Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: nantucket sucks

I dig all those anchorages too. Was considering Menemsha today, but thunderstorms in forecast to get home Sun/Mon have me reconsidering. We're at anchor right now, finishing up a pot of coffee and trying to make a plan. Not trying very hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Tomorrow should be OK but Monday looks real iffy.time to polish the stainless. My boat is being shown in the Newport show.maybe I'll see you.
Old 08-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I often head out to get away from the crowds, but if I go, I will look you up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-31-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

We're on the way North after a trip that include dmy first visit to Nantucket in 7-8 years. not much new other than more crowded and more expensive...except...as I was preparing dinner on the stern rail grill, I found myself wondering where all the seagulls were. Used to be, if you turned your back for a few seconds, some gull would grab a steak right off the grill. But now, there are almost no gulls around. How did Nantucket clean them up?
Old 08-31-2013

Think it used to be a real place. People fishing and living day to day.now all phoney. Think nothing to eat. Anorexic women and the Chas s of the world probably don't make for too many table scraps either.they can't eat the whales on their pants either.
Old 08-31-2013

I've got to stop taking exception to the ACK haters. It will make it quieter for me, if you drive some of the riffraff away.

I've got friends with summer homes there and they're nothing like you describe.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 08-31-2013

I do as well. There are good souls everywhere. Played golf out near some light house if l recall correctly.
It was beautiful. If you keep away from the town and with good people its fun. Just saying from a boat there maybe better choices.
Done with work so much more forgiving.
Old 09-01-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Interesting it's so close, but we hardly ever go, especially in the summer. We just got back from Maine, and my first reaction being on the Cape is what are all these people here doing!

Yep, Capecodda spends as much of the summer in Maine as he can. This is classic Capecodda behaviour, we enjoy watching all the tourists come in the spring, and are equally happy to see them thin out in the fall.

I've been in the boat basin just once, in a canyon between 2 ugly white walls some people call yachts. The moorings are preferable. If you don't like crowds, certainly don't go in the summer. It's much nicer off season as Mini and other's have suggested.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about "ego town" over on the Vineyard either. When we go we anchor outside near the beach. Even there we've left on a holiday weekend when a 100+ ft. clorox bottle (and I don't mean to insult the clorox people) charter unloaded the jet ski's and put their kids on them.

Come sail our neighborhood after this weekend. The water is still warm, the crowds are gone, and we get a lot more wind than the other side of the canal.
Old 09-01-2013

Kept the boat in Marion for a few years. It was quite nice. Love Maine as well. So far R.I has been pleasant as long as you stay away from Newport. Guess just like people in small groups. Once got thrown out of e town yacht club for inappropriate dress. Had m.c. t shirt and denim shorts on. Sailed in on a Hinckley. Owner dressed worse than me. He got thrown out too.
Old 09-05-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
You never know what may happen, anywhere.

We've spent quite a few August nights at anchor and I don't recall anything too drastic for wakes. We dragged once when the wind piped up, and got a mooring(many say that's impossible without a reservation,...) It is not the best anchorage from any angle, but it's not the worst we've seen.

The moorings are pricey but for how often we go(from Maine), what the heck. We like it for provisioning(good market), the bus service to places too far to walk and the dinghy sailing is great.

September is a good time to go to the Cape from Maine(for us). It's sort of like stealing an extra August week or two and the crowds are gone right after labor day.

For instance, we were the only ones on the two Menemsha inner moorings last visit for one night(had company the next). Only boat anchored off Edgartown(not counting +100ers farther out) and the only boat anchored for days inside Cuttyhunk. In fact, there were very few on moorings.

We're headed there next week(weather permitting) and hope to get to Nantucket. Off season rates,...

My profile pic above was taken at the Head of the Harbor. Now that's an anchorage.
Yup, looks like you and I are a couple of the real outliers in this thread... Nantucket has always been one of my absolute favorites... Of course, out of season is usually best, but I've had some great times at the height of the season, as well. With a little effort, you can get away from the crowd, the Head of the Harbor, and Tuckernuck Pond are 2 of the most beautiful anchorages anywhere in southern New England, and you're almost guaranteed to have them to yourself... Proof positive the herding instinct among cruisers is still alive and well :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Think it used to be a real place. People fishing and living day to day.now all phoney.

It's still a real place, you just have to look... there are 'ordinary people' still living and working there, and I'd guess these kids are in for a truly memorable childhood, Far From the Madding Crowd...