SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Quick's Hole

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  GMC 
#1 ·
Anybody know for sure as to whether beach at Quick's Hole is now closed to public? I know it used to open for beach access, but at least one source suggests it was closed by Forbes Trust due to abuse of visitors. I can't find anything definitive. When I sailed through both ways week before the fourth, I saw no one on the beach and both were nice hot days. Anyone know the answer? Thanks.
GMC

#2 ·
From the Boston Sailing Center website...

Charlie Schock writes "There is a beautiful beach here which we used to enjoy but I have heard that people abused the privilege and the Forbes have closed it. You can anchor overnight here but there is a reversing current so be sure of your ground tackle. The occasional dragger going through kicks up a good wake to roll you asleep (or awake)."
I'm pretty sure it is closed now. Unfortunately, there are people who abuse the privilege that the Forbes Family Trust was kind enough to extend and we all suffer for it.

BTW, where do you sail out of? I keep my boat in Fairhaven.

#3 ·
I sail out of New Bedford/Fairhaven. Boat is moored in Cozy Cove area. My first year there and I'm enjoying it. Boat is Ericson 25+. Wife and I took a week off and sailed out to Dartmouth, spent a night, next morning through Quick's Hole to Tarpaulin Cove, swam, walked beach, spent night and then sailed to Vineyard Haven and spent two nights. Returned early July 3 through Quick's. We had a great time. I have to commute 3 hours from CT to get to boat, but figured closeness to good sailing was worth it. Weekend before, we discovered Cuttyhunk. Our boat is "Promises". Other than bringing boat down from Boston in May, these are our first two adventures. How about you?

#4 ·
I've been keeping my boat in Fairhaven since 2006. I love the South Coast area and all the different destinations you can get to. I'll have to keep an eye out for you when I'm out... won't be until three weeks or so from now, since I'm crewing for a friend on a week long cruise next week, and will be launching my boat the following week. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.