SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   US Northeast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-northeast/)
-   -   Main sheet oday 23 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-northeast/101420-main-sheet-oday-23-a.html)

jayjem5 07-16-2013 08:33 AM

Main sheet oday 23

Hello,
Does anyone know where I could get a diagram of the mains sheet on my oday 23. I just bought it and I just can't seem to make any sense of how it's supposed to be. I have searched the net and come up with a lot of nothing. I am looking for a picture. Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated

Jeff_H 07-16-2013 08:52 AM

Re: Main sheet oday 23

I used to sail an Oday 23 when I lived in Savannah. These are lovely little boats which sail quite well. My recollection is that the factory set up had a the mainsheet attached to a small wire pigtail on the backstay and that the backstay is located off center on the transom. This was a pretty mediocre set up in that you could not being the boom in all the way without over tightening the leech of the mainsail and putting a lot of load on backstay.

Shortly after I started using the boat, we began experimenting with alternative set-ups. I initially made up a wire bridle, which was installed between the two stern cleats and which acted as a traveller. I had sort lines lead from the mainsheet block allowing me to bring the lead slighly above the centerline. It was reasonably effective and took the load off of the backstay.

That worked wildly better than the factory layout, but still had problems; the lead angle was still not very good, the mainsheet block would drop onto the tiller and beat it up, and it was hard to release and tighten the mainsheet cam cleat in light air. I added a small piece of shock chord from the becket on the block lead to the pigtail on the backstay which helped a lot, but was still far from ideal. The plan had been to add a traveler on the bridge deck, but we never got around to purchasing or installing one.

Jeff

deniseO30 07-16-2013 09:19 AM

Photos of the boat would help! Looks like end boom sheeting.
I think it's simple end boom mainsheet to a chain plate (metal strap) on the transom near the rudder. Is your boat a "pop top"?
Here's a free online book. It can help you allot.
Rigging Small Sailboats - Title page
IheartOdays has manuals for $10
I Heart O'Days - Manuals

utchuckd 07-16-2013 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Is it an original 23 or 23-2? Not sure of the difference, if any, but I have a 23-2 and can get you some pics tomorrow. Mine is end boom and connects to a metal triangle plate on the backstay. Not much to go off of, but these are the best couple of pics I have at the moment.

jayjem5 07-17-2013 06:37 AM

Thank you everyone. My next question was gonna be what's the triangle on the backstage for. Guess I know now. Only sailing 420s this is a huge step for me I'm hoping to get out to the boat for the weekend and fiddle with stuff but the pics utchuckd sent explain it all. Thank you all for the help. I got the itch and wanna sail her as soon as I can. Again thank you

utchuckd 07-18-2013 09:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more.

jayjem5 08-13-2013 10:25 PM

Thank you everyone especially for the pics. I finally got everything hooked up and took her out sailing for the first time last Sunday. I was a blast. I love the boat and not having much experience I'd have to say it was a lot easier to sail than I expected. I'm sure I made a ton of mistakes but I sailed about 6 miles down the river and made it back to the mooring without any incident so I call that a success. I'm looking forward to making a few over night trips in the future. Again thank you