SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   US Northeast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-northeast/)
-   -   Mystic CT (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-northeast/90953-mystic-ct.html)

illiniphoenix 08-14-2012 07:18 PM

Mystic CT

I will be hopefully spending a night in Mystic a few days from now. I will be meeting someone for dinner, and then will be spending the night on the boat. I'm hoping I won't have to pay to dock/moor/anchor the boat and am looking for tips from people who have been to the area:)

Is there anywhere I could pull up and dock the boat for a few hours while I have dinner? I noticed on active captain that there is an anchorage called Pine Island. Has anyone anchored there for the night?

My boat has 18" draft with the keel pulled up.

Thanks for the help!

sea_hunter 08-14-2012 10:10 PM

There's all kinds of places to anchor, just try finding a spot that's not occupied. There's an area near Mystic Shipyard but you have to wait for a lift bridge to get to the backside. You can tie up at the Shell station where there's a restaurant but you can't stay overnight. Just check out activecaptain.

illiniphoenix 08-15-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Mystic CT

Sea hunter, thank you for the information. I am new to sailing, and to activecaptain, so maybe I am not using it correctly, but when I look at the Mystic area, only Pine Island and the area near the shipyard show up as anchorages. You say that I can tie up at the shell station. Is it a gas station? Is it on the East or West side of the river? Is it near the bridge. Do you konw the name of the restaurant?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area and am just trying to get a marker so I'll know it when I see it. Thanks!

sea_hunter 08-15-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illiniphoenix (Post 910015)
Sea hunter, thank you for the information. I am new to sailing, and to activecaptain, so maybe I am not using it correctly, but when I look at the Mystic area, only Pine Island and the area near the shipyard show up as anchorages. You say that I can tie up at the shell station. Is it a gas station? Is it on the East or West side of the river? Is it near the bridge. Do you konw the name of the restaurant?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area and am just trying to get a marker so I'll know it when I see it. Thanks!

Hey there. You need to be logged in as a registered user with AC before you see everything. What you're looking for is Mystic River Marina (it's the one with the big Shell sign). There's a restaurant there and if you tell them that's where your going and the dock's not busy they'll let you stay for lunch. As for anchorages all you can see outside the narrow nav channel is for anchoring, but it's usually pretty crowded. You have an advantage with a shallow draft though as you can settle where others dare not. Log into AC and then post back; if I'm on I'll nav you through the area.

illiniphoenix 08-19-2012 04:57 PM

Thanks for the offer, things worked out well. We just went straight to the Mystic Shipyard anchorage and dinghy'd in from there. We hung out at a couple different spots in Mystic, and then came back to the boat. Sleeping on the boat was AWESOME. Can't wait to do it again. Thanks again for the help!

sea_hunter 08-19-2012 08:20 PM

Not a problem.