Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Marthas Vinyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
You won't fit in Katama Bay assuming your boat is the Jenneau 54. Look at what I was talking about before, and you would be in prime location for the fireworks!
Yes, that's our boat. Didn't mean to imply we were going to Katama. Edgartown mooring at most. Reservations are slipping away. Trying to confirm our friends scheduling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2012

Sunday Driver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OP, what part of CT are you in?
were from Norwalk

Quote:
Hey Sunday Driver, how long do you think it will take for you to get to the island?
well to get to Watch Hill its 14 hours for us , so i figure to Block a hour or two more .
if we get tired we have stopped at Faulkner Island or Old Saybrook was nice ...

we have been to the Islands before Marthas only by car .
I was hoping to stretch out our crusing ground with the extra hands to drive
Old 06-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Driver View Post
were from Norwalk

well to get to Watch Hill its 14 hours for us , so i figure to Block a hour or two more .
if we get tired we have stopped at Faulkner Island or Old Saybrook was nice ...

we have been to the Islands before Marthas only by car .
I was hoping to stretch out our crusing ground with the extra hands to drive
That's about 70 miles, so seems like 5 knots made good? Hope there isn't too much tacking.

At that pace, Block will be at least 3 more hours from Watch Hill. Nantucket will be further from Watch Hill than Norwalk.

If you have 10 days, you might want to back down the ambition and stop to smell the roses along the way.

I do hope you have a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Thats a good trrip. It is our exact itentinerary when we come up to the LI Sound and NE this summer.

I would go in reverse order. I am planning from Port Jefferson to Saybrooke or Fishers the First Day ( dpending on current and weather), Cuttyhunk the second day, then The Vineyard. We may take Minnies advice and do Edgartown as opposed to Vineyard Haven as we havent been there yet. Comming back Newport, Sag Harbor, Greenport. We will probably avoid Block as we have been there and it is very crowded. Take time to enjoy where you are otherwise it just becomes an expedition. 10 days is barely enough for time in asome of the ports

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-18-2012

Sunday Driver is on a distinguished road

yes i agree , thats a best case with great weather ..
and probably alot of motoring
our boats a heavy slug
so i put it in my head that were already there , and enjoy the day !!

I would like to sail to Newport and Marthas Vinyard ..
my first thought was Cuttyhunk then thought , might as well try for Marthas .
I am also worried about the current so figuring Menemsha to wait it out .
Nantucket is too far for this trip .
We have sailed to Block before and had a great time , Watch Hill too ..

If we make it to Marthas , this trip we would have company ..so a mooring at Oak Bluffs might pass for a short stay 1or2 nights .
but we would all rather anchor out Page Bay looks perfect middle of nowhere with short dingy ride to great beaches .

but I am not sure if i could get in there ..
Old 06-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

So Fisherss/ Watch Hill...Cuttyhunk...Marthas Vineyard....Newport....Block...Greenport ....Port Jeff/ New London

2 days in the Vineyard...2 in Newport...1 extra out there for weather or somehwere

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-19-2012

I think you are smart to get as far East as possible on your first leg. You will be less fatigued and then subsequent legs will be shorter.

I would consider West Harbor at Fisher's Island for my first stop. Not as nice as Watch Hill, but easier to get in and out and a tad closer to you.

Then Block on the next leg. It will be crowded, but if you're there before the 4th, you will get a comfortable anchorage for sure. By the 4th, it will get ridiculous.

From there, Cutty and Menemsha are nearly the same distance. Do one on the way out and the other on the way back? Menemsha is probably a better place to hold up for a few days, weather dependent. Even though you have the right boat to get inside, it will be so crowded, you will still likely be outside. Not great if the weather boils.

Consider Vineyard Haven over Oaks Bluff, if you press on. VH is closer and there aren't many options at OB. If you can get there and inside the VH lagoon (read up on the bridge opening procedure), that is a perfect place for you to hold up for a few days.

Do you have a dinghy along to get to shore?
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 06-19-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2012

GMC is on a distinguished road

I assume you mean Cape Poge Bay. I'd check locally to see if you can get in there this year. Seems to me you could get your lonely/lovely beach fix at Menemsha and/or Tarpaulin Cove on the way up the sound and then if you really want the action in Oak Bluffs, go there, or as mentioned by others, VH is what I prefer. Get a bus pass and find your vibe anywhere you want on the island. As far as that goes, if you get stuck on time as you proceed, you can hop on the same bus system in Menemsha, visit anywhere, enjoy and then head back from Menemsha. Alternative, shoot for VH as first stop on island, and on way back Tarpaulin, through Quick's, do Cuttyhunk and home. Beach at Tarpaulin and beaches at Cuttyhunk will satisfy you. For that matter, beach within Quick's is perfect for isolation.
Sunday Driver likes this.

Last edited by GMC; 06-19-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
...Tarpaulin Cove on the way up the sound.....
This is a great suggestion, especially if winds are northerly. In the event the OP is unfamiliar, its on the southern shore of one of Elizabethan Islands, which are only a few miles north of Martha's Vineyard (cuttyhunk is the last one). Tarpaulin Cove is an island or two east of cutty, on its southern shore.

However, there is nothing to do there but relax. Technically, you can't even go ashore, other than up to the high water line.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-19-2012
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yes, that's our boat. Didn't mean to imply we were going to Katama. Edgartown mooring at most. Reservations are slipping away. Trying to confirm our friends scheduling.
Wow, that's an incredible ship.

Good luck with your reservation. Wish I had a boat and was going to be out there for that weekend, still a couple years down the road.