SF Bay to San Diego in Dec 2013 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2013 Thread Starter
SF Bay to San Diego in Dec 2013

Hi all,

We are thinking of moving a boat from San Francisco Bay Area to San Diego next month, Dec 2013, and I'm trying to gather weather/strategy info. I don't know any sailors with experience off the California coast during this time of year. Any pointers, thoughts, experience to share?

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2013
Re: SF Bay to San Diego in Dec 2013

Not the best time of year to do that, although you will be going downhill, baring a storm. There have been many threads on this subject, going both up & down. A Sailnet search may help with details. Weather is crucial, a couple of links;

Northern California NOAA/CDIP Buoy Data

Coastal Waters Forecast for Waters from Cape Mendocino to Pt. Arena CA from 10 to 60 nm (PZZ475)

On the NOAA link, just type in the area you are interested in.

Be careful, not a trip to be taken lightly, especially in the winter months. If you can, find somebody who has done it.

Paul T

My experience was from San Francisco north, but I have read about getting around Point Conception, mostly going north. Sounds like a pretty nasty place when it is rough.

Last edited by dabnis; 11-28-2013 at 12:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dabnis For This Useful Post:
sdjim (11-28-2013), simplify (11-28-2013)
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2013

I've done this a few times but never in December, last trip was a couple years ago in late August and it was REALLY cold at night. Multiple layers under full foulies at night, it's so damp it might as well be raining when it hits the dew point.
Point Conception, what a bitch, it's kicked my butt more than once. The general myth is of a 3 day weather cycle, it's supposed to be nice for 3 days then blow for 2-3. Last trip I came out of Morro Bay about noon and had nice 10 knot wind approaching the upper end. The forecast was for 5-15 knots and 5 ft seas overnight, hit Pt. Arguelos and the wind went over 25 knots like someone hit the ON button. Ended up being a full gale 40-45 knots with 12-14 foot seas, happily you are going downwind anyway so running for your life is in the right direction.
Takes me about a week because I like to stop over somewhere for a night or 2 usually, a delivery skipper I know made it in 4 days once in a 45' boat. Of course he was pretty much riding the tail end of a storm all the way.
Nowdays when asked about this route my first question is "What boat? And how much faith do you have in it?".

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 11-28-2013 at 03:46 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2013

I use a chart called "Pacific Coast Route Finder" it has waypoints etc. for 3 routes, Harbor hopper, near shore and offshore. Pretty good and it has you crossing shipping lanes at a right angle where required. It's about 440 to 550 NM depending on routing, I'd really prefer at least 3 on a crew, each able to stand a watch at night, if you plan to push thru asap.

"Just call me TB"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.