Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011

4arch is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake to Newport - first ocean sail

Apologies in advance for the long post! My wife and I just returned from a cruise from Baltimore to Newport and I wanted to record the events and some of my thoughts/observations. We sailed with a friend on his 35 foot sloop. He's done the trip several times now but it was the first sail outside the Chesapeake for my wife and myself.

Saturday June 4, 2011 – Left Baltimore at 7 AM and headed down the Patapsco and up the Chesapeake toward the C&D canal. Wind at less than 5 knots meant motoring all day but the current was giving us an extra knot or so of lift most of the way up the Bay. We arrived at the Chesapeake City anchorage about 3 PM by which point the few deep water slips at Chesapeake Inn were already taken. We decided to anchor in the tiny and already fairly crowded basin but right when we were about to drop the anchor, the dock master at the Chesapeake Anchorage Marina shouted to us that he had a spot on his T-head. Had dinner and walked around Chesapeake City.

Sunday June 5, 2011 – Woke up at 6:30 AM and found the tide just coming in. The depth gauge indicated the keel must have been kissing the bottom but we decided to attempt to get away from the slip. We fired up the motor and plowed through slowly, making it first into deeper water in the basin and finally to the canal. The goal was to make it up the C&D, across the Delaware, and through the Cape May canal by 5 PM. This timing was dictated by the fact that the mast could only fit under the two bridges spanning the Cape May canal at low tide. We again rode a nice current on the canal and made it to the Delaware Bay by mid morning. In the Delaware we had a nice sail on a beam reach with the current still behind. Eventually the wind lightened and went forward so we motor sailed in the afternoon. We made it to the mouth of the canal around 4:30 and successfully under the bridges. It was an adjustment getting used to our sailing being so dictated by currents and tides since they usually aren't much at play here on the central Chesapeake.

Monday June 6, 2011 – We were on our way out of Cape May by 8 AM (got to sleep in a little due to the tide being too low to leave earlier!) and headed out to the ocean. Unfortunately there was no wind – all day. We motor sailed continuously from 8 AM Monday until 5 AM Tuesday. Saw some porpoises mid morning, but not much else to speak of the rest of the day. Around 6 PM Monday was the low point of the trip for me. With no wind and the sun beating down all day on a boat with no canvas, I was feeling queasy and wondering why I signed up. I think the queasiness was more from being sun stroked than sea sick, and the constant noise and vibration of the engine did me no favors either. By sunset with some dinner in my stomach and the sun retreating, I was feeling better as we moved toward our 3 on/3 off night watch cycle. My wife and I took 9-midnight and 3-6 AM as our on watch shifts. All the lights on the fishing boats were difficult to figure out but I don't think we ever got closer than a mile to any other traffic after dark.

Tuesday June 7, 2011 – The wind finally picked up on our 3-6 shift and we were able to turn the engine off and sail on a broad reach. Sunrise greeted us with more porpoises and we continued under sail for several more hours until the wind died late morning and we had to go back to motor sailing. We arrived in Block Island at 5:30 and tied up at a marina on the Salt Pond. Walked to town and strolled around a bit and had a nice dinner.

Wednesday June 8, 2011 – Did a little more exploring around the island before putting back out to sea around 10 AM. Wind was calm and on out tail again so more motor sailing most of the AM until the wind picked up to around 15 knots about a mile outside the mouth of Narragansett Bay. Had a nice beam reach into the Bay and did a little day sailing outside Newport before heading into the harbor. We found a slip at the Newport Yacht Club and that was the end of the road for us.

We stayed on the boat Wednesday night and after being invited into the NYC coffee klatch on Thursday AM my wife and I decamped to a hotel for a few nights to tour the town. Relief crew arrived and the boat is now sailing on to Martha's Vineyard. We were kind of disappointed to not be heading back out to sea but the experience got us excited to do this again and to cruise more of New England and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
What kind of boat was it. Donna and I have made this trip many times and each time we have had a great time. In Cape May did you anchor or take a slip. Maybe next year you guys will take the trip with your boat and join us. We dont usually go all the way up on the outside and take time to come in at 3 every afternoon and try and enjoy the town and anchorage that we have plopped the anchor or taken the mooring in. Most of tyhe towns have launches which are covered by the 25 dollar mooring cost. We occasssionally take slips also.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-15-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Congratulations on your first offshore experience. Fun, isn't it? *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-15-2011

The boat's a Baltic 35 VTM. We took a slip in Cape May at Utschs. I don't think my friend's a big anchoring/mooring fan and we were just along for the ride as far as route planning and stop overs. He also wanted to maximize his time in NE instead of being more leisurely going up. We wouldn't have made all the same choices (but that's always the case when you're on other people's boats) but it was still a lot of fun and gave us the confidence to do it again - and going on our own boat's not out of the question at all.
Old 06-15-2011

Well the offers there for next year to go up with us. Utschs are family friends of mine for the last 25 years...we always visit with them when we travel. There is a great breakfast restauarant and restauarant across the street (not the Lobster House tourist trap) and my 2nd most favorite restauarant in the whole world is in Cape May. The Ebbit Room in the Virginia Hotel. It is a treat every year for my wife. My first favorite is Roys in Pouipu Kauai or in Kannapoli Maui. Lets get together and talk soon.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-16-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Dave:
Make sure you post next year when you are going to make the trip. I would like to do the trip also. Would need to coordinate dates with vacation etc.
Old 06-16-2011

Maybe a raft up or shoreside rendezvous sometime before this sailing season's over would be in order to discuss the possibilities for next year.
Old 03-07-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake to Newport - first ocean sail

Ended up on this thread and this is something that I am looking to do this summer, I sail out of Kent Narrows. If you guys do set dates to go let me know perhaps I could tag along. I have never done the trip before so it would be nice to do it with another boat or two.
Old 03-07-2012

We are leaving Friday August 17. 4Arch is going as far as NYC. We are headed up to LI Sound and beyound and will return September 3. We would welcome other boats. 4 Arch has the same boat you do. Feel free to PM me.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-07-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Chef -

If you stop by at Utsch's I'd love to share a cold one and meet the OC expat ;-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.