Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
What is the sailing condition from Boston to NS?

I always love New England. Thinking to retire to Portsmouth, Portland or Boothbay, ME. I am leaning toward Portland since it is an easy hike to Sunday River by train or car in the winter.

My sailing experience is mainly in Chesapeake Bay. The summer is just too miserable (hot and no wind). Not sure what is the sailing climate from Cape Cod to Fundy Bay.

Please share your thoughts

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Buzzards Bay and most of New England has pretty decent winds during the sailing season, unlike the Chesapeake in summertime, which is fairly fluky and light—due to being basically landlocked. However, north of Cape Ann, fog is a serious issue and having radar aboard is a good idea. If you've seen some of Maine Sail's fog photos...you will understand how thick and limiting the fog can be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
maine is the prime sailing grounds of the northeast,i just did a trip to bar harbor from portland[about 100 miles one way]idid an outside route passing the outer islands.amazing.s sailing,i know i passed 1500 miles of coastline,also portland is a great & safe litte city
Old 08-26-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
fog is a serious issue and having radar aboard is a good idea. .
I hope they have sunny days in the summer, right? . May be i should get a week of charter sailing to see how it is like up there.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-27-2010

tgrimmett is on a distinguished road
Do it!

You are considering a wonderful sailing area. I have sailed up and down the East Coast and we really love the New England area. Been based out of Portland for many years. You'll find gentle SW winds most of the summer, with blustier conditions in the early spring and fall, but still decent. You won't be completely immune from hot and humid - there often are several weeks in the middle of the summer that, if the wind is not blowing, can be very hot and uncomfortable. But being on a boat on the water will be a welcome relief from being onshore. Regarding Portsmouth, it is a trendy town and lots of scenery, plus you have the Isles of Shoals nearby. But I find the weekend cruising options pretty limiting. Portland has a lot to offer. Great waterfront, lots of activities in the summer, options for getting boat repair, and best of all many close by islands to weekend to. The coastline from Portland down east is chock full of islands vs the coastline south to Cape Ann which is more of long beaches and not as many anchoring options. Boothbay Harbor is another great consideration. A lot of history of boating there, good places for visitors to stay and shop ashore and a number of close by islands to day sail to, including Sequin and Damariscove. I wouldn't be dissuaded by the fog. It is an occasional issue in the summer and it will make you a better sailor. Radar is good to have. If you are not used to it, it will take a few trips to get your skills up to speed and then it won't be so daunting.

Good luck!
-Tom
Old 08-31-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
I concur with the the responses here. New England is a damn great place to sail. My dad had a place on the Chesapeake and in August it was miserably hot and no/low wind.

New England does have it's "Low Wind Days" but at some point in the day, there will be wind either from an on-shore or off-shore breeze. Don't really get them in the Chesapeake, especially mid and northern part.

My boat is in Marblehead, MA and it is a great and convenient location. With the right winds, I can go to Provincetown, Plymouth/Sagamore, Portsmouth, NH, Newburyport, MA, Boston, etc. in a day. Out and back day trips are always different beause of the wind direction. Sometimes we go in the direction up to Cape Anne, sometimes in the direction of Boston.