Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast
 Not a Member? 

US Northeast New York City to Maine

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road
Re: 10 days south of Cuttyhunk

It looks like we're going to do a re-provisioning stop on the eastern end of Long Island. I'm leaning toward Montauk, but would be interested in any nearby locations that are better for re-provisioning. It looks like there is a small store near Montauk Harbor and an IGA about 2 miles away.

Our itinerary is looking like:
Marion
Cuttyhunk (anchor)
Newport (anchor)
Newport (anchor)
Watch Hill (anchor)
Montauk (dock)
Montauk (dock)
Block I (anchor)
Block I (anchor)
Cuttyhunk (anchor)
Marion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Montauk will have transport and probably best timed with your trip. Cutty actually has a small market within walking distance of the dinghy dock, but its opened odd hrs and doesn't look well timed with your need for provisions.

I know you've been talked out of Fishers, but there is a full service grocery within walking distance (quarter mile?) of the yacht club and dinghy dock. You could drop the hook in West Harbor and dinghy in just for that, then move on.

Looks like a great itinerary, enjoy the cruise!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-26-2013

I've spent enough time on Cuttyhunk to know not to depend on the market. Actually, to not depend on any services, except maybe the oyster boat. We also need fresh water & laundry, so I'm leaning toward someplace I can dock.

Old 05-27-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road

I've never been to Montauk , but provisioning will be easier at a dock and it should be a big enough town to get what you need. Please post a report; I am heading east from western CT for a couple of weeks in August.

BLock has a spot where you can dink into a beach in the Great Salt Pond and walk just a few hundred yards to a nice ocean beach. Easy walk into town and tons of places to rent bikes. Have fun. Hope the water is warm enough for swimming when you go in June.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranki For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013

I just found out that Greenport has a brewpub. Hmmm...

Old 05-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Having been to all above last year here are some options

We stayed at the Montauk Marine Basin for $3 a foot. Docked on the bulkhead where all the charter boats came in with their fresh caught monster fish like great whites, marlin tuna, and wahoo. Was a great sight every day watch them hang and clean them. Course all the "boys' blew their horns when they left at 5AM. Great laundry facilities, good restaurants and bars within walking distance, great family run marina with nice people. Mantauk requires a 12 minute cheap cab ride with lots of neat stores and specialty shops for cheese and also a huge grocery store at the end of town. Great breakfast places too. Great place to walk around for the afternoon too. Great [;laces to park your ass on a park bench and watch all the people walk buy. Its a upscale resort area.

Greenport- Mitchel Harbor Marina one of the best we have ever been too. We don't take slips often, but this place is worth it as moorings are $75 in Deering Harbor. Slips were 3 per foot. Nice concrete floating docks, great laundry facilities. Lots of great small stores and restaurants and shops, good bars, good seafood, great family town, check out the carrousel on the grounds of the marina. Good marine supply store. Good grocery store 3 blocks away in fact everything in easy walking distance as marina is in town center. Real laid back place. Am going to return this year.

Block Island. Nice place. Resort town. Commercial and Touristy. Good shops. Grocery store lacking. Crowded with activity. Town is a cheap cab ride away. Very very touristy.

Now one you didn't mention, Sag Harbor
Expensive. $5 per foot at Sag Harbor. Great laundry and marinas..we stayed at the yacht club. Great Bars, Very nice restaurants. Mega Yachts. We were berthed between Billy Joel's sailboat and Keith Urbans 100 ft motor yachts with 4 full time white shorted bimbos polishing her every day. We felt like the Clampets in our 35 footer. One of the best stores we have every been to anywhere. Schivonnies. Phenomenal West fork produce from their own farms. Good marine storeThis is where you TARP money has gone as its next to the Hamptons and there are lots of "hoidy toidy" people walking around with French poodles. Great place to people watch also. All within walking distance.

If it were me. I would spend the week and make the "tour" . Montaulk for character, Greenport for laid back, Sag for life of the rich and famous, Block for the tourist trap.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info chef... I agree with you about the town on Block Island but what we do on Block Island is dink to the ocean beach to swim and boogie board, go exploring in kayaks around the Great Salt Pond, and last but not least ride bikes around the island stopping at various scenic points for walks along the beach and swimming. A kind of coolish thing that happens once you are away from the town is that kids have lemonade stands set up all over the island.

Town is about 3/4 mile walk from the dinghy docks. You can rent bikes near the harbor but if you walk, or cab, into town you will find better quality cycles.

You will be woken in the morning by the cry "Andiamo", coming from the Aldo's bakery boat and they will be selling fresh pastries and stuff, just wave 'em over and say so long to that healthy breakfast you had planned...

There is a launch service that will pick you up at mooring or anchor which is nice if you want to get ashore in decent and dry clothing....and is nicer still when coming home with a beer buzz late at night. If you are anchoring in Block Island you are a good long dink from the docks. I think it's around $3 per person one way. Leave yourself plenty of time when heading ashore for dinner. One time I called and they were at my boat in 10 minutes. Stopped back a week later and it took a good 40 minutes. Both were around 7PMish.

This is becoming a good thread for general information about the region.
Bene505 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranki For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Oh don't get me wrong Block should be visited. We have done similar there. Dinghy to to beach and hang out. Yes Aldo is unique and you can get $ 3 doughnuts or croissants delivered to your boat. Aldo has lots of moment I l interest in town to like a restaurant and probably the best gelato bar I haven ever been to. Great lobster roll places too. There are 30 T shirt shops to ake sure your buy your Chamber of Commerece advertisement for Block. Or rent a moped for big bucks and go seee the beautiful cliffs and countryside and the summer vacation homes. Neat place but touristy.

All shou ld be visited.

To add to the list , Watch Hill RI is nice but I would go 3 more miles to Stonington Conneticut. Marvel at the wax Dotson boatyard puts on the Hinkleys and Morrisis which make the hulls sparkle in the mooring field. Walk the quaint little town and fin a pace to eat te famous Stonington scallops home of the scallop fishing fleet. Oh yes if you like scallops or seafood go to the only self serve honor system seafood takeout I have ever seen. Get those same scallops flash frozen in one pound vacuumed sealed bags to story on he boat the defrost and have as a gret on the grill with onions, peppers, pineapple on a skewer.at anchor a few days later to remind you of your visit. Have a gourmet meal at Noah's, or a great IPA at Dog Watch Cafe, Skippers, or Water Street Cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
Thanks for the info chef... I agree with you about the town on Block Island but what we do on Block Island is dink to the ocean beach to swim and boogie board, go exploring in kayaks around the Great Salt Pond, and last but not least ride bikes around the island stopping at various scenic points for walks along the beach and swimming. A kind of coolish thing that happens once you are away from the town is that kids have lemonade stands set up all over the island.

Town is about 3/4 mile walk from the dinghy docks. You can rent bikes near the harbor but if you walk, or cab, into town you will find better quality cycles.

You will be woken in the morning by the cry "Andiamo", coming from the Aldo's bakery boat and they will be selling fresh pastries and stuff, just wave 'em over and say so long to that healthy breakfast you had planned... I

There is a launch service that will pick you up at mooring or anchor which is nice if you want to get ashore in decent and dry clothing....and is nicer still when coming home with a beer buzz late at night. If you are anchoring in Block Island you are a good long dink from the docks. I think it's around $3 per person one way. Leave yourself plenty of time when heading ashore for dinner. One time I called and they were at my boat in 10 minutes. Stopped back a week later and it took a good 40 minutes. Both were around 7PMish.

This is becoming a good thread for general information about the region.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Selkie60 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
... We stayed at the Montauk Marine Basin for $3 a foot. Docked on the bulkhead where all the charter boats came in with their fresh caught monster fish like great whites, marlin tuna, and wahoo.
Chef,

We recovered from Hurricane Sandy tied to that bulkhead. I highly recommend the place. New laundry facilities, bathroom and shower. Friendly people. Our 50' boat was $150/month (in the fall though).

You really need to look me up next time you are in Montauk.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 05-28-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Get those same scallops flash frozen in one pound vacuumed sealed bags to story on he boat the defrost and have as a gret on the grill with onions, peppers, pineapple on a skewer.at anchor a few days later to remind you of your visit.

How would you know??