Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road
DIY Boat Yard Cape Cod?

I posted this in the general section before I realized there's a Northeast US section so I'll post here too. Sorry for the duplicates.

Hey All,
We're trying to figure out our next move. It seems like in order to really get the necessary refit done to get out there we're going to need to move off the boat next winter. We've got an opportunity for housing and potentially work in the Cape Cod region but we're wondering if anyone knows of a good do-it-yourself boat yard in the Cape Cod, Southeastern Mass area. One with inside storage would be exceptional so we could work on her year round. We're young and on a budget so we really need the ability to do almost all the work ourselves.

Any thoughts? Reviews?

Thanks All!
S/V Zephyr
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013

GMC is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Boat Yard Cape Cod?

Hi,
If you end up down in New Bedford/Fairhaven area, you can go indoors at Bayside, Niemiec, and maybe Fairhaven Ship Yard (but I'm not sure). Two things with going inside at places like these would be winter access at all hours, which you would want if you're working on it, but I don't know if they'll let you have that kind of access, plus the inside prices are up there. Moby Dick in Fairhaven stores indoors as well, but same issues as above. Moby Dick, I know outdoors is DIY friendly, as is Bayside from what I hear. Don't know on the others. Small marina (outdoors storage), DIY, okay at Cozy Cove Marina in Fairhaven. Moby Dick won't be able to pull your boat with their equipment, so they have an agreement with Bayside, I believe to pull you out and move you around. Anyway, sort of a sketch of this particular area. Hopefully, you'll hear of some more. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook