Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Dock and Dines?

My young family and I spent a wonderful day of sailing in our new-to-us trailer sailor O'Day 20 on Saturday. We put in at Colt State Park in Bristol, sailed down to the west entrance to Bristol Harbor, all the way up to Independence Park, and back to Colt. We found out only too late that we could have tied up at the Thames Street Landing and gone for an ice cream and leg stretch.

Where are some other places in Narragansett, Buzzards, Cape Cod Bay, or Boston Harbor that we can sail to (incl. motoring, if necessary ), tie up for a while to stretch legs, get some refreshments, shopping, etc., before being on our way again?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Dock and Dines?

I've taken my O' 35 to Tiverton, and tied up at the boat house for lunch/beer and a walk.

Newport is always crowded, but do-able.
Old 05-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Connanicut Marina in Jamestown is a fav. Moorings available, maybe a day slip. I'm sure you could anchor, but you would need to get yourself to shore. Spinnakers ice cream at top of dock. Several restaurants, coffee shops, etc within one block of marina and a little park to relax in. Its directly across from Newport and has a ferry to take you over there too, if you like.

Wickford has a town dock that I think you can use for a couple of hours for free. Cute town. Great lobster roll at the diner.

Several restaurants on the water in East Greenwich.

Enjoy the new boat!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I've taken my O' 35 to Tiverton, and tied up at the boat house for lunch/beer and a walk.
Where in Tiverton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska
Conanicut Marina and Wickford
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-22-2012

Boat House Restaurant | Tiverton Rhode Island

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
We never seem to go over to the river and have to give it a try. You say they have slips? How do they work, first come, first serve? Reserved? We could anchor and dinghy in.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-22-2012

Looks like they have a dock:

boathouse restaurant - Google Maps

That's the frustrating thing about finding dock 'n dines: even restaurants that have docks don't publicize it anywhere.

I found this place in Greenwich Cove last night:

Harbourside Lobstermania

They have slips for customers.
Old 05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITBeta View Post
Looks like they have a dock:

boathouse restaurant - Google Maps

That's the frustrating thing about finding dock 'n dines: even restaurants that have docks don't publicize it anywhere.

I found this place in Greenwich Cove last night:

Harbourside Lobstermania

They have slips for customers.
In the satellite photo, it looks like the Boathouse has a single pier, when the chart seems to show something more significant. I wonder if they remove an outer dock in the winter and that's when the sat photo was taken. If not, it seems to get shallow very quickly along that pier. I'm going to have to think about finding a place to anchor if that outer dock isn't present.

There are several restaurants on the water in Greenwich Cove. Some are much better than Lobstermania, but I can't recall names. We usually anchor at Goddard State Park, just outside the cover and dinghy in. We like the Grille on Main, if you walk up to Main St. Its not too far. There is also a great Italian place up there, whose name escapes me. There is a town dock at the farthest southern end of Greenwich Cove where you can stay free for an hour or two. Unfortunately, it is furthest from the action too.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We never seem to go over to the river and have to give it a try. You say they have slips? How do they work, first come, first serve? Reserved? We could anchor and dinghy in.
Chart view;

Satellite view;

As you can see, this is an old oil terminal, but the tanks and dolphins are long gone.

You tie up at the dock.
Old 05-23-2012

Look like that dock goes from 17 ft to 2 ft depth in its length. Seems like its limited for deep keel use.

Jeanneau 54DS