Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > There's This Place...
 Not a Member? 

There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

pkats is on a distinguished road
Barnegat Bay after Sandy

Does anybody know the condition of Barnegat Bay, NJ after Sandy? We keep a boat in Toms River and I am concern if we would be able to leave Toms River this season, especially area near Good Luck Point, Route 37 Bridge and by Red marker 36. This area was pretty shallow to begin with but now… Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Barnegat Bay after Sandy

Only thing showing on Active Captain are a couple of markers missing. There are some areas north that show "severe damage" and shoaling. I would check out the the areas you plan on going there, I am sure more and more stuff will get posted as the season warms up.
Old 03-21-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Then again, there were reports of the USCG hitting a sunken volvo a few weeks ago, and I believe it was in that general area. I haven't been on the water out there, but I looked at marinas near there and Good Luck Point was hit BAD. There is likely to be a lot of debris in the water in and around that area. Like Paul, I checked AC a few days ago, and I haven't seen many reports, but I wonder if that's simply because there aren't a lot of boats out there right now.

About a month or two ago, I read about how Christie promised to dredge the bay and pull a lot of the debris out, with a target of Memorial Day for the majority of the work. I haven't seen any updates.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2013

pkats is on a distinguished road

Found some useful web sites:
http://www.waterwayguide.com/superstorm-sandy/
Dredging Today – USA: Dredging Plan for New Jersey Intracoastal Waterways Introduced
Old 03-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links! Looks like south of Toms River should be decent, but as you head north, things look more interesting. Here's one report:

Mantoloking, NJ - Miles 10 to 6
Northern 2013 Edition, Page 96

This area took storm surge over top the barrier island, closing the waterway after the storm. Yet, the ICW has been reported by the USCG to now be open and navigable. Off the channel, however, the bay is choked with debris, including houses, piers, and sunken boats, and debris affects the channel regularly. Cleanup is ongoing, but might not be completed this year. According to Hinckley Yacht Services, "The channel is being cleared, but it is a very slow process -- a 73 footer came down the ICW to the yard yesterday and hit nothing, but other boats have not been so fortunate. There is clearly a lot of debris in the ICW, and the channel is not fully operational. Manaquan Inlet and the Point Pleasant Canal are reported to be open and clear.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.