Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US West Coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014
navigator

foamy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and sailing in southern CA

Don't believe all the media hype about Mexico, and from people who live thousands of miles away.

I've been sailing, surfing and exploring mainland Mexico and Baja since 1964. The "problems" are overblown with regards to the drug cartel violence, boat issues, etc. The only downside in the past 50 years is the "gringo-izasion" of many of the areas. Was down in Baja just a few weeks ago and life is still as mellow as ever. If you learn to adapt and follow the Mexican customs and rules, and have patience (remember you are on manana time), you will have no problems. Just follow the rules and leave the ugly American attitude behind.

Mexico is just like any other society, watch where you go, keep a low profile and smile and say hello...in Spanish. The Mexican people are wonderful. Have fun. San Diego is also a great town.
barefootnavigator likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to foamy For This Useful Post:
barefootnavigator (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
Don't believe all the media hype about Mexico, and from people who live thousands of miles away.

I've been sailing, surfing and exploring mainland Mexico and Baja since 1964. The "problems" are overblown with regards to the drug cartel violence, boat issues, etc. The only downside in the past 50 years is the "gringo-izasion" of many of the areas. Was down in Baja just a few weeks ago and life is still as mellow as ever. If you learn to adapt and follow the Mexican customs and rules, and have patience (remember you are on manana time), you will have no problems. Just follow the rules and leave the ugly American attitude behind.

Mexico is just like any other society, watch where you go, keep a low profile and smile and say hello...in Spanish. The Mexican people are wonderful. Have fun. San Diego is also a great town.
Do I take it you've missed the news concerning visiting US yachts and the Mexican IRS (AGACE)? Or that of the drug runner Panga's now as far north as Santa Barbara?

I too sailed have sailed Mexico since the mid-60's and these days it's not quite the mellow place it was then. There's no jumping over the border and running down to Rosarito or Califia for $5.00 lobster dinners any longer and Avineda Ruiz (Hussong's) "ain't" quite what is used to be. A little caution/head's up goes a long way, particularly to someone young and new to SoCal, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-05-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

"hey we might have to move and at least it's coastal and there's sailing," SD doesn't sound too bad."

To me this sounds rediculous. Like you're talking about Cleveland or something. Im dying to get down to San Diego.

I've been to Maryland at least 12 times and it isnt very good. San Diego and Southern California are so far superior that you'll probably laugh at your previous thoughts.

I would take this opportunity in a heartbeat. There are tons of places to sail and cruise they are just different and farther. Google images of the central California coast. It's incredibly beautiful.

And don't forget there are tons of other things to do. You have mountains and desert and redwoods...basically everything except the tropics. What's not to like? I know they main complaint is its crowded, but its not as crowded as the northeast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2014
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
"hey we might have to move and at least it's coastal and there's sailing," SD doesn't sound too bad."

To me this sounds rediculous. Like you're talking about Cleveland or something. Im dying to get down to San Diego.

I've been to Maryland at least 12 times and it isnt very good. San Diego and Southern California are so far superior that you'll probably laugh at your previous thoughts.

I would take this opportunity in a heartbeat. There are tons of places to sail and cruise they are just different and farther. Google images of the central California coast. It's incredibly beautiful.

And don't forget there are tons of other things to do. You have mountains and desert and redwoods...basically everything except the tropics. What's not to like? I know they main complaint is its crowded, but its not as crowded as the northeast.
Thanks for the reply and the perspective, northoceanbeach. I can see how it might sounds a little silly. Perhaps I should clarify a few things. First, I've been to California probably 50 times, mostly San Diego and San Francisco, but also LA area a number of times. I'm actually flying back from SD right now, and while I was there, I hung out with some sailing friends who were passing through on their boat at the same time I was there for business. So I got a bit of their perspective too.

I'm pretty familiar with California's beauty and what it has to offer ashore. And the fact that one can sail there makes it awfully tempting, and that's why we're considering a move (career move by itself would not be enough for us). Cleveland, not so much (no offense to my friends from there, by the way). So that's why we're trying to learn more about the sailing life in SD.

You said that Maryland isn't that good, but I beg to differ, although I'll agree that this is subjective and depends on where you go. From a sailing perspective, there are 4,000 miles (some stats say 8,000) of shoreline in the Chesapeake Bay, which is only a couple hundred miles long. That's a testament to just how many anchorages, nooks, and crannies there are to visit--you could take decades to visit them all. As it is, we can leave our slip on Friday and choose from easily 30 different anchorages (or marinas, if we want) within just a few hours sail, many much closer. We've explored remote areas of the eastern shore and all kinds of hidden anchorages that simply do not exist in California, or in most places for that matter.

I'm not saying it's perfect, just that it has a lot to offer. And add to this that our boat is only a short walk from our house, and we live in a community with several swimming beaches, a number of community marinas, several fishing piers, etc. And it costs almost nothing for us to keep our boat here (seriously, almost free). We take afternoon walks with our dog and little one along the shore every single day, just a block from our house, and stroll past the boat while we're at it. And this type of living is accessible here because of that same stat--so many miles of shoreline that it isn't QUITE at the premium you see elsewhere.

If we move to San Diego, there will be no house near the water (far too expensive), no daily walks along the shore (without driving there first), and it will cost many thousands per year in slip fees to give the boat a home. Does this mean we shouldn't go? Absolutely not. I'm just saying that we have a good thing going where we are, and we respect the fact that this would be no small change for sailors from the Chesapeake considering a transition to southern California, even though SoCal has much to offer itself.
-J
northoceanbeach and zeehag like this.
Old 03-09-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

That makes total sense when you explain it like that. Hard choice. But hey, even though Chesapeake has lots to offer, California is totally different? Why not go because of the adventure? The different kinds of sailing you will do? Life is short, what if this is your best chance to make a really cool move? You don't know sailing until you have mountains in the background. I'm serious, it makes a lot of difference.

But when you explain it like you did, it makes me understand that you've got a good life going and change isn't always good. Many moves aren't for the better and you may miss the waterfront property and more peaceful life you have now. So sometimes if you have a good thing going its best to hang on to it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I think both options sound good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

Having been to SD and California greater than 12 times certainly doesnt qualify me to make such a broad sweeping statement as San Diego and Southern California are so far superior that you'll probably laugh at your previous thoughts.

The last time my wife and I sepnt in the San Diego area was to look at in terms of retirement. My impressions were very favorable to the climate, the vistas etc.

The traffic is the terrible ( even compared to the DC raea from which i travel daily. and the cost of living is bordering ridiculous. As far as sailing we have charter an number of times in SC and San Fran area and the sailing while great for ocean sailing is very boring and mundane compared to the many small towns, rivers, creeks of the Chessie or even the same further north in New England which is really close enough to travel back and forth to eaily. NOte on the right coats you can go north and south while on the left coast its a one directiuonal trip unless you detour to Hawaii.

There are very few museums and historical places close together. And then there is the cost of living again. I would live in Seattle before California. Better sailing with far more opperetunities for places to explore.

But actullly the east coast is best for me. So many places to see you never have to visit one twice. So many sailors to meet. From the Carribean to Maine, and where best to situate yourself...in the middle...the Chesapeake.'

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-10-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

the weather in sd appears great. dont winter there.
we sail to mexico for a reason.
as far as the troubles with yachts in mexico at present is a combination of banjercito agent and boat owner writing wrong dates.... and the resulting mayhem involved as this takes many years to rectify. some have other problems. some never got tip,. omy. go figger.and some had falsified papers.. omy could it be.....

considering how many nonmexican boats are in mexico, the numbers that were tagged was miniscule.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 03-11-2014
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road

Thanks northoceanbeach!
Old 03-11-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

excuse me, but someone said ensenada is an anchorage..it is not an anchorage. it is a port of entry with marinas and a marina cooperativa that prevents anchoring in bay of ensenada,. sorry., no anchoring unless it is during newport to ensenada race week. only then and only with port captain and marina consent...oboy isnt that fun. has been like that for over 5 years.
catalina is closer to san diego than is san clemente. use a chart to plan your trips.measure mileage..not many are day trips.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-17-2014

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road
Cruising and sailing in southern CA

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents worth in. I've sail Southern Calif for over 35 years. The last 5 in San Diego. Mostly day sailing. I sail to relax and sailing in the harbor isn't relaxing to me, you have to have your head on a pivot in the afternoon. It is an awesome harbor, lots of things going on. Navy ships, including subs & air craft carriers coming and going among a host of other things. I love to get going early in the AM, I motor sail out when the harbor is quiet so I'm past the kelp beds when the wind starts. Lunch often under sail sometimes with dolphins near by. As far as cruising, as others have mentioned there is Mexico, but if you want to stay in the US many anchor in Gloretta Bay in SD Harbor or go up to Mission Bay. Oceanside, Dana Point & Newport are destinations. If you want to take a week or more you can work up to Catalina then head out to the Channel Islands where, with a permit, you can do some hiking. Not many anchorages along the mainland but quite a few out in the islands. All the info is on the web.

Last edited by Wcoast sailor; 06-17-2014 at 02:12 AM.