Beginning my voyage plan from Fairhaven, MA to Bucksport, ME for July/August... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By truckmen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012
Bucksport, Maine or Bust

truckmen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to truckmen Send a message via AIM to truckmen Send a message via Yahoo to truckmen Send a message via Skype™ to truckmen
Beginning my voyage plan from Fairhaven, MA to Bucksport, ME for July/August...

Hello all,

I am getting ready to sail up the Maine coast.

I have this trusty little charting program called Coastal Explorer 2011 by the company Rose Point as a basis for my voyage plan to sail my old Tylercraft T-26 from Fairhaven, MA (where my fiancee and I ended up 2 years ago starting out in Babylon, NY) and we would like to coastwise all the way up to a mooring in Bucksport, ME where we live.

I have a few bucks set aside and we intend to get the sailboat all fixed up for the voyage but we are also trying to see if we can do this on the cheap and try to avoid the more expensive marinas while we run up (or "down east") the coast. if the weather is on our side, we'd camp every other night or some such but after that first half of the journey a few years ago, realize how much we love a hot shower after a day out on the water.
So, any pointers out there?
Anyone have a lead on a nice small little stopover point somewhere along the route?

I haven't gotten too deep into the planning just yet but I believe I'll have a more detaile dpicture after a few minutes of planning each day over the next several weeks.

Thanks for anything you may offer.

Ralph and Alina sailing the 26-foot Tylercraft, S/V Alina Marie
AlinaMarie likes this.

Ralph M Bohm
S/V Alina Marie, a 1972 twin-keel Tylercraft 26
S/V no name yet (a 1960s twin-keel Tylercraft 24)
S/V no name yet (a home-built all-wood 19' centerboard day sailer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road
Re: Beginning my voyage plan from Fairhaven, MA to Bucksport, ME for July/August...

Don't have much experience sailing too far out of Fairhaven but a couple hours sail away you have some great spots...

Red Brook Harbor, about 2-3 hours sail up Buzzards Bay offers great holding ground, a great scene with great amenities ashore...Moorings are $50 a night there but not really needed since anchoring near Bassetts Island offer great protection and muddy bottom. Would be a good stop along the way North from Fairhaven though too...

Onset will be a nice stay as well to wait out current if going through Cape Cod Canal to get out to Cape Cod Bay. Anything North of Buzzards Bay, I don't know...
Old 07-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Beginning my voyage plan from Fairhaven, MA to Bucksport, ME for July/August...

Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but I received much great advice here:

Maine

Isle of Shoals was a nice stop along your route, but no hot shower. Not exactly clear what you are looking for? Free anchorages or marinas with hot showers?

I think the above thread first turned me on to www.activecaptain.com You should definitely poke around the interactive cruising guide, if you haven't already. An Ipad with the database downloaded into the Charts and Tides app, was invaluable for us on that trip.

Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-25-2012
Bucksport, Maine or Bust

Send a message via ICQ to truckmen Send a message via AIM to truckmen Send a message via Yahoo to truckmen Send a message via Skype™ to truckmen

More of a clarification of our little voyage may be in order:

So here goes:

My fiancee and I are marrying on 18 August and will be making this our honeymoon sail with our 1972 Tylercraft twin keel with 3.5'-draft from Fairhaven, MA to Bucksport, Maine.

We intend to leisurely sail for ~10 days. Our departure is for around 21 August from Fairhaven, and we plan to pick up a mooring on, or before September 2nd in Bucksport. Among my voyage plan so far are stops at Wellfleet, Provincetown, New Inlet, MA, Somewhere north of Marblehead, Isle of Shoals, York, Portland, ME., locations in Musongus and Penobscot Bays and finally to our mooring.

For the fun, challenge and thriftiness of it, we would like to anchor whenever reasonable possible or stay away from the more pricey moorings and slips until we will absolutely need showers to become "civilized" again.

I am watching the tide/current charts and have tried to plan around them. I also noticed that as we approach the last days of August and first days of September, we will be treated to full-moon-lit nights if the skies cooperate. Hopefully, we may bump into some of your folks who may also take part in the summer's sailing in these areas. We haven't joined a yacht club just yet but should be flying a burgee by the time we depart Fairhaven.

Ralph M Bohm
Old 07-25-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Ralph I've had hot showers when on wilderness trips by canoe no reason you can't on your boat!

or
Amazon.com: Coleman Hot Water-On-Demand Portable Water Heater: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Coleman Hot Water-On-Demand Portable Water Heater: Sports & Outdoors

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2012
Bucksport, Maine or Bust

Hi Denise!
Yes, we have 2 of those black water bags, had slung them from the lower part of our mast when we transittied from babylon, NY to Fairhaven, MA, and it worked quite well. :-)

Ralph M Bohm

Tags
downeast , maine , massachusetts , northeast , tylercraft

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.