Weeklong cruise through the Cape Cod Canal and outer Cape--your suggestions? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013

marktun is on a distinguished road
Weeklong cruise through the Cape Cod Canal and outer Cape--your suggestions?

Folks,

Here's a draft itinerary for our first full week of the season. Just the wife and I, trying to hit some new destinations. Let me know what you think!

1) Saturday: Barrington to Newport (or, down river to 3rd Beach).
2) Sunday: Newport to Quisset Harbor (alternatives: Pocassett Harbor, Red Brook Harbor, Marion, Onset)
3) Monday: Quissett Harbor via Cape Cod Canal to Provincetown Harbor
4) Tuesday: 2nd night in Provincetown, or weather day
5) Weds: Provincetown via outer Cape to Chatham--Stage Harbor (alternative; continue to Woods Hole and Hadley's Harbor)
6) Thurs: Chatham through Woods Hole to Tarpaulin Cove (alternative: Hadley's)
7) Friday: Tarpaulin Cove to Cuttyhunk
8) Saturday: Cuttyhunk to Jamestown
9) Sunday: Jamestown return to Barrington.

I'm considering an alternative schedule that stays in cape cod bay starting on day 6, hits another harbor or two, then heads back out through the Canal. We would likely be in Ptown then for two days, including the 4th of July.

I'm particularly interested in the destinations in italics. For example, for day 2), any strong preferences or advantages to any of the alternatives mentioned?

We know enough to time our canal transit to a weekday, at slack or with the tide. Same for Woods Hole.

Thanks in advance for all of your past and current support, and let me know if I can help in any way.

With best wishes,

Mark

Last edited by marktun; 06-18-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: corrected days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013

ACKward is on a distinguished road
Re: Weeklong cruise through the Cape Cod Canal and outer Cape--your suggestions?

I'm sorry not to have noticed your post until some 3 months after you posted it! Would be interested to hear how your cruise itinerary panned out (and what type of boat you were sailing).

I haven't tried Quisseet yet, but it's high on my to-do list. I'm a big fan of Red Brook and Hadley, though for very different reasons. Either would have been viable alternatives for your 2nd leg.

Around the outer Cape from P-town is a good haul. I think you're wise to pick Stage Harbor (Chatham), as Woods Hole would be a very long trek. Saquatucket Harbor is Harwich is also a good alternative (though it's slips only; no moorings or anchorage).

Tarpaulin Cove and Menemsha are on the Vineyard Sound side of the Elizabeth Islands; Hadley and Cuttyhunk are on the Buzzards Bay side. All 4 are great spots to visit (though Tarpaulin isn't really a harbor). Vineyard Haven is also cool.

Anyhow, hope you had a terrific cruise. I'll try to be a little more timely about picking up on Cape Cod cruising threads in the future!
1980 Tartan 37 Hull #228
Harwich Port, MA
Old 09-10-2013

marktun is on a distinguished road
Re: Weeklong cruise through the Cape Cod Canal and outer Cape--your suggestions?

Hi ACKward,

Thanks for your belated reply. And your thoughts and suggestions. We ended up skipping the outer cape, and it being the week of 4th of July, hit the following itinerary:

Barrington, RI to Third Beach, Newport (Nasty weather system had big waves hitting us all the way down the Sakonnet River for 3 hours)

Newport to North Falmouth, MA Nasty, washing machine weather at the intersection of the Sakonnet and Buzzard's Bay that day. We had free dockage at Brewer's Fiddler's cove, which get my wife's award for "best bathrooms facilities ever").

North Falmouth through Cape Cod Canal to Plymouth, MA We stayed for 2 days after having an easy time with our first traverse through the canal.

Plymouth to Manomet, MA We have friends who live here, and while not a protected anchorage we were able to stay overnight without issue, laying out 150 ft of chain.

Manomet through Cape Cod Canal to Catumet, MA. Kingman Yacht Center was a lovely spot.

Catumet to Padanarum A return to this favorite harbor.

Padanarum to Jamestown, RI Conanicut Marine runs a top notch facility that we frequent.

Jamestown to Barrington, RI

Due to the timing with Independence Day, we saw fireworks virtually every night, including the last night in Jamestown, RI where we were moored 25 yrds from the barge firing them off.

Since that time, I've had two other area trips:

1) A trip with some buddies: Perfect weather and wind in August, 2013
Padanarum to Hadley's,
Hadley's through Woods Hole to Edgartown,
Edgartown via Quick's Hole to Cuttyhunk,
Cuttyhunk to Newport, and
Newport to Barrington.

2) Vacation heading West for the first time with the wife:
Barrington to Dutch Harbor, RI
Dutch Harbor to Stonington, CT
Stonington across Long Island Sound to Coeckles Harbor, Shelter Island, NY
Coeckles Harbor to Sag Harbor, NY
Sag Harbor to Montauk, NY (2 nights)
Montauk to Block Island, RI
Block Is. to Newport, RI
Newport to Barrington, RI

Still have some short trips and daysails planned...with heat aboard, we will try to extend our season. Enjoy the rest of the year!

Best wishes,

Mark

Tags
buzzard's bay , cape cod , narraganset , newport

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.