Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I was surprised as well, as many like it. Maybe it was "cheap", your word. I wasn't even all that impressed with Preston Ship Store. We did take an expensive mooring in Derring, as it was nicely protected and a storm was coming through as we arrived. Maybe I was just in a bad mood that day.

Could be that I overheard someone make a comment like this. Not all wealth people became wealthy on the backs of the taxpayer. Most worked hard or invented something. Ironically, I find the wealthy transients on Eastern LI, and in Martha's Vineyard for that matter, are quite liberal and equally critical of TARP.
What I meant by cheap was inexpensive for the LI area for a slip, not the facility which was a 85 on a scale of 100. Mitchel Park I believe was $3 a foot compared to $6 a foot in Sag Harbor and Montauk marinas. The marina in Greenport was great location in city central with an old time gazebo on the grounds. Prestons was nothing special you are right, but the town was kind of fun. Spending 2/3 as much for a mooring in Derring Harbor ( I think it was $75) as a slip in Greenport would make me mad too. If you take a cab there are a couple of LI Wineries about 3 miles outside of town with tasting rooms. They aren't California Russian River Valley or Burgeone France but they were a fun diversion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road
Re: 10 days south of Cuttyhunk

Don't Miss:
Block Island
Watch Hill
Mystic if you have kids and stay in the seaport
Newport

Not essential:
Pt. Judith.
Not a huge fan of Greenport but it has been a long time
Shelter Island was very pretty and very quiet but also boring and too quiet.
Fishers Island is OK but you feel like your not supposed to step ashore
Stonington would be on top list except that is is right between Mystic and Watch Hill. If you need a good marina with a restaurant, laundry, etc. Dodson's is hard to beat.

I have never been in 3-mile Harbor nor Montauk...need to check them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranki For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 04-09-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie60 View Post
I'll be taking a Bavaria 37 on a 10 day round-trip cruise from Marion, MA this June. I've done a few cruises around the Cape and Islands and am looking to explore new grounds south of Cuttyhunk. So I'm looking for recommendations for anchorages, mid-cruise provisioning locations and cruising guides. I use ActiveCaptain, but am always looking for other resources.

Block Island looks interesting, so we'll probably stop there for a day or two. There appear to be a lot of anchorages along Long Island and Narragansett Bay, so I'd appreciate any suggestions to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Let me know if you go to Montauk. I may have a loaner car for you when you get there.

Great seafood. Expensive grocery store. Great beaches.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
The Following User Says Thank You to Bene505 For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 04-10-2013

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

scram up ta maine and discover life as it should be ,portland for provisions and then your in for the down east treat,land of lobsters
Old 04-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I would take Maine over the Eastern end of LI Sound. Hopefully not offending anyone, its just relative.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-12-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

All we do is anchor out. Anchored everywhere between port jeff and ptown. A lot depends on what you are looking for in a anchoring spot. Do you want to be near town or in a quiet spot. We prefer the quiet variety. If that's what your looking for I can point you in the right direction.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 04-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2013

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road

norsearayder & Minnewaska: I did Maine last summer. I am still traumatized by all the lobster pots.
Minnewaska likes this.

Old 04-13-2013

jimrafford: I am looking for a good mix of locales: quiet, busy, civilized, uncivilized. In settled weather, for short stays, my preference is for anchoring over mooring and mooring over docking. If the weather is iffy or I'm looking to spend significant time ashore then moorings get more attractive.

Old 04-13-2013

Thanks to all for your responses. I need to take all that info, plus info I've received from other sources, and do some research. Bristol, Stonington and Mystic seem to be highly recommended. Normally my club doesn't allow sailing west of Block I, but I just got permission to sail LIS, so it's time to start planning. I'll be sailing Thea, if you see us out there, say hi.

Old 04-16-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

In that same area also look at Watch Hill.
If you want to venture farther west to Shelter Island in Gardners bay, Sag Harbor, and Deering have moorings and stuff to do ashore. Orient Harbor, Cockels, Northwest and Three mile are anchor spots. Quiet during the week but busy on weekends. Also nice anchor spot on the east side of Gardners if weather is good.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to jimrafford For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)