Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012

jfitzgerald is on a distinguished road
NJ Inland Waterway

I'll be heading north from Cape May in early June. If I'm stuck at Atlantic City, can I go north inland to Barnaget? To Manasquan? I carry 4.5 draft and 51 ft mast hight? If doable, any info on duration and conditions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: NJ Inland Waterway

You can certainly do Barnegat to Manasquan...
I've done little egg to Manasquan..but I wouldn't recommend LE as an inlet without current local knowledge.

I believe you can do Barnaget to AC there are several bridges..narrow channels and shoals...

Chart 12316

Here's the charts..

I think there are folks here on SN who have done the ICW south of Barnegat...that stretch has never appealed to me in a sailboat. I'll let them fill you in.
Old 04-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I have done that stretch as recently as 3 years ago. It is fraught with shoals (1 ft) narrow channels (20ft) and shifting markers. It was an unpleasent trip for us and I will never do it again. Some shoals are in the channnel between to markers. I have a k/c with 4'6" and 8' draft.

I used to sail the stretch from Barnegat to AC yeears ago when I kept my Islander 28 on Barnegat Bay as was very suprised how much it had deteriorated and was virtually impassable now to a keel boat.

We also had use Little Egg Harbor inlet back then, but I also agree with Tempest it is a shoaled inlet where the CG moves ball bouys ( very hard to see in the afternoon breeze and breakers) continously weekly due to the shifting shoals. I have seen a big Viking (the factory is across Great Bay and up the Mullica River) hit hard ad run aground in the inlet a few times when they are taking them out for their sea trials.

I would stay put in AC until you get the right conditions. We have used Kammermans there if you want to be connected to land in Clam Creek and dont want to pay for the Farley Marinas 5 bucks a foot. You can also anchor across the channel from Clam Creek, but the current does roar through there.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

NJ Bays are really too shallow for sailboats with any kind of draft. Even if you can theoretically make it, staying in the channels (it ain't the blue Bahamas) is difficult even in a powerboat if you don't know where you're going. As mentioned above, wait for a weather window to go outside, well offshore either way, whether in Sandy Hook or Cape May/Delaware Bay. In June you should have stretches of SW winds, no TS threat yet.

Last edited by smurphny; 04-26-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would stay put in AC until you get the right conditions. We have used Kammermans there if you want to be connected to land in Clam Creek and dont want to pay for the Farley Marinas 5 bucks a foot. You can also anchor across the channel from Clam Creek, but the current does roar through there.

Dave
Just FYI, When entering Clam Creek in AC, the very first left turn brings you into Gardners Basin, and the Municipal marina. I think they charge about $1.50/ ft.
Marc