany forest left in north America....it's a gorgeous sight. Don't miss Bahia Honda State Park.....cool place, interesting history, and one of the few real beaches in the Keys. After that yopu get to Marathon, and that's about the extent of my experience sailing the Keys.

Wow - didn't mean to ramble on but thinking about being in the keys got me going.

Either way - inside or out - you'll have a ball. Just watch the depths....the bottom is all sharp and pointy on the outside and deceptively shallow and grippy on the inside.
rikhall and utchuckd like this.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 01-30-2013

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

I have enjoyed the Bay side of the Keys. As you note there are more anchoring options. With a little imagination/planning you can find a place to hide from most winds. Islamorada is one of my favorite stops. Just pick your spot to drop the hook and dive/check the anchor as some areas are shallow sand over coral and not good holding. I draw 3.5 ft and have never had an issue, you just have to get used to being in 5 ft of water. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 01-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I go out side if I'm trying to knock off miles quick and cover ground. Inside If I'm gunkholing down and I want to see more. 4 foot draft you are golden. You can sail the whole thing this time of year the wind will be at your back. I would sail inside till the 7 mile bridge, and cross over there to the outside, stop in Bahia Honda, Newfound Harbour, Niles Channel and then on down to key west from there.
utchuckd likes this.
Old 01-31-2013
Landlocked

moskalm is on a distinguished road
excellent

Gentlemen, this was all excellent information and greatly appreciated. I finally have the clear picture I've needed.
If you're ever down there the name's CUTBOW.
I'll buy you a beer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.