Asleep at the wheel
Join Date: Sep 2011
Thanked 117 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Barnegat Bay Winds
It's getting later in the season, and a bit cool, but I'd REALLY like to get at least one more sail in before we have Dragon Wing hauled for the winter. I'm tied up this Saturday, but Sunday could work for a sail. I've tentatively invited some extended family to come with me. They are all novices (not sure if any have even been on a boat, let alone a sailboat before), and I'm not much more advanced than them.
The winds for Sunday are currently forecast to be out of the west at 15-20kts. I've already had Dragon Wing out in 12-15 knot winds (actual, reported conditions on the bay), with gusts higher, and she was fine. I haven't tried 15-20 sustained (no forecast yet for the gusts!), and I'm a bit afraid that I'll scare these guys off from ever wanting to go along again if things get too "spirited". So, I'm trying to understand the wind patterns on the bay itself.
As I mentioned, the marine forecast is for 15-20 knot winds, but that's for the "offshore waters." The winds are out of the west, which means that they will have to come across the trees, homes, etc. before they get offshore. The in-shore forecast is for more sedate conditions, 7-10 MPH, which would be just fine for me. So, on the bay in winds out of the west, do the winds pick up basically right on the western shore, or do they gradually increase as you head east?
If I go, I'll put a reef in the main and will probably keep the jib partially furled. But as I mentioned, I don't want to scare my passengers off! I'd rather be disappointed and declare an end to the season.
Any feedback on what to expect is appreciated!
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.