Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012

3BOH is on a distinguished road
Sailing on Hudson river

Hello!
I am planning on sailing from the Bear Mountain area (or maybe start closer to NYC) to Great Kills, Staten Island. Would appreciate for any advice in regards to the convenient launch area (will trailer the boat one-way), place for overnight stay, and any other general advice from sailors familiar with the route.

Thank you!
Serge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing on Hudson river

Hudson River Launch Ramps

Good anchorage behind Bowline Point in Haverstraw. Some anchor north of Croton Point as well. You can also anchor just north of the GW Bridge on the west side.

Have fun.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2012

3BOH is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much, great info! Can't wait for the weekend :-)
Old 08-07-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Hudson River is beautiful, if you have the time you might want to head up further north, like Kingston. Beacon is nice, so nice that I moved there and has good anchoring north of the ferry dock. When are you doing this? This Sunday there is a nice corn festival in Beacon, should be fun. Chelsea Yacht Club is nice and there is a good free boat ramp between the yacht club and the other harbor there(not so nice). Newburgh has lots of good restaurants. Banerman's Island is interesting. Bear Mountain has some nice easy trails off of the public dock with a small zoo, though the Inn is not really open currently. Nyack Boat club has some good people there, but then again Caleb hangs out there ;-) . You could spend a lot of time on the river. The current does go both ways with the tide so it does not matter which way you are going you will have some current to contend with.
Old 08-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

I resemble that remark.
As Paul suggests I'd look for a launch ramp around Cold Spring or further north. The scenery going down the river past West Point, Storm King Mtn and Albert's Nose (near Bear Mtn Bridge) is well worth seeing.

I forgot to mention Nyack Boat Club which has transient moorings available for $25/night. A mooring is a great thing on a river that flows both ways. Nyack is also about 25 nautical miles north of The Battery which would make your trip home to Great Kills doable in a long day. They have a launch service and ice and restaurants within walking distance. Cute riverside town too. You could do a lot worse staying somewhere else.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2012

nygabe is on a distinguished road

Question for you guys who're familiar with the Hudson-I'm looking into keeping a Sunfish at one of the racks at Senasqua Park in Croton-on-Hudson next season. I've never sailed in the Hudson and I'm wondering if there is a significant amount of larger boat traffic and wake? Considering the currents, what areas would be best to stick to in a Sunfish? Also, any options for landing on a beach or heading to a dock in a nearby town to explore, or is it mainly concrete ramps? I'm based in NYC and am also looking into Jamaica Bay or Norwalk CT as other possibilities. Thanks for any input!
-Gabe
Old 10-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

I'd say that your Croton location would be a fine spot for using a Sunfish. There are some destinations you could sail to besides Croton Point park. Explore the east side of the river then explore the western side. The current in the Hudson can be fairly strong so it would be a concern when the wind died. Bring along a paddle as there is some commercial (barge & tug mostly) traffic.
Overall Haverstraw Bay is a pretty nice sailing spot but there are some industrial structures to look at as well as nice hills nearby.
I have also been to Norwalk, CT. Outside the harbor is Sheffield Island among others. I prefer the saltier waters of the LI Sound for swimming in.
I've never sailed on anything in Jamaica Bay but I know that part of it is a bird sanctuary and it abuts Kennedy airport. I envision it to be pretty nice if you don't mind the fairly constant roar of airplanes landing and taking off. Every now and then one of them seems to land in Jamaica Bay, poor birds! There is something of a salt marsh in Jamaica Bay so I'd expect it to be a bit buggy at times.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-07-2012

Thanks for the info...definitely would bring a paddle, although the idea of needing to paddle away from barges in a strong current makes me think twice about the location. Haven't been up there yet so I'll be checking it out along with Norwalk.

Sheffield Island and the other Norwalk Islands sound like great destinations once I get a bit more experience. I've sailed a Hobie Cat to Cockenoe Island in Westport-if the LI Sound is similar down in Norwalk, I'm thinking it should be relatively protected and doable for a Sunfish on light wind days?

Also looking into places on the south shore of western LI (Oceanside, Island Park...), since I live in Queens and the LI Railroad would make for a faster trip than the other locations. Further east, I've sailed a Sunfish in East Moriches near Fire Island-beautiful over there but too far without a car.

Thanks again for your ideas
Old 10-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Generally, in the summer there is more wind on the south shore of LI then up north on the LI Sound. This should hold true on the Great South Bay and sailing behind Long Beach.

That said, have you been to Oyster Bay yet? They rent Sunfish (and other boats) there for $20/hour and the train station is practically on the beach.
WFC - The WaterFront Center, Oyster Bay, NY - Daily Sailboat & Kayak Rentals

Everybody has one:

Old 10-07-2012

Yup the Waterfront Center in Oyster Bay is great, I took lessons there over the summer...but there's definitely an appeal to owning my own boat if I find the right spot...keeping costs down by buying a used one and sharing it with a friend.

I checked out a marina in Port Washington yesterday...I guess it was a particularly rough day but the winds were whipping across what looked on the map to be a very protected cove.

Looking forward to checking out Norwalk...despite the distance, it could be promising.

Tags
hudson river

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.