Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road
Newport Folk Festival

I am thinking about sailing up to Newport, RI for this year's Newport Folk Festival. Has anyone here done this? What do I need to know? I know you can anchor off Fort Adams during the day. Can you dinghy in to the festival? Can you anchor there overnight or do you have to move to a different anchorage?

Looking for any and all information. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Newport Folk Festival

We did this a few years ago and there was an exclusion zone on anchoring next to Ft Adams. The harbor is mega busy that weekend also

We took a mooring in the area most of the locals moor their boats behind the Goat Island, Behind the Newport Harbor Light on the other side of the bridge going out to Goat Island from Newport essentially off the Hyatt Regency Newport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-26-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Newport Folk Festival

The anchorage will be packed, and will be a total s!?t show in my opinion. Moorings in the harbor are first come, first served, so most will be gone a day or two early. Your best bet might be to find a spot in Jamestown, and dinghy over if you have a big enough tender. That's what I usually do. Just fill the dink with beer and head over. You can't land and access the festival without a ticket.
Old 03-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Reserve a mooring at Conanicut Marina on Jamestown (island across from Newport). They run a ferry to Newport. It would be a long uncomfortable dinghy ride in anything but the calmest conditions.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We did this a few years ago and there was an exclusion zone on anchoring next to Ft Adams. The harbor is mega busy that weekend also

We took a mooring in the area most of the locals moor their boats behind the Goat Island, Behind the Newport Harbor Light on the other side of the bridge going out to Goat Island from Newport essentially off the Hyatt Regency Newport
Really? The pic on their website shows many many boats anchored just off the fort? Could be old pic though, I tried calling them today but there is no one in the office until later this spring.

I have to say the current line up of bands did not make me want to hassle with crowded harbors distant moorings and ferry's. I think I will wait to see if they add any true headliners before making any kind of commitment.
Old 03-30-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Newport Folk Festival

I don't know of any exclusion zone. The only thing I've ever been told when I'm anchoring there is to not tie up to the seawall. Last year we went over to anchor and ended up just sailing circles through the other boats. It was just way too crowded with knuckle-heads.
Old 04-01-2013

Taking into account the lack of bands I actually want to see and the crowds and mooring situation at Newport Folk Fest, I decided to take the boat and some friends to The Gathering of the Vibes in Bridgeport, CT the same weekend. Any deadheads want to raft up let me know. You have to buy weekend camping tickets in order to access the concert from the harbor. Alternatively you could dock at Captains Cove marina and take a cab or ride a bike to the concert at Seaside Park.
Old 04-01-2013

PeterH61 is on a distinguished road

If you arrive early enough, say before 11am, anchoring shouldn't be much of a problem. I anchored there for the Jazz Fest last year and had a blast!
Old 04-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

As another suggested, I am more worried about those that anchor around me than finding a spot.

Just to clarify my suggestion for Conanicut Marina, you can practically see Fort Adams from the mooring field. Hopping a ferry over is pretty darn simple and the little town that is adjacent to the marina is terrific. Several great restaurants, ice cream parlor, food provisions, hardware store, etc, etc.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.