Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Gulf of Mexico > TMCA (Texas Mariners Cruising Assoc)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009
umop apisdn wI

Tetra is on a distinguished road
Wrecked my boat

Well, the Texas 200 was quite an adventure this year. Read my story here:

http://www.svbluepeter.com/lossstory.htm

John
Boatless in Oklahoma

Last edited by Tetra; 12-19-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
John,
I feel your pain, this must have been a terrible experince for you.
I don't mean to come across as critical and its always easier when your not the other guy, but why the need to "Get there"? I fall into the same trap on many an occasion. The "I gotta get there idis" will get you every time. Could you not have dropped the hook, waited it out, and called your friends to let them know your intentions were to stay put till it blew over? If need be stay all night? Get some sleep and try again when the weather is more favorable? Did you carry Food and water for emergincies? Back up hand held radio? Gps? Spare AA batteries? Do you have a dry bag?
Please don't take what I say the wrong way. I was not there, I am not in your shoes, I have no idea what I would have done.
Just maybe pointing out some things for the next time your sailing 200miles and I do hope you get out there real soon. All the best to you.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 06-25-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2009
Tartan 41

bob77903 is on a distinguished road
John,
Sorry for your misfortune...I hope you get another boat, and do the next Texas 200...My boat is berthed in Port O'Connor, so am familiar with this years stronger than normal winds, and how they effect the shallow bay waters. I don't do the Texas 200, but if you get back down here I can always use an extra crew member for a sail, or if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask...Fair winds to you in the future...

Bob

Last edited by bob77903; 06-25-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Jeez Tetra - that completely sucks. Sounds like you had a lot of good people around you. Hang in there dude.
Old 06-25-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Sorry for your lost but I must say you wrote about it very well. Great job on your retelling of those terrible events.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2009
umop apisdn wI

Tetra is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the nice thoughts and words, everyone. I wanted an adventure and certainly got one.

sailortjk1, your comments are good ones and well taken. It's hard to say what I might or might not have done, but I think if I'd truely decided that I couldn't get out of there, I'd have stopped and worked on a Plan B. There were enough moving boats around that I could have taken a line from someone and gotten to deep water. I just thought all along that I'd be able to sail her out of that tight spot. The first time that it occurred to me that I might be unable to succeed was when I capsized. Sometimes, I'm slow like that.

Thinking about it more, I might have been able to reach back toward the direction I'd come. Had I done that, I could have gained some sea room and tried it all over again. But, I just felt like I could beat upwind and get to where I needed to go. Oh well. I tend to learn things the hard way.

We be sailors!
Old 06-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm sorry for your loss... Potters are generally quite seaworthy little boats from what I've read and seen.

However, I'd second what TJK wrote and that the use of a good anchor might have saved you some serious trouble. It is one piece of gear that is regularly overlooked as safety gear. I'd also point out that some way to seal the centerboard trunk should be setup on any centerboard boat going out in heavy weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Great story, full of important lessons. We all can learn from mistakes, everyone makes them. Most sailors have been aground, most small boat sailors have capsized. Don't be hard on yourself, do review your actions for next time. The most important lesson is to help others, and accept help when offered. If people didn't need eachother, there wouldn't be so many of us here. Fair winds.
Old 07-06-2009

eolon is on a distinguished road
"Hey, there's my boathook!" I'm sorry, but that was truly funny. Anyone who can find humor in a bad situation will always prevail. Good luck to you and God bless.

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Old 07-07-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
glad you are OK, that was painful to read.

Pearson 26 #1200