Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, being on the hard can be an issue. However, just be aware that if you don't do what your insurance policy REQUIRES you to do, you probably won't be covered if anything should happen. If you're okay with that, do whatever makes you feel safest.... but get off the boat for when the storm actually hits if you can. Make sure you're in water deep enough so that the storm surge doesn't pound you against the bottom.

If you do go into a creek, tie off to the largest trees you can find as well as using all the ground tackle you do have. Even if the anchor's a small one, you can never be sure what will end up saving your boat. I know of one boat that went through a named storm and the only reason it didn't end up on the beach was a small Danforth they put out just because they had it. Try not to block off the creek and tie off completely across it—since that will make you a trap and target for everything coming down stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
Rick, thanks. As for hauling out, that's something I just will not do, regardless of what my insurance policy requires, for a number of reasons.

1) I liveaboard and am not going to sit on the hard during a storm.
2) The boat is subjected to greater forces on the rig and hull due to the wind, forces which cannot be damped or resisted by the heeling moment of the hull. That can damage the rig, hull, or knock the boat down.
3)I have seen many boats go over on the hard during a storm, with a domino effect to other boats all in a row.
4) If you're in the direct path with a large surge, you're in as much trouble, or more, on the hard, as on shore.
5) I'd rather get out of the way, than pull out, sit there and take it.
6) If the yard or yard equipment is damaged, or yard workers are unable to return to work, there's no telling when you can go back in the water.
7) My boat is designed to take it, I just need to be in a place where the lack of preparation of fellow boaters isn't going to be a problem.

Basically, I'd like to take all proactive measures not to be in a position where I'm in a storm's path in the first place. Or, as Chester Nimitz once said,

"The time for taking all measures for a ship's safety is while still able to do so. Nothing is more dangerous than for a seaman to be grudging in taking precautions lest they turn out to have been unnecessary. Safety at sea for a thousand years has depended on exactly the opposite philosophy."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Rick, I suppose the big shoals by the Tappan Zee Bridge would work as well...but then again, the TZB itself could easily come down in a Cat4 storm. (It's a pretty even bet that after a decade plus of sidestepping the issue, all parties are going to wait for a collapse before they replace it. Honest.)
Old 08-30-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rick, I suppose the big shoals by the Tappan Zee Bridge would work as well...but then again, the TZB itself could easily come down in a Cat4 storm. (It's a pretty even bet that after a decade plus of sidestepping the issue, all parties are going to wait for a collapse before they replace it. Honest.)

I've never found the holding to be good north of the bridge, by the Upper Nyack Yacht Club or Petersons. It seems to be hard or scoured there. The holding is better south of the bridge. It is out of the main stream of the river and there's lots of room. There are spots further up the river that might offer shelter, one is across from the Poughkeepsie Y.C. on the west bank just south of the big left hand (going north) turn towards Kingston. I've anchored in all these spots but have only sat out strong winds north of Catskill Creek. I haven't done the Hudson since 2003 so things might have changed. You're right about the TZB, maybe it's better to stay south of the bridge if you ever want to get to the ocean.

Old 08-30-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
So the next Question is when do you leave?

The model on NOAA has it potentially arriving by 2 p.m. on Friday off the Jersey Coast..
Old 08-30-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Tempest,
Did you ever get to check out the Bowline Point anchorage I tried to steer you to?

We weathered the last TS (Ernesto) on our 250# mooring off Nyack. Our mushroom brings up mostly mounds of clay each fall when we haul it.
There is no guarantee that Earl will hit the NY area as a Cat 4. It is really too early to tell what will happen. It is not too early to start planning though.
Ernesto gave us about 36 hours of very strong easterly winds which wrecked havoc with the normal tides in LI Sound.
My point is that often storms like these become 'extra tropical' as they plow north away from the warm waters of the Gulf Stream. Then there was the one in 1938...
Keep a weather eye and plan now, yes. There are too many factors to know how this one will play out.
If it hits the Carolinas like Floyd did we may be spared the worst (not wishing this on the Carolinians - just hypothetical like).
Prudence dictates analyzing various plans now.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-30-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Caleb,

My Bulkhead work was not done in time to get up to croton for the clearwater festival. But, I did locate that anchorage on the charts and on google earth!
Thanks, again.

If, we're spared this storm, I may try to take a hudson trip for the fall foliage.

I'm weighing my options now for a storm plan.

Ernesto wreaked havoc on Raritan Bay...many vessels on moorings damaged or lost. My Marina was unscathed....
Old 08-24-2011

2d Wind is on a distinguished road
Old thread, but if the OP is still around, I was wondering if you had any advice from your trip up the Hudson? We're planning on heading to Haverstraw, though we'll likely take our chances in the marina.

Old 08-24-2011
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2d Wind View Post
Old thread, but if the OP is still around, I was wondering if you had any advice from your trip up the Hudson? We're planning on heading to Haverstraw, though we'll likely take our chances in the marina.
We never went upriver, we stayed put. I can thankfully say that we're on the Chesapeake at a much better designed, built, and maintained marina this time around.
Old 08-24-2011

2d Wind is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. That's what we're hoping about where we're headed (fingers crossed).

Old 08-24-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
2d Wind,
I hope you plan on getting to Haverstraw marina early or get them to take a reservation. There was supposed to be a Regatta up there this weekend but it is likely that other folks have the same idea as you. Nyack Boat Club - About the Leukemia Cup Regatta
Haverstraw marina has floating docks and is decently sheltered so it is not a bad place to consider for weathering the worst of what MAY be coming.
Where do you normally keep your boat that the Hudson seems a better choice?

Everybody has one: