Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Gulf of Mexico > TMCA (Texas Mariners Cruising Assoc)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010

HermitScott is on a distinguished road
Hello all. We are at the CC marina right now but transferring to the Port Aransas marina April 1. I had to wait over a year for that slip. The CC marina is nice, but the city is ghetto.
We look forward to sailing in the gulf(which we have never done) and meeting some new friends in Port A. We plan to sail to South Padre as soon as all the college kids vacate from spring break.
We have no experience sailing and hope to crew some before we take off on our own. I'd really rather not learn sailing in the gulf on my own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C30 Event Horizon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitScott View Post
Hello all. We are at the CC marina right now but transferring to the Port Aransas marina April 1. I had to wait over a year for that slip. The CC marina is nice, but the city is ghetto.
We look forward to sailing in the gulf(which we have never done) and meeting some new friends in Port A. We plan to sail to South Padre as soon as all the college kids vacate from spring break.
We have no experience sailing and hope to crew some before we take off on our own. I'd really rather not learn sailing in the gulf on my own.
We have our boat over at Island Moorings in Port A. Perhaps we will cross paths before long.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-19-2010

HermitScott is on a distinguished road
I have a friend who is a Navy pilot. He is living on his boat at PortA marina. He has to move at the end of this month. He plans on going to Island Moorings for the last month he is stationed here. He is in a transient slip so the season for that is over. It is unfortunate that the day I move in, he has to move out.
He helped me install a new furler today. I have only been sailing with the main since all my headsails have luff tape. I have twin 150s and a double grooved furler. I can't wait to try it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C30 Event Horizon
Old 03-20-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxegwen View Post
Hi,

I just got a seidelmann 25 on lake travis. The plan though is to work on it over the spring and eventually set sail for the Caribbean sometime in the late spring/early summer.
Has anyone ever sailed out of the texas coast to the Caribbean Islands or Yucatan Peninsula? Where would you set off out of? I hear theres a lot of traffic out of Galveston...

Thanks!
The most traffic is getting from Galveston Bay out to the Gulf - you have to cross the ferry boat route and they move a lot faster than you would think. Once you get out of the ship channel, there's not much traffic - most of the big ships out in the safely fairlane are at anchor, waiting for the pilot to come get them.
Where do you plan to put your boat until you are ready to leave? Just leave from wherever that is. If you are going to sail to the Caribbean, you need to have a variety of experiences anyway.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 11-29-2011

s/vchaser is on a distinguished road
We are in the san patricio navigation district marina in Aransas Pass right now. Moving to Island moorings next week and I can't wait! Hot showers and a hot tub!!!!! Liveaboards aren't allowed at San Pat marina and most of my learning to sail has been trips to Island moorings or Rockport municipal marina to use their free self serve pump outs every week. It's as good an excuse as any to sail right? My wife and I own a Ranger 29 sailboat named chaser and commute down to Corpus every week from Lubbock. She is a college professor there and my job is taking care of the ranch and her. I'm like an unpaid chauffeur I guess. haha. We sail a lot so if any of you want to meet up just let me know. I have learned the ICW in that area pretty well and with a 5.6 foot draft believe me I have learned the hard way. Haven't had to call the tow boat yet though. Thankfully. This weekend we're going up to House of boats to clean the bottom and change my prop then off to Island moorings as soon as I'm done. Hope to meet some of you.
Old 04-08-2013

captmike is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are all the Texas Padre Island Cruisers

Hi everyone Im new to this site. I sail the Aransa bay/ Corpus Christi Bay area a lot . I keep my boat at the Island Mooring Marina. Great place if you have never been there. It has awesome amenities including a fantastic Bar, for after sailing of course. I hope to see you there.