SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   US Northeast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-northeast/)
-   -   Summer 2013 New England SailNet Rendezvous (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-northeast/96409-summer-2013-new-england-sailnet-rendezvous.html)

DougSabbag 02-06-2013 11:49 AM

Summer 2013 New England SailNet Rendezvous

Hi Sailors,

It was brought up in another thread to consider meeting this summer, on our boats.

Considering I am in Boston, I would like to submit Marthas' Vineyard / Edgartown as the anchorage / harbor to arrange as a "New England Sailnet Rendezvous" for this summer, 2013.

Initially the 4th of July was raised, and then sunk, due to the reality of being "crazy busy".

So, a specific date is still open for discussion. As is the location.

I just wanted to start things off somewhere....

So is anyone else up for this?

DougSabbag 02-06-2013 11:52 AM

Re: Summer 2013 New England SailNet Rendezvous

Addendum: I have already PROMISED not to bring up the discussion of using a lifeboat, or pretty much anything related to our not so great experience a couple years ago.
:-)

DougSabbag 02-06-2013 03:47 PM

So far the response has been HUGE for this idea! I don't think there will be enough room for all of us to anchor there.

Personally I thought MV would be a good target spot.

If you'd be coming from the South, it is often a great cruise inside Long Island to MV.
And, from the North we have the choice of using the Cape Cod Canal, or coming outside the Cape.

chef2sail 02-06-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougSabbag (Post 986642)
So far the response has been HUGE for this idea! I don't think there will be enough room for all of us to anchor there.

Personally I thought MV would be a good target spot.

If you'd be coming from the South, it is often a great cruise inside Long Island to MV.
And, from the North we have the choice of using the Cape Cod Canal, or coming outside the Cape.

Doug,

Whos responding? I only see your posts here? It might be good if they are responding in PM to use the destinations site and have the mods make uit a sticky so it alwasy stays at the top of the posting

The idea of a Sailnet Rondevous is a really good one. We here on the Chesapeake have been doing it for 5 years now and have a very active core group which helps organize it. We have had up to 15 boats and 30 other boat owners who are SN members come. We already have over 25 boats and 30 other boats owners pledged to come by land this year and its only Febraruy so it looks like we may excedd 100 participants this year which would be a record

Just a few suggestions for what has made ours sucecesfully. You can take them or leave them:

We have found that you get the most participation when you chose a site which has both sea as well as land acccessability. Many people are not retired or have the time to make a few day trip to it, but certainly are willing to meet some of the others by car. Even the weekenders unless close by wont be able to come and get back easily. Your locations that youve proposed while picturesque will automatically limit your participation.

It is also advantangeous to have a land based cocktail/ cookout party so people can mingle. We are able to do it in open covered area in case the weathers bad and have BBQ grills and picnic table. Its really hard to raft or jumop between boats and meet a lot of people.

We all bring a dish, usually salad accompanyment or dessert. I think this year we may do an optional Sunday AM breakfast too.

We have one person who is in charge of burgers and dogs and keep it simple. The fun is the meeting and mingling. We have found it important to have it well organized and usually one of us takes the lead. I do at the June 8 one and take care of slips for others, directions etc and also organize the food generally not assigbning but keeping everyone informed periodically what each is bringing so we dont end up with 25 different recipes for 3 bean salad etc. e also do a BYOB, but last year Travneasy ( Gary) brought some killer homeade kaluah)

There are so many active people here we redo this event a few times during the year too and differing people take that lead role which really helps it become successful.

Hope this helps in some way.

here is the current running Chessie 2013 5th Annual Rondevous Thread

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesap...-8-2013-a.html

dave

DRFerron 02-06-2013 05:16 PM

Moving the thread to the US Northeast forum and stickyfying it.

DougSabbag 02-06-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 986684)
Doug,

Whos responding? I only see your posts here? It might be good if they are responding in PM to use the destinations site and have the mods make uit a sticky so it alwasy stays at the top of the posting.

It appears that DRFerron did that! Thank YOU!

The idea of a Sailnet Rondevous is a really good one. We here on the Chesapeake have been doing it for 5 years now and have a very active core group which helps organize it. We have had up to 15 boats and 30 other boat owners who are SN members come. We already have over 25 boats and 30 other boats owners pledged to come by land this year and its only Febraruy so it looks like we may exceed 100 participants this year which would be a record

Just a few suggestions for what has made ours sucecesfully. You can take them or leave them:

We have found that you get the most participation when you chose a site which has both sea as well as land acccessability. There are FERRIES which will bring your car from the mainland to Marthas Vineyard. Many people are not retired or have the time to make a few day trip to it, but certainly are willing to meet some of the others by car. Even the weekenders unless close by wont be able to come and get back easily. Your locations that youve proposed while picturesque will automatically limit your participation. Ferries come from Cape Cod, and I think CT. I can look into that.

It is also advantangeous to have a land based cocktail/ cookout party so people can mingle. We are able to do it in open covered area in case the weathers bad and have BBQ grills and picnic table. Its really hard to raft or jumop between boats and meet a lot of people.
Given some idea of the projected response, I could facilitate that too.

We all bring a dish, usually salad accompanyment or dessert. I think this year we may do an optional Sunday AM breakfast too.

We have one person who is in charge of burgers and dogs and keep it simple. The fun is the meeting and mingling. We have found it important to have it well organized and usually one of us takes the lead. I do at the June 8 one and take care of slips for others, directions etc and also organize the food generally not assigbning but keeping everyone informed periodically what each is bringing so we dont end up with 25 different recipes for 3 bean salad etc. e also do a BYOB, but last year Travneasy ( Gary) brought some killer homeade kaluah)

Makes sense to me, and I would enjoy organizing this.

There are so many active people here we redo this event a few times during the year too and differing people take that lead role which really helps it become successful.

Hope this helps in some way.
VERY HELPFUL! Thank you!
here is the current running Chessie 2013 5th Annual Rondevous Thread

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesap...-8-2013-a.html

dave

OK, I don't know what a "sticky" is in SN, but I trust this is in that mode now, thanks to DRFerron!

I hope we get some response to meet in Marthas Vineyard this summer!
It IS a great New England destination spot to enjoy.

Thank you,
Doug

chef2sail 02-06-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougSabbag (Post 986695)
OK, I don't know what a "sticky" is in SN, but I trust this is in that mode now, thanks to DRFerron!

I hope we get some response to meet in Marthas Vineyard this summer!
It IS a great New England destination spot to enjoy.

Thank you,
Doug

Great job. There is one ferry service from RI
Vineyard Fast Ferry - Martha's Vineyard Ferry Schedules

We have traveled out to the Vineyard from the Chessie a few times as we come up there on a vacation every summer. I especially like Oak Bluffs.

We will be in Newport/ Block/ Stonington/ Greenport area the last week of August should you find the venue doesnt work out and it is moved down further. If not I am sure you will have fun. Our rondevous is always a blast associating screenames names to faces. Some years we do a boat open house/ tour. Its just great meeting people and networking. Some of us have develped good frienships from that.

One of our group is a professional photographer and we met up another time and had great pitcures taken of our boats off of the bridge in Annapolis. My avatar pitcure is one of them. Solare, T37chef, and I have been featured in the Anything Sailing Calander from that photo shoot.

DougSabbag 02-07-2013 09:26 AM

Chef2Sail,

I used to be a photographer too, and have some excellent equipment. So, that could be a very useful and fun project to do at this rendezvous! I would enjoy shooting as many action shots as possible of each others' boats.

I'll shoot your boat from mine, if you let me onboard to shoot mine, kind of a deal!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some responses to the idea of organizing a July meeting, but if there is any kind of a concerted "push" for August, as you have initiated, then August would work too!

Yes, there is a good ferry service to Marthas Vineyard from more than one mainland location, which would, (in my mind), add a taste of an adventure to this meet even if arriving by car.

Fair winds,
Doug

outbound 02-07-2013 11:16 AM

Great idea!!!. MV is always a zoo so finding achorage in Edgartown for a bunch of boats may be difficult. Can't get into Oak Bluffs any day except in the winter(LOL). Block I. new harbor usually has anchorage if you get there before the weekend . Newport meets the restriction of land access the Chief suggests and Block has ferry. Think northern Conn or R.I. may be a lttle easier for folks coming from N.Y. and doable for MA. and NH folks.( with timing Woods Hole and the canal it takes about just as long) LateAug/Sept. is a good time water nice and warm.

chef2sail 02-07-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougSabbag (Post 986988)
Chef2Sail,

I used to be a photographer too, and have some excellent equipment. So, that could be a very useful and fun project to do at this rendezvous! I would enjoy shooting as many action shots as possible of each others' boats.

I'll shoot your boat from mine, if you let me onboard to shoot mine, kind of a deal!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some responses to the idea of organizing a July meeting, but if there is any kind of a concerted "push" for August, as you have initiated, then August would work too!

Yes, there is a good ferry service to Marthas Vineyard from more than one mainland location, which would, (in my mind), add a taste of an adventure to this meet even if arriving by car.

Fair winds,
Doug

Our member Joe perched himself on one of the bridges on the Servern enetering Annapolis and we "paraded" back and forth under thebridge. His camera angle was very unique and we got some shots that were steller. including the tops of our masts.

Dave
This is T37chef and I It is currently the May page in the Anything sailing Calender
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s..._Photo-044.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps8d0b382a.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps5f83a9f9.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps61396dfe.jpg