New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012

marktun is on a distinguished road
New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI?

Hello Sailnet Friends,

My wife and I will be taking a Jeanneau 42DS with a 5ft6 keel for a week out of Barrington, RI in Narragansett Bay in mid-August 2012, and we'd love some suggested itineraries that might take us to some new spots. (I do have the Childress cruising guide to this area and am starting to go through it).

We have some familiarity with the area. For example, we've been in the Bay several times for day sails on a friend's Hunter 37, and have taken that vessell to Block Is. 3-4 times, as well as Cuttyhunk and Newport. One favorite spot which will give you a sense of what we like is in South Dartmouth, known to locals as Padanarum.

Clearlly, Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket are obvious destinations, and I wouldn't mind hitting Vinyard Haven on the former, and have some concerns about the best way to get to the latter.

We're looking for a VERY relaxed week of EASY sailing, pre-arranged moorings (anchoring is fine as well), to destinations in Narragansett Bay, Buzzards Bay, the Vineyard and perhaps even Nantucket if folks think it's truly worth the effort. We know to be flexible in our planning, having taken a great Penobscot Bay cruise last summer with great results.

Also, any referral to the best paper chart #'s for these areas would be appreciated....the wife wants to practice her advanced nav skills.

So....what say you, Northeast cruisers? Here's a couple rought ideas, please let me know your thoughts.

Sat: Overnight on boat in Barrington, RI.
Sun: 8am departure to Cuttyhunk. (alternative: Padanarum)
Mon: Cuttyhunk to Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard
Tues: 2nd night in Vineyard Haven, or extra weather day
Weds: Vineyard Haven to Nantucket.
Thurs: 2nd night at Nantucket, or extra weather day
Fri: Nantucket to....Newport?
Sat: Newport to Barrington, RI

I would be happy to skip Nantucket, and return to Narragansett Bay to explore the nooks and crannies within. For example, we've never been to Wickford's Harbor, and I invite those with recommendations of other ports in the Bay to let us know what's really worth seeing. For this trip we'll put a premium on chiillout time, enjoy fine dining ashore in the evenings, etc. So the last few days might also look like this:

Weds: Vineyard Haven to Newport.
Thurs: Newport to Wickford's Harbor
Fri: Wickford's Harbor to other Narragansett Bay harbor destination (suggestions?)
Sat: Return to Barrington, RI

Thank you all in advance.

With best wishes,

MarkTun

Last edited by marktun; 03-18-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: New destinations for week out of Barrington, Narragansett Bay, RI?

I will need more time to organize my thoughts. For now, I will just data dump. You've already listed the basics.

Lets start out East. On the Vineyard, I prefer Edgartown. Moorings can be reserved online and the current is not as bad as some say. But, be aware. It is also much closer to Nantucket for jumping off. We love ACK (Nantucket). I think in some way, it is because it's the hardest to get to. However, you can literally walk to whole town from the harbor.

Across from Vineyard Haven is Tarpaulin Cove on Naushon Island. Peaceful and gorgeous. Anchor only and no beach landing, other than up to the high water mark. Great to tuck in during prevaling Southwesterlies up to anything through North or north east. Once wind is from the south or southeast, it's no fun.

Back to the Bay. Jamestown Island is worth a stop. Connanicut Marina has moorings and a ferry over the Newport, directly across East Passage. It also stops at Rose Island, of you want to get off and explore. The marina is adjacent to the only town with some great joints. everyone loves Simpaticos. Chopmist Charlies is a bit saltier, but good for a beer and fried food. There is a new place that just opened, named Fishes, which we haven't tried yet. Spinackers is an ice cream place at the top of the dock. They have a Guiness ice cream, which is even better than it sounds.

On the west side of Jamestown Island is Dutch Harbor. Good holding and a typical stop over either entering or leaving the Bay. We often drop anchor there after returning from a longer passage home, just to relax. You can walk across the island to the town mentioned above. It's also a slightly easier walk down to Beavertail, which is a nice park by the lighthouse with beautiful views. Still, it's a bit of a hike.

Wickford Harbor is very cute. Not as much to do, but a nice New England town to walk. The New England Art Festival is there during July. Either look out for it or avoid it, depending on your taste. Mooring are way outside in the outer harbor. Transients slips can be had on the inner harbor, nearer town.

Bristol is a must. The Herreshoff museum is great and provides moorings and slips, although they are somewhat exposed. I think you can get a transient mooring atbthe Bristol Ycht Club, its just a long way to town. Best July 4th in the USA. Great little town. I will come back and post more on it.

Also think about Greenwich Bay. Anchor off the Goddard State Park and dinghy in or reserve a slip inside. The anchorage at the park is good, but can get busy.

Providence may be worth a visit. Not much for us.

Potters Cove on the Northeast corner of Prudence Island is a great spot. The Inner Harbor is all private moorings. Do not tried to squat on one. They all know each other. The outer harbor (cove) is well protected from prevailings and so large that a hundred boats could be out there and you would feel plenty far from swinging into your neighbor.

More to come. Have to go for now.
marktun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Having re-read your thoughts, I would warn against Nantucket to Newport in one day. It's certainly doable, but will take most of the day and not qualify as the easy sailing you are looking for. Stop off at Cuttyhunk like everyone else or at Tarpaulin Cove. Have you had the guy that takes your mooring fee at Cuttyhunk bring you steamed lobsters for dinner? I know the guy that services the northern outer harbor mooring field will if you ask.
marktun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-04-2012

GMC is on a distinguished road

Kettle Cove on BB side of Naushon is a gorgeous beach and swimming -possible overnight anchorage (you can only use beach) depending on wind and how about Mnemsha? Great food and different Vineyard scene. Woods Hole Harbor. See you out there.
Old 04-12-2012

cranki is on a distinguished road

One of my favorite places is just a bit west of you, Watch Hill, RI. A long and narrow channel yes but what a wonderful place to visit and explore. You anchor in good holding ground behind Napatree Point, which is over a mile of sandy spit with ocean beach on the outside, a very short walk from the anchorage side. There is a small, quaint, touristy town with restaurants, shopping, great ice cream place all easy walk from the anchorage or you can dink in. There is also a yacht club afloat in the harbor.

If you want a relaxed place to spend a day at the beach and just walking around it's hard to beat.

Other interesting harbors in the neighborhood are Mystic, CT, Stonington, CT and Fisher's Island, NY.
Old 04-12-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Much worth saying about this subject has already been said, for example:
Long Island Sound to Chatham, MA
4 days to sail: Nantucket or M's Vineyard?
Martha's vineyard
Long Island Sound to Chatham, MA

As a local to this area, if I had your opportunity I would visit Cuttyhunk-Vineyard Haven-Nantucket-Hadley Harbor. See Edgartown and the rest of MV by bus from VH.

Absolutely plan daily departure times based on currents, adjusted for weather. Wrong current, twice as long. Also remember southwest is prevailing, going home is likely to be a beat.
Old 03-28-2013

marktun is on a distinguished road

Just a quick belated thank you to all who offered their advice. Last August we hit the water and indeed went from Barrington's Cove Haven Marina to Third Beach in Newport, then to Hadley Harbor, next day to Edgartown (2 nights), then back to Cuttyhunk, then Jamestown, and back to Barrington.

During the Hadley to Edgartown leg, with some good Eldridge planning on the part of my wife and nice conditions, we were flying at 8-9 knts and way ahead of schedule, so anchored for 3-4 sunny hours off the coast of Joseph Sylvia State beach, a lovely 2 mi long stretch. OK to anchor there, but has to be 300 yrds from shore and we had the place to ourselves.

In Edgartown, we took a fantastic, open jeep tour of Cape Pogue on Chappiquidick offered by conservation group the Trustees of reservations. A 3-4 hr tour that pointed out local history, flora and birdage, stopped at a lighthouse, etc...it was a real high point for us.

Jamestown brought a relaxed final night at Café Simpatico...delicious!

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. Once we crossed Nantucket off the schedule, everything got far more relaxed.

Best wishes,

Mark

Tags
barrington , buzzards , nantucket , narragansett , vineyard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.